Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios claim for missing points - total rip off!

Avios claim for missing points - total rip off!

Old Mar 29, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
In this day and age, a company requiring documents should provide an option to upload a scan, like in PDF form. But this BA IT we are talking about.
Old Mar 29, 17, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Do you have any evidence that it is EI that wants the customer to fax the docs to BA ?

It may be that EI requires BA to fax to EI the docs on their end. But how the customer sends those docs to BA is surely irrelevant to EI.
"Evidence" is a misapprehension of the system. I don't need "evidence".

If you read the OW T&C carefully, including those for BAEC, you will see that avios are awarded for flying another OW carrier when the other carrier certifies the segments & miles to the awarding carrier.

Thus, in this matter, when EI certifies to BA.

As you can see if you parse this thread or if you were to submit for missing avios to BA where your flights were on another OW carrier not requiring a fax (example is #7 ), the miles post based on use of an online form.

Pointless to argue with you.

If when OP pulls up the missing avios form his PNR involving EI, he is asked for a fax, it means that EI requires a fax. If he had flown QR, he would have pulled up an online form. It means that QR does not require a fax.

Do I have "evidence" beyond that? No.
Do I need "evidence" beyond that? No.
Will it help OP's situation to find such "evidence"? No

But, will EI really care if BA faxes over what is sent to BA as a PDF attachment? Doubtful unless EI uses forensics experts to parse the faxes. Unlikely and if it does, the worst OP faces is having to resubmit.
Old Mar 29, 17, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post (albeit rant) of mine. I have some spare hours, and will keep chasing those points, because as a consumer, I made a bargain with BA - I bought a full fare Business Class flight with the expectation of getting Avios points in return. Regardless of who the carrier was - in this case EI - a partner in the IAG group.
Wish me luck!
Old Mar 29, 17, 11:03 pm

In my (limited) experience, it's far simpler to do this by phoning up when the online form doesn't work - I've had multiple RJ claims processed successfully (eventually) by a phone agent taking details verbally and recording them, instead of messing around with faxes or scanned documents.
Old Mar 29, 17, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Evidence" is a misapprehension of the system. I don't need "evidence".

If you read the OW T&C carefully, including those for BAEC, you will see that avios are awarded for flying another OW carrier when the other carrier certifies the segments & miles to the awarding carrier.

Thus, in this matter, when EI certifies to BA.

As you can see if you parse this thread or if you were to submit for missing avios to BA where your flights were on another OW carrier not requiring a fax (example is #7 ), the miles post based on use of an online form.

Pointless to argue with you.

If when OP pulls up the missing avios form his PNR involving EI, he is asked for a fax, it means that EI requires a fax. If he had flown QR, he would have pulled up an online form. It means that QR does not require a fax.

Do I have "evidence" beyond that? No.
Do I need "evidence" beyond that? No.
Will it help OP's situation to find such "evidence"? No

But, will EI really care if BA faxes over what is sent to BA as a PDF attachment? Doubtful unless EI uses forensics experts to parse the faxes. Unlikely and if it does, the worst OP faces is having to resubmit.
There is a logical hole in your post, but I agree that there is no point us arguing about it.

All I will say is this is a BA issue vis-a-vis the customer and I don't think blaming EI excuses BA.
Old Mar 30, 17, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
This is pretty much a non-issue, email the boarding cards to BA's EC.documents email address and give details then. In this case, in my experience, BA's ICT has worked well. If you get a rejection email, you may try one more time over the phone. If that doesn't work, use an arbitration method. In my experience, the online form is pretty hit and miss, particularly if there are complications (such as involuntary re-routing).

I say email rather than online form or phone, as often, if you are on another carrier, if you phone, they submit it to the back office, who submit it to the operating carrier, who then reject it without evidence, you get a rejection, you phone up and they then ask you to send in your boarding cards and itinerary. if you send these to start with, this will cut the time taken on average to obtain the points.

Whilst it may be EI's fault in this case, arguing about whether it is BA or EI at fault if no help to the OP.
Old Mar 31, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Has anyone successfully claimed for missing Avios & TP's on Finnair using the partner claim form? Or do you always need to send boarding pass & ticket receipt?
Old Mar 31, 17, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Oddly enough, I have just had to do just this... albeit on a codeshare booked under the AY code on BA metal with an AA ticket (!)
The partner claim was rejected, and I was requested to send boarding pass and e-ticket receipt to prove i was on the flight. The "send-documents" claim form did not send me any acknowledgements that the documents had actually been received, so I sent BAMissingAvios a private message on here and the matter was resolved within a couple of hours.
Old Mar 31, 17, 10:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post (albeit rant) of mine. I have some spare hours, and will keep chasing those points, because as a consumer, I made a bargain with BA - I bought a full fare Business Class flight with the expectation of getting Avios points in return. Regardless of who the carrier was - in this case EI - a partner in the IAG group.
Wish me luck!
This is all well and good, and BAEC will give you the Avios you are entitled to. Your bargain was with EI, not BA and effectively EI are responsible for awarding you the Avios. The fact that EI is part of IAG is irrelevant here. If you get no joy, please come back and we can offer further advice on how to proceed.
Old Apr 1, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Oddly enough, I have just had to do just this... albeit on a codeshare booked under the AY code on BA metal with an AA ticket (!)
The partner claim was rejected, and I was requested to send boarding pass and e-ticket receipt to prove i was on the flight. The "send-documents" claim form did not send me any acknowledgements that the documents had actually been received, so I sent BAMissingAvios a private message on here and the matter was resolved within a couple of hours.
Thanks furryman. Funnily enough a couple of hours after I posted this my claim was approved. Didn't need to send any documents. The Avios and TP's posted this morning. ^
Old Apr 1, 17, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
Wish me luck!
Hi toothpick

One email to BAMissingAvios with your membership number, booking locator code, ticket number if you have it and flight details will get the matter resolved in a few days with no hassle and a friendly, efficient service in my experience with many claims.

Good luck

Lufty
Old Apr 1, 17, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this.
Following your advice, I called my local BAEC toll free number and was advised to go to a web page called
www.ba.com/ecsupportingdocs
A claim for missing partner miles can be submitted there.
BUT – may I offer a couple of “preparation tips”
1. Log OUT of your BAEC account.
2. Search your e-mails to find the one that delivered your flight invoice and all details such as booking reference number and ticket number
3. Open that e-mail and do a “Save As” to the file formats that BA accepts - .pdf, .jpeg, and .png
4. Save it locally to your hard drive (or stick or network folder - you just want some backup in case you have to start again).
5. Next, there is a section in the online form that asks you to give as much detail as possible, and so, although those details are already evident in your uploaded flight invoice, it doesn’t hurt to re-iterate what it is that you are asking for in the way of missing Avios points. Do this verbiage in Word or Notes or any medium from which you can copy and then paste into the BA form.
6. Go to www.ba.com/ecsupportingdocs
7. Log in
8. Fill out the form – you will see a field that ask you why you are asking for the Avios - this is where you will paste what you wrote earlier and copied from your Word or Note text.
  1. Avios
  2. BAEC
at the bottom you’ll see a command to browse your computer and select the previously saved file of your ticket details to be uploaded. (“Open” means upload)
9. Make sure you check the “Agree Terms and Conditions” box and away you go.
You will not get an e-mail response to your BAEC e-mail account. Just a generic blowback website message that it will take up to 28 days to process your request.
I’ll keep checking my account over the next 4 weeks and will get you posted.

Last edited by toothpick; Apr 2, 17 at 12:01 am Reason: for more accuracy in helping user fill the BA form
Old Apr 4, 17, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Spoke to soon! Back to square one with request for boarding card which after 4 months
I no longer have! Here's what they sent me:
Thank you for requesting Avios and Tier Points for the following flight:
Flight Number: EI0128
Departure Airport: YYZ
Arrival Airport: DUB
Date Travelled: 17/12/2016
I have checked all the details you sent us, but unfortunately we do not have enough information to process your claim.
While we have your flight details, please send us a copy of your boarding pass as proof of travel. These should show the booked class indicated by a letter.
While we have your itinerary showing your booked class and class of travel, please send us your boarding pass as proof of travel.
Unfortunately we do not have access to partner records, but you're welcome to contact their Sales or Reservations departments directly for the information we need.
Thank you for also requesting Avios and Tier Points for the following flight:
Flight Number: EI0129
Departure Airport: DUB
Arrival Airport: YYZ
Date Travelled: 07/01/2017
I have checked the details we have for your booking, but I'm sorry to say the fare you paid was for a booked class that does not earn Avios or Tier Points, so I am unable to credit your account.
When you fly with Aer Lingus only some fares will give you a booked class that earns Avios. You can see the list of classes which do earn Avios on ba.com. Your flight was booked in a deeply discounted business class.
+++++++++++++++
I don't agree that the fare was deeply discounted - I paid top whack advertised Business class fare - 4K.
Am now trying EI to get verification that I took these flights.
Any further advice for me?
Old Apr 4, 17, 7:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What was the actual selling class for your flight?

See the EI earning table here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights

Looks like selling classes in business which earn are J, C, and D only.
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I had a similar issue last year with EI. For some obscure reason, one of the JER/DUB sectors had bookwed into a non-earning bucket. It was an insignificant number of Avios, so I just ignored it ... apart from reinforcing my antipathy to EI

Search this Thread
Search Engine: