Flexible Ticket

Old Mar 28, 17, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, MilagePlus Gold, Emirates Silver
Flexible Ticket

Hi,
I see If you go for a flexable ticket you can pay 5-10X more of the cost of a normal fair.
I see the change fee's for normal fares are about 200usd change fee.
As you need to pay the fair difference on both ticket types would would anyone ever get a flex for that amount more when they can go for a basic and just stump the fee?
Sorry If I have miss-understood.
Regional.
Old Mar 29, 17, 2:59 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
First of all, what is a "normal fair[sic]"? Fares vary all the time and there are numerous different fares with varying fare rules.

For some, flexible tickets makes more sense than for others. It all comes down to how often you need to change the tickets you book and how late.
Old Mar 29, 17, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
If, for example you book a ticket with a $200 change fee and find you need to change your flight the day before you travel. In this case, you might need to pay the change fee AND the new flight has no availability in the lower fare buckets any more - in this case you end up paying for the new flight, plus the change fee, which could end up costing more than the flex ticket in the first place

If you're booking a long way out and know that you are very unlikely to be changing your flight then of course you can choose to buy a ticket which charges for changes (or even sometimes doesn't allow any changes at all), but you need to check the fare details carefully - some fares will reprice based on the fares available on the day you originally booked, but many will reprice based on the fares available on the day you make the change... these costs can be significant.
Old Mar 29, 17, 5:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Also, flexible tickets are refundable if you end up not needing to travel.
Old Mar 29, 17, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Change does not mean refund and many people may need to refund a ticket and that may especially be the case if they are employed or are invoicing a client/customer. If the trip is cancelled, the client/customer is not looking for a credit against future travel and that is hard to account for.

Additionally, if one routinely books at the last minute, it is hardly uncommon in today's world, lower fare buckets are not available and the metric advanced of 8-10x is simply not true.
Old Mar 29, 17, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kt1931 View Post
As you need to pay the fair difference on both ticket types would would anyone ever get a flex for that amount more when they can go for a basic and just stump the fee?
To put some of the points into a real-life case, I once chose a fully-flexible ticket for a trip on which I needed it. It wasn't a work trip (I don't need to travel for work) but to go to a funeral which was taking place on a Saturday. Because of work commitments I didn't know whether or when I would be able to fly out, although if I flew I would then have flown back on the Sunday night.

I booked the ticket on the previous Sunday, by which time there wasn't a vast price difference between the fully flexible ticket and the cheapest ticket anyway. The first reservation was to fly out on Monday night and fly back on Sunday night. By 5 pm on Monday I knew that I couldn't go that night, so I called BA and changed the reservation to Tuesday night. The same happened on Tuesday and Wednesday. By 5 pm on Thursday I knew that I couldn't go that night either, and as there was no point in flying on Friday night (I would have missed the funeral by the time I'd got to Durban) the Thursday phone call was simply to cancel the ticket for a full refund.

People who are flying for work will have similar scenarios more often. But even for a non-work passenger, these tickets can have their uses.
Old Mar 29, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, TAP Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz 5*
This is ever so slightly OT so apologies in advance, but do I understand correctly that even though they are referred to as fully refundable, BA will still apply a cancellation fee, even if done online? And I assume that any credit card fees paid are also non-refundable?
Old Mar 29, 17, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
This is ever so slightly OT so apologies in advance, but do I understand correctly that even though they are referred to as fully refundable, BA will still apply a cancellation fee, even if done online?
Correct, BA will say in the fare conditions presented that there are no cancellation fees, but when you go to cancel online a cancellation fee is added (and is also shown on the email receipt you get).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: