Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Personal View

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
In relation to the OP...

i have found that I enjoy flying more when I read BA flyertalk less

And some posters here just seem to constantly attack other posters and question their motives in posting

So I spend less time here ... and don't see that changing ...

Maybe others should do the same ? I found rebalancing my life away from this place amazingly refreshing ...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
My view is that everyone has their opinion and, especially in today's climate, it is very important that all 'sides' of a view are able to air their opinions.

Many here only highlight some of the failings whereas for others BA can do no wrong.

My own view of BA is that they aren't as good as they were and have let standards slip BUT aren't anywhere near as bad as some make them out to be. I am generally not in favour of what I see as 'dumbing down' in business generally but that's probably why I will never be rich.

I have voted with my wallet - I used to be Gold, I'm now silver and will probably be Bronze in October. Being Midlands based it's easier to fly *A and connect - I don't really think LH's European business class is better but can I justify booking ex Heathrow flights to Europe if it involves a 2+ hour journey each end? No. Most of my travel is personal and I would always book business if possible, mainly because I don't like the faffing around that comes with economy travel and like being able to drop my bag (I always check a bag - can't be doing with this 100Ml liquids nonsense) quickly, have somewhere quiet to wait, and have more space on board. The better service and G&T / food are nice as well.

Longer haul the proposition is different. I rate QR but given the choice I'd fly BA CW over QR J, personally.

Main thing that keeps me with BA is the Exec Club.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Mar 30, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
I agree with the OP about the vitriol by some posters. However I see it on both sides sometimes the merest slight criticism of BA gets jumped on and torn apart by certain people, and vice versa. It's an internet forum so I do expect some of what goes onbut there are definitely two entrenched sides who seem to bounce off each other and end up taking over some threads. I suspect BA's cost cutting is a major factor but it puts me off posting my (admittedly limited) experiences. I know I'm not alone as well, I was chatting to an acquaintance a couple of weeks who reads the forum and had a bad experience with BA but didn't want to post as he was expecting to be shot down in flames.
We all have our own views and experiences, they're all equally valid and it's a shame that at times the forum has become a bit too personal and a bit too combative. However reading the posts on the forum is still a highlight of my day (shows how sad my life probably is!)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
My view is that everyone has their opinion and, especially in today's climate, it is very important that all 'sides' of a view are able to air their opinions.

Many here only highlight some of the failings whereas for others BA can do no wrong.

My own view of BA is that they aren't as good as they were and have let standards slip BUT aren't anywhere near as bad as some make them out to be. I am generally not in favour of what I see as 'dumbing down' in business generally but that's probably why I will never be rich.

I have voted with my wallet - I used to be Gold, I'm now silver and will probably be Bronze in October. Being Midlands based it's easier to fly *A and connect - I don't really think LH's European business class is better but can I justify booking ex Heathrow flights to Europe if it involves a 2+ hour journey each end? No. Most of my travel is personal and I would always book business if possible, mainly because I don't like the faffing around that comes with economy travel and like being able to drop my bag (I always check a bag - can't be doing with this 100Ml liquids nonsense) quickly, have somewhere quiet to wait, and have more space on board. The better service and G&T / food are nice as well.

Longer haul the proposition is different. I rate QR but given the choice I'd fly BA CW over QR J, personally.

Main thing that keeps me with BA is the Exec Club.
This is pretty much my opinion.

You can't argue management is churning huge profits - good for the company.

But as I've said, I think they lack the greater vision that would say, 'hey, we're not going out of business - the most efficient approach is not always the most effective - little touches can make a difference in the experience.

I also think BA relies too much on supposed results of surveys -- customers told us they didn't value this or that.

In know from my experience in certain industries, customers have a very hard time articulating the specifics of what they value or why they buy vs. the sum of the final product. It's a bit like baking a cake -- easy to say I don't value ingredient X, but at the end, when you eat the cake, it just tastes like something is missing. Usually, the financial guys IME have a tough time working through that part of the equation. @:-)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Petrus
and many are likely not flying that much at all,
That's okay in my book as this forum particularly has always portrayed a false impression that FT is only for Gold frequent fliers.
Which I think is a shame considering the majority who actually enjoy flying BA are mostly leisure fliers who have no status.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Which I think is a shame considering the majority who actually enjoy flying BA are mostly leisure fliers who have no status.
Not really sure what "majority" is based on -- If this forum is the sample, it seems like quite a few complaints from no status leisure fliers as well as regulars.

In real life, who knows. My guess would be most non-status BA Y fliers find it a very non-memorable experience, perhaps slightly negative to other carriers based on having to pay to guarantee seats together.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
May I take this opportunity to thank the OP for starting a great thread, which I believe, as saddening as it is, needed to be said. Whilst I know that discussion of moderation within the forum is technically against the rules, we should also praise the tough job that these altruistic moderators do for this community.

I do welcome the honest view points from all FT members regardless of whether I agree with them, where these add to the topic discussion. I find it disappointing when a a discussion is derailed, and disheartening when this appears to be deliberate.

Whilst I have been on FT for a relatively short period in the grand scheme of things, I think I, sadly, have seen more than my fare share, the ones that instantly come to the front of my mind are those who questioned my professional ability as a doctor because of spelling or grammatical errors, those who slated me for requesting a better way to organise cock-pit visits because why should other passengers care about the fact that I have suffered with cancer and had a headache on my flight, those who have sent me quite frankly horrible personal messages months after a strong discussion on here to reiterate and belittle, many other instances do come to mind as well. Thankfully, there are others that are informative on here, those who make you day by sending a personal thank you message when you have managed to help them out, or indeed make your day with the advice and support they give you or better yet, the likes (and yes I know he's been named dropped already on here, but he thoroughly deserves it) of C-W-S who always goes and above and beyond the call of duty.

There have been times when I've wanted to walk away from this forum, even times when the hatred and horrible attacks I am sad to say affected my mental health (although as often is the case this was of course multifactoral and not down purely to spiteful comments on an internet forum) but other times that I couldn't wait to read more or see who had replied.

I have reflected on this on a number of occasions as to why. One of my previous bosses said one my great strengths but equally one of my weaknesses was my strong moral compass. I will express my honest opinion on a subject, and respect those who do the same irrespective of if this disagrees with my own; it is a civilised society indeed who can understand the view points of others. Indeed, there may be times when I have questioned others opinions (or reported statements of facts), but I do this with the aim to understand and better inform my own opinion. I don't consider myself infallible, and would hope that someone would let me know if they felt I had overstepped the mark and I am always happy to continue discussions privately when they have honest intent.

So thank you fellow FTs for sharing your wisdom, challenging my view points and expressing your own. Yes, I'd prefer it if every thread didn't deteriorate into a rant on BOB (which I'm fairly neutral on and therefore don't really contribute to the debate or read the designated threads on), would be great if threads could stay on topic and it would be fantastic if people could remember that, although yes this is an internet forum, you are still talking to people who do have feelings and we can all use this opportunity to reflect upon our postings and look for ways to be nicer within the forum.

Last edited by navylad; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by navylad
those who have sent me quite frankly horrible personal messages months after a strong discussion on here to reiterate and belittle,
This part of FT I've never understood. In over 14 years on FT I've only received one PM that was dubious (I couldn't understand if I was receiving thanks or an insult). Why anyone would get so wound up on a moderated board about tips on improving your experience flying an airline to send a nasty PM to someone is beyond me. That being said on this board the over the top supporters and haters of BA style of aggression is a much of a muchness.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stuart_f
You are Alex Cruz
There you go. Another insult of a fellow forum member.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Meh
I have had a personal insult or two over the years, and I felt some negative emotions rise in me, it is a natural reaction. Then I remembered this is simply an internet forum with all kinds of people posting, so I ignored it.

Perhaps people should not take it too seriously, and get the very valuable information out of the forum they need.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by navylad
May I take this opportunity to thank the OP for starting a great thread, which I believe, as saddening as it is, needed to be said. Whilst I know that discussion of moderation within the forum is technically against the rules, we should also praise the tough job that these altruistic moderators do for this community.

I do welcome the honest view points from all FT members regardless of whether I agree with them, where these add to the topic discussion. I find it disappointing when a a discussion is derailed, and disheartening when this appears to be deliberate.

Whilst I have been on FT for a relatively short period in the grand scheme of things, I think I, sadly, have seen more than my fare share, the ones that instantly come to the front of my mind are those who questioned my professional ability as a doctor because of spelling or grammatical errors, those who slated me for requesting a better way to organise cock-pit visits because why should other passengers care about the fact that I have suffered with cancer and had a headache on my flight, those who have sent me quite frankly horrible personal messages months after a strong discussion on here to reiterate and belittle, many other instances do come to mind as well. Thankfully, there are others that are informative on here, those who make you day by sending a personal thank you message when you have managed to help them out, or indeed make your day with the advice and support they give you or better yet, the likes (and yes I know he's been named dropped already on here, but he thoroughly deserves it) of C-W-S who always goes and above and beyond the call of duty.

There have been times when I've wanted to walk away from this forum, even times when the hatred and horrible attacks I am sad to say affected my mental health (although as often is the case this was of course multifactoral and not down purely to spiteful comments on an internet forum) but other times that I couldn't wait to read more or see who had replied.

I have reflected on this on a number of occasions as to why. One of my previous bosses said one my great strengths but equally one of my weaknesses was my strong moral compass. I will express my honest opinion on a subject, and respect those who do the same irrespective of if this disagrees with my own; it is a civilised society indeed who can understand the view points of others. Indeed, there may be times when I have questioned others opinions (or reported statements of facts), but I do this with the aim to understand and better inform my own opinion. I don't consider myself infallible, and would hope that someone would let me know if they felt I had overstepped the mark and I am always happy to continue discussions privately when they have honest intent.

So thank you fellow FTs for sharing your wisdom, challenging my view points and expressing your own. Yes, I'd prefer it if every thread didn't deteriorate into a rant on BOB (which I'm fairly neutral on and therefore don't really contribute to the debate or read the designated threads on), would be great if threads could stay on topic and it would be fantastic if people could remember that, although yes this is an internet forum, you are still talking to people who do have feelings and we can all use this opportunity to reflect upon our postings and look for ways to be nicer within the forum.
If participating on an internet forum was having a detrimental effect on my mental health, I would definitely give up that participation. Some things are just not worth it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Honestly, I think some people need to develop a slightly thicker skin. It's an internet form. It will never be sanitised.

If things like that leave you feeling insulted then FT may not be for you.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HilFly
If participating on an internet forum was having a detrimental effect on my mental health, I would definitely give up that participation. Some things are just not worth it.
I think the point is that he should not be exposed to that in the first place, this should be a place where everyone should feel able to participate. I've been the subject of abuse, nasty threatening PMs, public posts that serve no purpose other than to insult, offend or undermine. There are some very unpleasant contributions here at times, thankfully we have a Moderation Team that is mostly quick off the mark when things do get nasty. But they shouldn't need to. Those types of posts should never be made in the first place.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Pleeeese, this isn't the real world and if you care what people you don't know think about someone they don't know then don't post.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I'd say that was a joke rather than an insult. There was nothing offensive in it. Arguably it was a little predictable, but you can be critical or attempt humour, without being insulting. I have never seen a post that I would objectively describe as offensive- but maybe that's a sad reflection of my upbringing

As for the OP, I agree that sometimes there is a lack of objectivity about some posts, but it would make for a blander forum if every post was about a schedule change or aircraft type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.