Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Marketed Aer Lingus Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

BA Marketed Aer Lingus Baggage Question

So on my upcoming flight I will be flying AA into LHR and then flying BA on Aer Lingus metal to Shannon. Since I have Plat with AA I should get a free checked bag with BA. Does this also apply to BA marketed flights? Will I get a free checked bag on my flight to Ireland?

Also I have heard that the carry on rules are much stricter in Europe than in the US. I an used to taking my 17" laptop backpack as my personal item as well as my 21" roller bag. I assume this will not fly with BA?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:24 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If it is on one ticket then the longhaul baggage allowance applies.
On separate tickets then the operating carrier (EI) baggage allowance applies.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by darkguy2
So on my upcoming flight I will be flying AA into LHR and then flying BA on Aer Lingus metal to Shannon. Since I have Plat with AA I should get a free checked bag with BA. Does this also apply to BA marketed flights? Will I get a free checked bag on my flight to Ireland?

Also I have heard that the carry on rules are much stricter in Europe than in the US. I an used to taking my 17" laptop backpack as my personal item as well as my 21" roller bag. I assume this will not fly with BA?
On the ticket / itinerary receoipt , the baggage allowance will be printed. If it says 2 pieces of 23Kg, then that will apply to the whole journey - if it says 1 piece of 23Kg, then the extra allowance will not apply

The OW benefit of additional allowance only applies where the flight is both marketed by and operated by a OW carrier - so check the receipt

Regardless - there will be at least a 1 piece allowance for the entire journey
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If it's literally a laptop in a cover case, then that should be OK.

However I suspect you are considering something more like a 30l - 40l backpack that happens to hold a laptop as well as many other things, then that may not be allowed on board, especially in economy.

Frankly it should not be allowed; a 21" bag and such a backpack is far beyond the BA allowance or any reasonable interpretation of "One carry on bag, one personal item".
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
If it's literally a laptop in a cover case, then that should be OK.

However I suspect you are considering something more like a 30l - 40l backpack that happens to hold a laptop as well as many other things, then that may not be allowed on board, especially in economy.
The backpack is not a backpacking one. It is probably around 20l, just sized to hold a 17" laptop. I also have a smaller one sized for a 15" laptop. I have never had a problem with either fitting under any seat in the US.

Originally Posted by nux
If it is on one ticket then the longhaul baggage allowance applies.
On separate tickets then the operating carrier (EI) baggage allowance applies.
The flights from LHR to Ireland are on a separate booking than the flight from the US. The flight back from Ireland is a BA flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The flights from LHR to Ireland are on a separate booking than the flight from the US. The flight back from Ireland is a BA flight.
The general point about codeshares applies here, namely that subject to all the other factors, the core allowance is Aer Lingus' rules, indeed when booking on BA.com there is a clear note that effectively says that EI's rules apply.

So if you have a LHR-SNN-LHR standalone ticket then you may have merely EI's allowance, which could be zero or one bag depending on the ticket type you bought. You can buy additional baggage allowance by telephoning EI in advance, it's usually cheaper than doing it at the airport but some FTers have reported problems doing this with BA codeshares (though equally some have managed it without issue). Moreover I suspect you will have to recheck your bag in Terminal T2 rather than having it through checked, which would require one ticket rather than 2, and that also means you need to get to T2 via the landside route.

EI are fairly tolerant about bag size, it is somewhat over the limit but LHR-SNN is rarely a full flight in my not-huge experience, so you may be OK. At check-in in T2 and SNN, I would have the backpack on your shoulders rather than presenting two hand baggage items in clear view.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The general point about codeshares applies here, namely that subject to all the other factors, the core allowance is Aer Lingus' rules, indeed when booking on BA.com there is a clear note that effectively says that EI's rules apply.

So if you have a LHR-SNN-LHR standalone ticket then you may have merely EI's allowance, which could be zero or one bag depending on the ticket type you bought. You can buy additional baggage allowance by telephoning EI in advance, it's usually cheaper than doing it at the airport but some FTers have reported problems doing this with BA codeshares (though equally some have managed it without issue). Moreover I suspect you will have to recheck your bag in Terminal T2 rather than having it through checked, which would require one ticket rather than 2, and that also means you need to get to T2 via the landside route.

EI are fairly tolerant about bag size, it is somewhat over the limit but LHR-SNN is rarely a full flight in my not-huge experience, so you may be OK. At check-in in T2 and SNN, I would have the backpack on your shoulders rather than presenting two hand baggage items in clear view.
Thanks for the info. I am flying into SNN on EI and back out of DUB on BA. If they are going to make me check my bag will it be at check-in? I don't want to check my suitcase only to be forced to check my backpack at the gate. I can always thow my backpack into my checked bag. I will probably bring my North Face Pivoter backpack instead of my large Targus backpack. Chances of having a problem at the gate?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Chances of having a problem at the gate?
If you get to the gate you are unlikely to have a problem since the SNN services are rarely full. The issue may be getting it past the Aer Lingus staff at LHR T2 check-in, since baggage charging is a key aspect of EI's business model. Now I don't do this checked baggage malarkey at all, so I'm not the best person to comment on the likely reaction there, but there may be something in the Aer Lingus forum if you search.

For the return, DUB-LHR often is a full service with luggage issues, so if you are taking 2 bags it wouldn't be very surprising if one is taken at the gate. If the flight isn't full I doubt there would be a problem.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi

I have a flight which has been re ticketed DUB - LHR - ABZ by BA. The first sector is now on EI (BA codeshare) rather than BA as they have cancelled their flights on the route. It is then onto BA metal up to ABZ.

From looking at the websites it’s a bit ambiguous as to the baggage allowance. 1 bag at 23 KGs is on the ticket but due to status I will have 2 at 32KGs on the Aberdeen sector.

BA notes that the higher baggage allowance is applied on codeshares for the most significant sector. In this itinerary it is BA ticketed and the BA metal flight to ABZ is longer than the DUB - LHR flight.

Would this permit me a higher baggage allowance?

I will likely have to check my hand luggage as it’s the largest permissible size for BA so much greater than EI’s and I will already be well over over the 23 KG limit.

EI state that any excess baggage at the airport is at €10 per KG so likely around €300 for all my baggage.

If I do end up having to pay this, would BA reimburse me as I was ticketed on BA and all would have been in my allowance with status?

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
If I do end up having to pay this, would BA reimburse me as I was ticketed on BA and all would have been in my allowance with status?
Yes, they would and fairly swiftly, but it shouldn't be a problem, EI in DUB willl know it's BA marketed and 125 plated, so quite used to operating at the BA limits for the whole trip.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Perfect, thanks for the info CWS.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Checking to get more current information. I'm booking a BA award 4000 Avios + $60 from LHR to SNN. Flight is operated by Aer Lingus. Say 1 piece of checked baggage is allowed. The calculator won't display AE prices (understandably). Any ballpark estimates of the additional bag fee? FWIW I'm Oneworld Sapphire, though I doubt if that gets anything on Aer Lingus.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by rj123456
Checking to get more current information. I'm booking a BA award 4000 Avios + $60 from LHR to SNN. Flight is operated by Aer Lingus. Say 1 piece of checked baggage is allowed. The calculator won't display AE prices (understandably). Any ballpark estimates of the additional bag fee? FWIW I'm Oneworld Sapphire, though I doubt if that gets anything on Aer Lingus.
I think about €25-30. But you will need to call EI to add the additional item I reckon. Find the EI PNR if you can (begins with a "2"). If you access the flight online via Aer Lingus website it will likely say you have no baggage allowance but this is a glitch and you will have 20kg included but trying to add more online could be problematic. Calling EI is a bit of a lottery at the moment but likely the only way.

No OW benefits on EI.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mccartje
I think about €25-30. But you will need to call EI to add the additional item I reckon. Find the EI PNR if you can (begins with a "2"). If you access the flight online via Aer Lingus website it will likely say you have no baggage allowance but this is a glitch and you will have 20kg included but trying to add more online could be problematic. Calling EI is a bit of a lottery at the moment but likely the only way.

No OW benefits on EI.
Thanks. I haven't booked yet, trying to decide which is better: EI (burning off some Avios) vs Ryan Air.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Does a BA Silver get lounge access at EDI when flying on an Aer Lingus flight that was sold by BA?

Don't think you do get Lounge access but does seem rather odd!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.