A Personal View

Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Does it matter?

The forum is about accumulating and using Avios as well. Even a 4-4-Gold means that person is accumulating Avios, so is impacted by policies that change earning miles, and same on using them.

I don't see how actual fliers - regardless of status - posting about broken seats, dirty planes, poor service or experiences, unsatisfactory responses from BA and BAEC status has anything to do with instigating "much of the negative comment?" @:-)
I agree those who have earned BAEC status by flying other airlines have as much right as those who earn their status by flying BA to post on the forum.
Just a pity they tend to concentrate their posts on telling us how awful the airline is rather than saying how great the reward programme is.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I agree those who have earned BAEC status by flying other airlines have as much right as those who earn their status by flying BA to post on the forum.
Just a pity they tend to concentrate their posts on telling us how awful the airline is rather than saying how great the reward programme is.
This is true. The old rule of thumb was that the best FFP was the one of the airline that you flew the most on. The non BA flying Golds by their actions prove that BAEC is still right at the top.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

As for BAEC 44Golds, you are saying they are posting they prefer to fly on other OW airlines that they offer believe better products and experiences. Why is that a "pity" if that's how they feel? My concentration of OW flying on BA has gone from 60-70% to about 5% because of what I see as BA's shortcomings.

In terms of believing BAEC is "great," I suspect people remain in the program for a myriad of reason, like not wanting to start over from scratch.

BAEC (like other programs) has declined and the extra fees make BA long-haul Y redemptions nonsensical and vs. CW it's a toss-up if there's a sale. It's still a decent program, however, I'm closing in on Lifetime Gold, I already have LT Plat with AA, and being U.S. based I don't think CX, QR or QR programs would make sense for me to start at 0. That's why I continue to use BAEC as my accumulator. I don't believe BAEC is a "great" program. It's in the upper middling where IMO none of the programs I play in are close to what they were 10 years ago. It's just the best of my alternative.

Last edited by elitetraveler; Apr 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
As for BAEC 44Golds, you are saying they are posting they prefer to fly on other OW airlines that they offer believe better products and experiences. Why is that a "pity" if that's how they feel? My concentration of OW flying on BA has gone from 60-70% to about 5% because of what I see as BA's shortcomings.

In terms of believing BAEC is "great," I suspect people remain in the program for a myriad of reason, like not wanting to start over from scratch.

BAEC (like other programs) has declined and the extra fees make BA long-haul Y redemptions nonsensical and vs. CW it's a toss-up if there's a sale. It's still a decent program, however, I'm closing in on Lifetime Gold, I already have LT Plat with AA, and being U.S. based I don't think CX, QR or QR programs would make sense for me to start at 0. That's why I continue to use BAEC as my accumulator. I don't believe BAEC is a "great" program. It's in the upper middling where IMO none of the programs I play in are close to what they were 10 years ago. It's just the best of my alternative.
BAEC might not be great but which FFP are? I don't live in or travel to the US so the supposedly great AA EXP or UA PremEx levels are useless to me. Surely if someone is flying CX or QR or AA almost exclusively which we read about on here all the time their respective programs would make more sense than BAEC if they were even upper middling?

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
BAEC might not be great but which FFP are?
I think that's what I said -- The ones I am familiar with are all quite poor when compared with the good times of 10 to 20 years ago. Nothing worth jumping to.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I don't live in or travel to the US so the supposedly great AA EXP or UA PremEx levels are useless to me. Surely if someone is flying CX or QR or AA almost exclusively which we read about on here all the time their respective programs would make more sense than BAEC if they were even upper middling?
BAEC Gold for an AA flier in North America provides free Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges, Silver provides free AC - so about a $500 annual value. For anyone who is flying paid F/J in N America on AA and doesn't care about upgrades, that's a good value, particularly for Flagship lounges since you can't buy access.

I think pretty much everyone and anyone would also say that UA and AA have followed through in gutting their programs, although maybe not as far as DL. I gave a look at going back to AA as my accumulator, not for status, as I have LT Plat, but just accumulation. I will keep putting my OW miles into BAEC simply because I have a BAEC credit card and 500,000 + miles sitting there.

I can't speak for others, but one reason it's still sitting there is each time I look to use them, the redemption doesn't make sense because of the fees so I buy a ticket on another carrier in premium class, or it's not available and I just buy a premium class ticket on another carrier, or I redeem from my stash of LH or AX miles.

I never really looked at CX and QR, except I read QR's redemption center is not very good.

For your point, however, if one is invested in BAEC - either moving towards Lifetime Gold (a very attractive perk if it stays as is for OW lounge benefits) or you have a stack of miles in BAEC, I can see why without anything clearly better out there, one would stay with BAEC as their accumulator, particularly as there wouldn't be a strong reason to switch unless you were domestic AA needing comp upgrades. Again, it's not a vote saying BAEC is great - just that there is not another compelling proposition that makes one want to take a step back to go forward.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I'm happy to support Navylad's viewpoint on this.

This board is populated by real people (with real feelings) and a mutual interest in (and mutual frustration with at times!) airline travel and BA/BAEC. Let's all try to be more respectful, more helpful, and more understanding. We're not fighting the laws of physics like Canute - we can all change our behaviour to be a little more CWS like
You are pencilling in a utopia of mutual respect and consideration. Many places, virtual and horribly real, would be better if people would just get along nicely. But advocating such a state of affairs is about as effective on the internet as it is in the middle-east.

Appealing to posters' better nature is fine if you have time on your hands, but it's destined to be an exercise in frustration. You won't change behaviour by expressing well-meaning concern.

Where a poster feels damaged, hurt, victimised and distressed the only sensible advice is to withdraw from the conflict. In withdrawal the victim might like to reflect on why he/she quite uniquely attracted hostility - but that analysis is for another day.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Where a poster feels damaged, hurt, victimised and distressed the only sensible advice is to withdraw from the conflict. In withdrawal the victim might like to reflect on why he/she quite uniquely attracted hostility - but that analysis is for another day.

I think another option that is supposed to be the rule here on FT is the "Report Post" button to alert the Mods when one feels that the post was outside the FT TOS. At the end of the day, they are the ones who decide what constitutes violations of FT TOS. I would think that goes for direct messages as well.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I would think that goes for direct messages as well.
On FT, Private Messages are subject to the same Rules as posts, so any member who receives abuse by PM is invited to notify the moderators.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
On FT, Private Messages are subject to the same Rules as posts, so any member who receives abuse by PM is invited to notify the moderators.
^
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Deleted and goodbye to you all

Last edited by docsxx; Apr 2, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
You are pencilling in a utopia of mutual respect and consideration. Many places, virtual and horribly real, would be better if people would just get along nicely. But advocating such a state of affairs is about as effective on the internet as it is in the middle-east.
I agree that the position in the middle-east is beyond moderation, but the fora here have both rules and moderators (who do a great job). Interesting threads are regularly closed due to people who don't care about "getting along nicely", which is to everyone's detriment.

Appealing to posters' better nature is fine if you have time on your hands, but it's destined to be an exercise in frustration. You won't change behaviour by expressing well-meaning concern.
Sounds like a challenge

Can't agree with this one either. I'm sure you're not seriously suggesting that the "victim" should walk away. That would be a charter for boorish behaviour. Hypothetically, if someone with mental health issues gets a hard time on here, should they be bullied into leaving? Should they withdraw from every interaction that ends in being hassled? Where should they withdraw to? Complete isolation? I'm sure you wouldn't treat someone in that position in the same way face to face (if only because it is illegal), so advocating it online would be most insensitive.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by docsxx

- Fist lounge in London.
I didn't realise emotions ran that high.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I didn't realise emotions ran that high.
good spot
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I agree that the position in the middle-east is beyond moderation, but the fora here have both rules and moderators (who do a great job). Interesting threads are regularly closed due to people who don't care about "getting along nicely", which is to everyone's detriment.

Sounds like a challenge

Can't agree with this one either. I'm sure you're not seriously suggesting that the "victim" should walk away. That would be a charter for boorish behaviour. Hypothetically, if someone with mental health issues gets a hard time on here, should they be bullied into leaving? Should they withdraw from every interaction that ends in being hassled? Where should they withdraw to? Complete isolation? I'm sure you wouldn't treat someone in that position in the same way face to face (if only because it is illegal), so advocating it online would be most insensitive.
I don't approve of bullying or insulting behavior, but there are people who see bullying and insults where there is none. Another poster once accused me of stalking them because I had posted in the same threads as them and responded to some of their posts!!

I wouldn't post on an internet forum if I couldn't take the robust discussion and disagreement therein. A discussion can be heated without being bullying, abusive or insulting.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I would never call the BAEC Reward Program rewarding ! Far from it when you factor in the outrageous FEES, number of avios required and service levels slippage over the years. And yes I do speak from experiences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.