A Personal View

Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:44 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by HilFly
I'm sorry but I don't see that. I think we're having an interesting, civil discussion.
+1 ^
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, it should be there "for emergency use only". If people use it too often for trivial things, they should be sent to stand on the naughty step.

I've used it maybe 5 times. Generally due to some racist comment or similar. Never because I disagree with something, or because somebody was annoying me.
Given the amounts of complaints the Mods receive about me I have to assume the RBP function is being abused. Especially by those who just don't like me rather than for posting offensive material.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Given the amounts of complaints the Mods receive about me I have to assume the RBP function is being abused. Especially by those who just don't like me rather than for posting offensive material.
I actually think many of your posts are amusing - I particularly recall when you finally revealed you had a marketing deal to promote BA in Argentina via logos on your herd.

On the other hand, I think you often target new posters who have complaints adding nothing to the discussion but just to get under their skin and divert the point they had made in their OP.

I don't ever think I've seen you post anything lewd, racist or offensive, just rude, irrelevant and incorrect.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by kingcole974
It does entitle them to compare it to what the competition offers for £2000.
Or even for the product to bear a passing resemblance to BA's product descriptions.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:43 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I think that Hiddy is part of the fabric of this forum and if he was ever pushed away like some others have been, this forum would be a much poorer place.

I just find it unhelpful when a member like the OP who brings up things he finds positive is accused of being a propaganda outlet (paid or otherwise) for BA.

All opinions are valid. Some may be wrong or misplaced according to others. That doesn't make them invalid.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

All opinions are valid. Some may be wrong or misplaced according to others. That doesn't make them invalid.

According to the dictionary, it does:

Definition of invalid

"being without foundation or force in fact, truth, or law"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invalid

That of course doesn't mean one isn't entitled to have the opinion.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
According to the dictionary, it does:

Definition of invalid

"being without foundation or force in fact, truth, or law"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invalid

That of course doesn't mean one isn't entitled to have the opinion.
You're speaking of alleged facts, not opinions. Opinions are always valid. Wildly disagreed with perhaps but always valid.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:12 pm
Suspended

You're speaking of alleged facts, not opinions. Opinions are always valid. Wildly disagreed with perhaps but always valid.
Am I missing something with both of my opinions below would be considered invalid?

In my opinion, the sun always rises from the west. You are just turned the wrong way.

In my opinion, New York City is much cleaner than Singapore. Without a doubt, there is much less garbage on the streets of New York than Singapore.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Am I missing something with both of my opinions below would be considered invalid?

In my opinion, the sun always rises from the west. You are just turned the wrong way.

In my opinion, New York City is much cleaner than Singapore. Without a doubt, there is much less garbage on the streets of New York than Singapore.
In the first, there are only two days in the year that the sun rises from the East That is a false fact being expressed as if it were an opinion.

The second is more ambiguous as what one person defines as clean isn't the same as another's definition. You could have more garbage in NYC than in Singapore, it doesn't necessarily follow that SIN is cleaner. That would be an opinion.

For more examples on opinions and where they lead, read Søren Kierkegaard's Either/Or...
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I tend to agree, it can be quite annoying when one poster says they prefer X airline to Y airline because of Z and the others quote it and say nonscience or indeed as we say yesterday call them a liar but think we are being civil by putting WADR in-front; a far more mature and constructive way would be to thank them for sharing their opinion, it hasn't been you experience of that in you opinion Y is better than X because of W. (sorry for using letters but I really didn't want this to be a pro BA or anti BA stance, both sides are guilty and I'm sure I've probably made slip ups at times but trying not to in the future). The later makes for a far more mature, meaningful and insightful discussion.

A student psychologist could have a field day analysing these boards

Last edited by navylad; Apr 3, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Can't agree with this one either. I'm sure you're not seriously suggesting that the "victim" should walk away. That would be a charter for boorish behaviour. Hypothetically, if someone with mental health issues gets a hard time on here, should they be bullied into leaving? Should they withdraw from every interaction that ends in being hassled? Where should they withdraw to? Complete isolation? I'm sure you wouldn't treat someone in that position in the same way face to face (if only because it is illegal), so advocating it online would be most insensitive.
Well what are you suggesting, that they continue to participate and put their health at risk? Surely 'complete isolation' is not the only alternative to FT?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:45 pm

Maybe FT should offer online training on the risks of social media? A bit like the classes offered in local schools.

You know, the 'forums are used by anonymous people, don't take it too seriously' type stuff?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
The trick is not to take anything on a forum personally. There are a few from BA's FT Fan Club who try to bully people off when BA is criticised on here. This is a forum and all views should be respected.

Why do people take criticism of BA personally? If you think BA is great the simply put your argument forward without belittling an opposing opinion that you disagree with. Far too many people get upset on behalf of others.

People are more likely to write about poor experiences on Internet forums. That's the nature of the beast. If those poor experiences didn't happen then you wouldn't read about them on here!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:06 pm
Suspended

You could have more garbage in NYC than in Singapore, it doesn't necessarily follow that SIN is cleaner. That would be an opinion.

For more examples on opinions and where they lead, read Søren Kierkegaard's Either/Or...
I'll check out the above.

As a NYer I can vouch Singapore has less garbage and is cleaner.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by dmsmith70

For my sins, I am a moderator on a football club supporters website (better not say which club but I will cough that it is a London one).
Let's just hope you're not a Gooner otherwise, like BA, you'll be all too familiar with poor performance, slipping standards, low staff morale and questions being asked of the management.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.