Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop free flying - AMM - LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Laptop free flying - AMM - LHR

As a datapoint, I flew on the BA 146 AMM- LHR today. Standard security at check in. Staff clarified that all laptops, iPads etc were packed in hold baggage. Very efficient security screening and no queue at fast track

Was advised to arrive at gate an hour prior to scheduled departure which I did. At the gate there were two queues - men and women - for a full security check: a thorough search of all hand baggage and then a body pat down.

Then, on boarding, random selection of pax for a swab and spectrometer test for explosives etc.

Whilst it sounds extensive - and it is, it was all handled very efficiently with minimal delay or inconvenience.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Needing to be at the gate 1 hour before departure seems pretty inconveniant to me
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the update pjh981 - just arrived into AMM (on RJ), but returning on BA next week. How early did you arrive at the airport if you needed to be at the gate 1hr prior to dept ... it's a pretty early flight (0735 dept time)? Was it just one queue for each gender? Were there any 'fast track' security at the gate for J class/OW Emerald passengers?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:46 am

Further datapoint on this, having flown back from AMM earlier this week.

Check-in for the flight was smooth & easy - extra question about whether I/my wife had packed our laptops in our hold luggage, and if we had any extra power banks. There were no queues at the time we arrived at the airport (approx. T-2hrs before the flight). There was no queues at immigration at that hour (0530hrs), nor at security.

I must add that security were frankly useless - my wife went through ahead of me. I was subjected to requests to take off belt & shoes after the first security official said I didn't need to. Others around me did not have to take off either. Full pat down required for me as well. Additionally, my wife noticed that the security officials were not fully observing the screens. My bag was selected for a full deep dive into it - with the officials claiming I had a knife onboard - which considering they weren't looking at the screen when it went through was bizarre. Suffice to say there wasn't a knife in my bag...

After a stay at the RJ Crown Lounge (not brilliant, not woeful), I headed down to gate 204 for the flight. This is right at the end of the terminal, and this gate was separated from the rest of the boarding area by means of a double tensa barrier creating a 'no-mans land'. Here at the gate, there was a full hand baggage and person search - pat downs rather than using a wand. It was conducted by local security staff, but overseen by two 'British looking' individuals who spoke English with a UK accent. I think they were from the Embassy or FCO/DfT. They clarified the security officers questions - for example when security weren't sure if I was allowed my DSLR camera on my person, the 'British' lady said yes.

Calling a spade a spade, it was all pure theatre.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pjh981
As a datapoint, I flew on the BA 146 AMM- LHR today. Standard security at check in. Staff clarified that all laptops, iPads etc were packed in hold baggage. Very efficient security screening and no queue at fast track.
OT, but I have never been directed to Fast Track security at AMM, despite many visits in J. I did enjoy the RJ "Wing" however when I used them once.

My last visit to AMM was in February.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
OT, but I have never been directed to Fast Track security at AMM, despite many visits in J. I did enjoy the RJ "Wing" however when I used them once.

My last visit to AMM was in February.
+1 They recently installed a fast track channel and you had to pay for it. Flying BA ex AMM last month (and on a few occasions previously) no one gave me any vouchers/directions there, so could the OP clarify if they were given a voucher at check in,or if they just showed BP at the entrance?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and More, Flying Blue, VA, Accor
A slightly odd question, but were larger mobile phones measured at security (I own a LG V20 which is apparently 15.97cm tall)?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
+1 They recently installed a fast track channel and you had to pay for it. Flying BA ex AMM last month (and on a few occasions previously) no one gave me any vouchers/directions there, so could the OP clarify if they were given a voucher at check in,or if they just showed BP at the entrance?
I can tell you if your BA departure is at 0735, there is no queues at immigration at T-2hrs: there are very few other departures at that time of day.

Originally Posted by LJOP
A slightly odd question, but were larger mobile phones measured at security (I own a LG V20 which is apparently 15.97cm tall)?
Yes. At check in there are silhouette print outs (width by height) attached to the check in desks, which your phone should fit within. At gate, there are Perspex devices which your phone should fit through (not too dissimilar to what Royal Mail uses at Post Offices to check if your mail is "small" or "large" envelope size.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
What happens to people who only travel HBO and refuse to check baggage? Will the airline securely stow electronics on their own?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No, on BA you comply or you don't fly.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BA6501
No, on BA you comply or you don't fly.
No Thinking, No Flying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.