Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 First Wing - picture review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Does BA charge for food in the lounge as well?
They should pay us for some of the slop they serve these days

Great report and photos from OP! ^
Shame about the Concorde Room door being closed. Was very convenient for shops and always enjoy turning right straight after South Security.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
How will this work if your traveling with more than one guest as the rules would surely state your only allowed one guest. Previously if traveling with a family in first with you could all checkin at the First Area?
This is a question that doesn't seem to have been answered explicitly anywhere (I apologise if it should be obvious from the photos!)... If you're travelling with more than your Flounge guest capacity—and it's half term and the Club counters are heaving—can you still check in at a First desk and then turn around and head for South Fast Track? Or will that be impossible?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
F check in desks have not moved. You can use them as before and go wherever you want afterwards.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
F check in desks have not moved. You can use them as before and go wherever you want afterwards.
Thanks, that's helpful to know. Cheers!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tomparskate
The desks manned by BA Agents, Will they be able to print of paper boarding passes for you if required.
Yes, or you can get it from the BA agents in the lounge / customer service desk. You don't need to give a reason, but you can mention your concern about whether your phone has enough power to last to the boarding gate.

Also if you have your boarding pass on your phone, will you be able to bypass the BA Agents and just proceed to the ticket scanner machine. Similar to TK at the Istanbul Lounge
I don't think so, I think that is to check eligibility, guesting, visas and what not. Plus any Emeralds whose status may not have come over on ticketing. My suspicion is that you will need to show your boarding pass there, just as you used to do when entering Flounge, which is effectively what the desk was/is. It also marks you in FLY as being in the First Lounge, since that data is captured. If BA needs to find you then it's useful to know where you may be at any given stage.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Petrus
They should pay us for some of the slop they serve these days

Great report and photos from OP! ^
Shame about the Concorde Room door being closed. Was very convenient for shops and always enjoy turning right straight after South Security.
The first and only time you will ever read those words on flyer talk!!!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
How many "check points"?

A question relating to the number of desks/check points in the First Zone / Wing

1. Existing First welcome desk - is it still there?
2. Existing BA First check-in desks/bag drop
3. BA staffed check points in front of entrance to First Wing [verify lounge status/document check]
4. HAL staffed BP scanner to allow access to First Wing security

With only carry on bags, I assume I still present something [my BAEC card, my BP on whatever form or my passport?] at the First welcome desk [my words] at step 1 to gain access to the whole zone?? Or can I just march up to the BA staffed desks at step 3. And I assume conformance is still achieved at step 4.

Great pictures chris1979 but owing to my unfamiliarity with that area of terminal I don't know how that First welcome desk factors into the layout and flow, if at all.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
A question relating to the number of desks/check points in the First Zone / Wing

1. Existing First welcome desk - is it still there?
2. Existing BA First check-in desks/bag drop
3. BA staffed check points in front of entrance to First Wing [verify lounge status/document check]
4. HAL staffed BP scanner to allow access to First Wing security

With only carry on bags, I assume I still present something [my BAEC card, my BP on whatever form or my passport?] at the First welcome desk [my words] at step 1 to gain access to the whole zone?? Or can I just march up to the BA staffed desks at step 3. And I assume conformance is still achieved at step 4.

Great pictures chris1979 but owing to my unfamiliarity with that area of terminal I don't know how that First welcome desk factors into the layout and flow, if at all.
the whole area hasn't been unveiled yet.

but yes, when I was there, it still had
1. existing F 'welcome desk' (though often this unmanned / doesn't require interaction).
2. existing F check-in area (as reported up thread, some of the new stuff that hasn't been unveiled should look very nice).
3. correct.
4. correct.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
The F check in desks are still there
So if you have bags to check, you go to the old F check in desks, THEN to the new First Wing? Seems like an unnecessary step?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
So if you have bags to check, you go to the old F check in desks, THEN to the new First Wing? Seems like an unnecessary step?
Why? Same number of steps as it was before, check bag at check in desks then head to security. The F check in desks and F wing are next to each other. F wing security is a lot closer to the F check in desks than south security is, and obviously once through security you are in the lounge now as opposed to having to go downstairs and back up to the GF.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's the same area, the First Wing and the old+new First check-in are in Zone H (well, strictly speaking it's J but there aren't many signs). If checking in bags you go to the check-in desk, then bear left about 10 metres for the scan for the lounge, then another 5-10 metres for the gates. I guess that is three scans in all, but the middle scan is like the First lounge entry, it won't detain you unless something is wrong.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I think the way BA have this in mind is that the old (and new - it's the same) F check in area is considered as part of the First Wing.

What's changed / new is that the lounge elibiligty check is now before security (and if you don't check in bags, i.e. dont to visit the F check in desks, this is your first interaction with BA) given security feeds your straight into the lounge. So the number of interactions with BA or HAL is the same.

Last edited by chris1979; Apr 1, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Why? Same number of steps as it was before, check bag at check in desks then head to security. The F check in desks and F wing are next to each other. F wing security is a lot closer to the F check in desks than south security is, and obviously once through security you are in the lounge now as opposed to having to go downstairs and back up to the GF.
I understand - Thanks KARFA (and CWS and Chris!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.