Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

24 hour long haul delay - how to approach compensation

Old Mar 30, 17, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

Hi FlyerTalk community,

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. Please tell me where to go if necessary : )

In short, my family had a 24 hour long-haul flight delay caused by technical problems with BA just want to get advice on the level of compensation we can expect and the best approach to getting it.

Longer version:
Last week, my wife, 14 month old son and I attempted to fly from London Gatwick to Lima, Peru with BA.

After 6.5 hours on the plane at Gatwick, they eventually gave up and postponed the flight till the next day and eventually touched down 24 hours and 1 minute after we were meant to arrive. This was caused by technical problems which we have a letter from BA confirming.

We were put up in the adequate Hilton Gatwick with meal vouchers overnight and were flying in Club World using Avios and a companion voucher.

I'm an Executive Club Silver member - but will probably move to Gold in coming months as I'm regularly flying Club World NY-LON in a new role, having been UK focused for the past few years.

Questions I'd love your help with:

1.What type/level of compensation can we expect/should demand?
- We used a chunk of earned Avios
- Bought 30,000 more to reach the needed amount
- Paid the tax (around 1000)
- Paid a small amount (I think 10% of Avios and tax) for my 14 month old to fly
- Used Amex BA card companion voucher

- Would BA's default be to refund the total amount for both legs (as somewhat implied by a BA staffer) of avios, companion voucher and cash?
- Or to use the European Union compensation approach which would be 600 Euros each for all three of us (as we paid something for the babies ticket)
- Or some combination of the above and/or another approach?

2. Where is it most effective to put in the complaint - the BA Exec Club line or the general compensation website?

Other minor questions

3. Do you think it worth waiting until I'm Gold to complain?
4. Can we bid them up through negotiation or do they use a set formula for this type of delay?
5. Could we ask for a refund of what we paid for the bought Avios rather than the Avios back (as I've accumulated plenty more now?

Any advice on how to get the best compensation would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ultaman
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:41 am

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
You should receive 600 euros each (including the baby), that's all that will be offered. I would suggest starting with a quick read of the first few posts at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html . In cases like this (with a substantial night stop on a mechanical delay), BA will usually pay without objection.

P.S. Welcome to FT and the BAEC forum, we're glad you've gained a lot of information from this forum and good luck in your pursuit of Gold. We wish you were here under better circumstances, but we're glad to have you here and look forward to your future posts.
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:42 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
This sounds like a standard EC 261/2004 claim - BA have already admitted the reason for the delay was technical, so it should be straight forward. You should get 600 each.
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Ultaman, and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, but less good to see the disruption you faced at the start of your trip to Lima. I hope the rest of it went OK for you, and please feel free to continue to post here.

As far as I can make out, this is just the straightforward 600€ per passenger, as set down by EC261. Plus any right of care expenses (meals, communications etc) but that seems to be covered already. Unless there was some other factor involved here, there is no negotiation, this is the amount set by law.

So I would head to the main EC261 thread in the forum's Dashboard, follow the instructions at the top of the thread and you should be offered the Euros, or an Avios alternative, fairly swiftly in this scenario. There is no advantage in waiting until you are Gold, and some people have been able to shortcut the process by ringing Customer Relations during UK working hours, but if you're in no hurry then filling in the relevant link on BA.com should do the trick.
Old Mar 30, 17, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Just to reply on the avios query, as stated above there is no negotiation in terms of compensation, you were provided with a hotel for the night, you are entitled to €600 each (not sure on the infant element), and you were transported to your destination, albeit 24hrs later. However, BA are offering avios in place of cash, 50K per person, so if the avios is more important to you, that will probably be an option available to you once you lodge your EC/261 claim.

Pilot37
Old Mar 30, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Just to add a reference point, with a straightforward claim, what ch hours is, BA should be pretty quick in sorting not it.

I had pay and claim compensation for distrusted JER flights in my bank account in less than two weeks.

Put in the claim and provide anything BA ask and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 30, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
Just to add a reference point, with a straightforward claim, which the op's is, BA should be pretty quick in sorting not it.

I had pay and claim compensation for distrusted JER flights in my bank account in less than two weeks.

Old Mar 30, 17, 4:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
Just to add a reference point, with a straightforward claim, what ch hours is, BA should be pretty quick in sorting not it.

I'm reading that first paragraph in a Yoda voice.
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
And I'm trying to figure out what a "distrusted JER flight" is.
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Originally Posted by Virazuno View Post
And I'm trying to figure out what a "distrusted JER flight" is.
Gotta love mobile auto-correct (it's the new excuse for typos).
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just file your EC 261/2004 claim with BA. Forget all the rest of the fluff. Status, class of service and the like are irrlevant. All that matters is ticket + delay exceeding 4 hours at LIM and that is what happened.

As you already have a letter from BA, there will not be a fight. The compensation is 3 x EUR 600 = EUR 1,800. BA may choose to offer something as an alternative to the EUR 1,800 and you are free to accept that or not.

BA had a "duty of care" (hotels, meals, local transport) and appears to have dealt with that nicely.

Don't wait. This won't change with status.
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I've had two similar delays previously and was offered a significant amount of Avios in addition to the 600 EUR.

This was in the good old days though (think the last one was 2012) and was in F (on redemption), so things may well be different now. If so it's interesting how quickly we've become conditioned to the 'just take the EU compo and run'!
Old Mar 31, 17, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Thanks everyone for the advice - I'll put in the basic claim shortly and re-post with results for future reference.

Great to be part of such a helpful community!
Old Mar 31, 17, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
From my own experience, I'm sure that BA will pay the 600 Euros/passenger according to EC 261/2004. In early 2016, I was on the LHR-ORD flight that was close to Iceland when they realized that there was a problem with the landing gear. We managed to come back to LHR and land safely because there was no wind (the day before winds were at 50 miles/hour so who knows what the outcome would have been). After we flew back to ORD, I received an email from BA telling me they would reimburse any expense I had getting to my final destination in the US. Since the place I was visiting in the US paid for the Hilton at ORD and a limo to my final destination, I did not need their help there so just answered with my request for EC 261/2004. They did pay it.

A year later, I read that the problem was that during maintenance of the plane they forgot to put a rig pin. I still think it's funny that a certain UK prince refused to reboard the flight

Search this Thread
Search Engine: