Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why keep the Concorde Room anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gengar
While I've been in the CCR when it's been absurdly crowded, I'll still happily take the option over T5 GF.

Now if only BA can get the other aspects of their ground handling for F pax in order...
Amen to that.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Galleries First is a tremendous zoo of a lounge at T5.
All a matter of perspective and personal preference, but really other than at absolute peak times T5 GF is a very good lounge in my experience, and exclusivity aside not much of a downgrade from the CCR. Wine, champagne and spirits are always good-to-excellent. Food is now decent (although could of course be improved). I'm not sure I've ever not been able to find a seat, but maybe I've been lucky in that regard.

If they could sort out the temperature (always too hot) and install nicer toilets (the plastic cabins are no better than you'll find in a Travelodge room) it would be hard to fault imo.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I flew through T5 this morning with 2 friends. Neither had status, so I asked the CCR guardian if she would allow me in with 2 guests. Correctly, she said NO, but did let me walk through to get to GF.

Once we had sat down, one of my friends (who I'd taken into the CCR 3 weeks before) asked the difference.

I said table-service and fewer people - but those were the only immediate and obvious benefits.

However, GF was perfectly fine. I quite liked being back.

With the upcoming removal of the CCR door, I found myself contemplating whether I would necessarily always head over to the CCR once the passage into GF is completed.

Time will tell I suppose.

M

P.S. Can we refrain from QR comparisons and DOH discussion! We've had enough of those to last a lifetime, and they just end in circles!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The wife and I really enjoyed our only T5 CCR visit. Considering our F flights cost us less than a discounted ticket in economy what's there not to like?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
The issue I have with the CCR is that at certain times of the day, there are families that let their little kids loose and you have to be careful not to trip over them. I have rarely seen kinds running around freely at the GF lounge, so I am not sure why they allow it in the CCR.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Smid
Really? Just wondering. It is a valid point...

For QR J

Food is very good. Though a bit arabic meze based. But I did find it better than BA F.
Seat has aisle access (across the board).
Pyjamas
Slippers (think maybe only A380)
Probably a bigger IFE screen than BA F.
Service is very attentive (in both my champagne glass wasn't empty unless I asked it to stop being poured).
And the bar on the A380 was spectacular. Far less of a gimic than VS's bar.

Maybe I had a good set of flights (FRA-DOH-HKG (AKL on CX/QS to) SYD-DOH-FRA, but what I found different was the quality of the champagne. And lack of a CCR like lounge at home base, but to be fair it's J vs F. Was I just lucky?

Only flown BA F twice eastbound from West Coast US, and once westbound.

I get it when people compare AA J on 777W to BA F. It's just a decent seat.

But of course, not all people want to hop via the gulf...

(Quick edit to append) Ah yes, better than BA F. Ah I was reading is as near equivalent....
Not all QR planes are all aisle access in J (320, 330, 340, 777) with 2-2 and 2-2-2 layouts respectively. Only the 787, 380 and 350 have a 1-2-1 layout.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Having the CCR keeps the riff raff out of GF
But seriously I'm glad it works for some. Personally I always go to GF even when flying F. I prefer self serve and I find the CCR really stuffy unless out on the terrace so I might as well be in GF.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:19 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Interestingly, when I view this thread... it is full of targeted advertising for "Qatar's Q suite, First in business" A lot to to be said for a product that keeps improving/getting better, vs. one that's slowing being enhanced downwards. There's a psychological aspect, you book a flight or get on a plane thinking what new will they have instead of what nasty surprises will there be because of the latest cuts.

To answer the question, to drip feed enough perks to keep people buying up to F or keep them coming back once they hit gold.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
But what's the business case except for the vague notion of prestige (Sr Cruz doesn't seem to like non numeric notions)? Of course it's
aspirational. Everyone here would queue up for anything if they were told only the most exclusive flyers could have access regardless of what the heck it is!

I've been in a few times and wasn't impressed much. I'm in GF every week as I'm cursed to shorthaul most often. The free meal is nice but nothing I'd pay more than 30 quid for on the high street.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've only been into the CCR a few times, but the main thing I appreciated was the quiet. I sat on the terrace and quite enjoyed having a bit of space and calm. The rest of the terminal is so busy it's nice to have a quiet space to relax in.

I did have a meal and while the potions were not huge, the food was well prepared and I enjoyed it. It sure beats being in Y and trying to find a seat somewhere by a gate.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Time traveller
The issue I have with the CCR is that at certain times of the day, there are families that let their little kids loose and you have to be careful not to trip over them. I have rarely seen kinds running around freely at the GF lounge, so I am not sure why they allow it in the CCR.
I certainly don't share your experience. Of course, occasional kids running randomly around, but in my experience much less so in the CCR than in most lounges.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the 4th best lounge at LHR so why wouldn't BA want to keep it?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It's the 4th best lounge at LHR so why wouldn't BA want to keep it?
May soon be fifth when QF open their T3 lounge!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Qantas. British Airways. Emirates.
I think the best part of the CCR is the terrace. I enjoy sitting there reading my Kindle before a flight.

In terms of why to keep it..... I'm a strong advocate for First Class Lounges ONLY for passengers travelling in First Class, or CIP's.

Passengers travelling on a 14 sector cheap airfare with other OW carriers to attain status probably should be separated from actual premium passengers. The CCR helps with this.

OT, but I'd love to see BA move to a revenue based FF program to keep their lounges less cluttered.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:41 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we are seeing some considerable thread drift here in many different directions. The OP wanted to discuss the business case for retaining the CCR, which in no way includes comparison with QR aircraft.

Let's come back on topic, please.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.