Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios claim for missing points - total rip off!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus

I noticed that the Avios points I would have received for a full fare Business Class fare from YYZ to DUB have not been credited. Going to the "claim missing points" page I am instructed to FAX - yes, FAX a page worth of details about myself, AND fax my original boarding passes! Are they kidding me? Who has paper boarding passes anymore?
For a $4,000 Business Class return trip from YYZ to DUB on EI - part of the IAG and BAEC Avios network, I get nothing except the labour of figuring out how to send a fax?
Anyone have a better idea how to get the points owed?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 28, 2017 at 10:38 pm Reason: Remove disguised expletive
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:34 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
PM BAMissingAvios
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by toothpick
... Anyone have a better idea how to get the points owed?
I faced a similar problem earlier this year (Avios claim on a partner airline (RJ) not included in the drop down list). As a work-around to the "Fax" requirement, I sent the completed claim form (as a PDF file), together with scans of my boarding passes by e-mail to ec.documents AT ba.com. Although not necessary, I was told later that if you can also give the ticket number in the e-mail this may increase the chance of the claim being correctly processed

In the subject header I put "New Missing Avios (Partner) Claim" followed by my BAEC number.

You won't get any e-mail receipt confirmation, but within 72 hours I could see the claim as entered into the system (using the "where is my partner claim?" link).

Saying that, after about one month the claim was (incorrectly) denied - and only finally sorted after sending a PM to BAMissingAvios

Last edited by GinFizz; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:41 am Reason: fix quote formatting
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have you tried phoning the Executive Club? I was missing TPs and avios for 1 out of 4 Iberia J sectors - India put me through to the Newcastle centre who sorted it out within a week.

They only asked me for the ticket number and didn't require me to send across any boarding passes. TPs and avios were credited within a week without fuss.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I noticed that the Avios points I would have received for a full fare Business Class fare from YYZ to DUB have not been credited. Going to the "claim missing points" page I am instructed to FAX - yes, FAX a page worth of details about myself, AND fax my original boarding passes! Are they kidding me? Who has paper boarding passes anymore?
For a $4,000 Business Class return trip from YYZ to DUB on EI - part of the IAG and BAEC Avios network, I get nothing except the labour of figuring out how to send a fax?
Not sure where the rip off is. I've just made a claim for missing TPs and Avios for a QR flight - I only had to complete a form online and click send. It took less than a minute from start to finish, no BPs needed and no fax - just date, fight and eTicket number ... now I have the long wait for QR to respond.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Not sure where the rip off is. I've just made a claim for missing TPs and Avios for a QR flight - I only had to complete a form online and click send. It took less than a minute from start to finish, no BPs needed and no fax - just date, fight and eTicket number ... now I have the long wait for QR to respond.
Agree that rip-off is an odd choice of phrase, and that the online form is easy to use.

The problem here though is that this online form doesn't work for all partner airlines. If you select "Other Airlines" from the drop-down list, you are redirected to another web-page where you are requested to print,fill in, and then Fax a form.
dobba likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Out of interest was this for a flight a couple of weeks ago? My QR legs in mid-March didn't post and I had to complete the missing Avios form on ba.com. Surprisingly though QR approved the request within 12hrs!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dakaix
Out of interest was this for a flight a couple of weeks ago? My QR legs in mid-March didn't post and I had to complete the missing Avios form on ba.com. Surprisingly though QR approved the request within 12hrs!
Yes! For 14 March. My wife, on a separate booking, same with hers. They were both for a DOH-MAN segment. The other flights within the bookings all posted as expected on the Wednesday after the flights were taken.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Yes! For 14 March. My wife, on a separate booking, same with hers. They were both for a DOH-MAN segment. The other flights within the bookings all posted as expected on the Wednesday after the flights were taken.
Heh, coincidentally that was the same day I was travelling (DXB-DOH-ARN). Must've been an glitch between QR/BA that week then!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Avios claims can be a pain, and one reply I had was a blatant lie, (they said I wasn't on the plane when I'd sent them a scan of my boarding card and an e-ticket number) but I would not say that they are a rip-off.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not a "rip off" and almost certainly has nothing to do with BA and everything to do with EI.

BA credits what the "other" carrier confirms. If the "other" carrier requires faxed information, that is what the "other" carrier requires and that is why the requirement is what it is.

That is why posts above discussing the use of simple online forms for QR have no value for this OP as he did not fly QR. He flew EI.

I do suggest that rather than having a go at BA, the practical solutions above and one more may get the job done. Screen shot and then print the boarding passes and then PDF the packet as an email. I doubt that EI will know or care whether BA received the package via email or fax when it reviews for compliance.
dobba likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Often1
Not a "rip off" and almost certainly has nothing to do with BA and everything to do with EI.

BA credits what the "other" carrier confirms. If the "other" carrier requires faxed information, that is what the "other" carrier requires and that is why the requirement is what it is.

That is why posts above discussing the use of simple online forms for QR have no value for this OP as he did not fly QR. He flew EI.

I do suggest that rather than having a go at BA, the practical solutions above and one more may get the job done. Screen shot and then print the boarding passes and then PDF the packet as an email. I doubt that EI will know or care whether BA received the package via email or fax when it reviews for compliance.
Isn't that contradictory?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Isn't that contradictory?
No. You need to carefully parse what I wrote.

OP is off on a rant about the requirement of copies of his boarding passes and the use of fax.

I have pointed out that it is not BA that cares about this, but rather EI. As to the boarding passes, OP may not understand that he can create screenshots of his boarding passes. And as to the rest, he can create a PDF and submit it.

When BA submits to EI, EI may not notice or care.

If EI notices or cares, OP will have to go back to the drawing board. But, if it does not, he will have his credit.

But, rip off it is not.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
No. You need to carefully parse what I wrote.

OP is off on a rant about the requirement of copies of his boarding passes and the use of fax.

I have pointed out that it is not BA that cares about this, but rather EI.
Do you have any evidence that it is EI that wants the customer to fax the docs to BA ?

It may be that EI requires BA to fax to EI the docs on their end. But how the customer sends those docs to BA is surely irrelevant to EI.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:30 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Honest advice just give up... it's not worth it the dozens of calls, hours on the phone explaining it all over again each time you call, emailing and faxing documents 2/3 times before they're picked up.

Happens every time on CX substitute when they substitute a 2 or 3 class plane for a 4 and they upgrade paid J to F.

Last two times didn't even have boarding passes to fax just sent screenshots of Iphone ones. It goes to some mass e-document receiving box in Manchester and unless the person actually goes looking for it while you hold them on the phone it won't be found. Claim goes into to CX at least twice and comes back automatic rejected before a person even reads the explanation attached.

Unless its worth at least 4-6 hours of your time it's not worth chasing IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.