Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why keep the Concorde Room anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
I think they should get rid of it. Its crap anyway.
If I put a one line rebuttal saying "oh no it is not", I doubt that would help anyone understand the arguments, whether for and against. Not everyone is able to visit on a regular basis and may well be looking here for some informed commentary rather than one liners.

For me the food, drink and service are very good in the CCR, I look forward to my visits there. The changing menu has some hits and misses, but at least we're not looking at the same dish for month after month (or even years in the case of some other lounges). As an example, the truffle mac and cheese was very good, and so are the scallops. I detect that the service has improved over recent months, and so have other FTers. The staffing level per passenger is something like twice that of GF. The bar can be a very sociable experience, particularly on Thursday and Friday evenings. Not all the furniture is an advance state of decay, and in any case will be changed in the next few weeks. So there are some specific reasons for you.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If I put a one line rebuttal saying "oh no it is not", I doubt that would help anyone understand the arguments, whether for and against. Not everyone is able to visit on a regular basis and may well be looking here for some informed commentary rather than one liners.

For me the food, drink and service are very good in the CCR, I look forward to my visits there. The changing menu has some hits and misses, but at least we're not looking at the same dish for month after month (or even years in the case of some other lounges). As an example, the truffle mac and cheese was very good, and so are the scallops. I detect that the service has improved over recent months, and so have other FTers. The staffing level per passenger is something like twice that of GF. The bar can be a very sociable experience, particularly on Thursday and Friday evenings. Not all the furniture is an advance state of decay, and in any case will be changed in the next few weeks. So there are some specific reasons for you.
I can't disagree with your reasoning-relatively speaking whether in comparison to the past or the fact that BA F and CCR access is relatively easy to come by. Looking at the chaps profile, if he is comparing to the LH group HON lounges then again, relatively speaking its inferior in many ways, but not "crap". However a lounge where you can gorge oneself on pata negra vs what BA rustle up...oh chalk and cheese doesn't cut it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
So far I had the chance to sample the CCR twice, even if for just an hour each time. Service and atmosphere didn't have any special feel, but the orange juice was very good and the cappuccino non that bad.

I went to GF more, but not that much. I would say... 6/7 times. And 2/3 times to GC North. While I saw GC always packed full, GF has been always quiet for me. Orange juice could be better, but food and soft drinks were ok. I admit I never had champagne in a lounge, and I never drink heavy alcohol like gin, rum, etc.

So far the best BA lounge for me has been CCR in JFK (went there only once). Curiously the only time I had wine in a lounge, with a very good dinner, by the way!

PS
I will have a brief visit in CCR next week, before an HKG flight. Again just one hour I think, depending on how much people in connections and how much on time the inbound flight will be.

Last edited by Lefly; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:27 am

For me, CCR is special for the following:
- Cabanas (even if just to guarantee a quick shower)
- Outside terrace
- Fun mocktails
- A la carte dining
- Bypassing shops

None of that is possible in GF to my knowledge.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
- Outside terrace
- Fun mocktails
- A la carte dining
- Bypassing shops

there is an outside terrace as well as a la carte lounge menu in gf. That said ccr is better than gf in almost every respect except press (far more limited) and lack of self service crisps, whole fruits etc for those who just want to quickly help themselves to something (bar will serve you crisps though).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC

Yes I often wonder how many other FTers are sat at the bar in an evening.

I really wish they would leave enough room for one's knees under the bar though. Or am I the only one to have this issue?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I really wish they would leave enough room for one's knees under the bar though. Or am I the only one to have this issue?
I think it gets less noticeable the longer you are there, or so I would surmise. Can be a bit surreal, seeing Boutros Boutros Ghali air kissing Christine Lagarde isn't something you would see down The Dog and Duck.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
an old storage space?

Someone described it as "an old furniture store". It's a bit stuffy with dull food. The name reflects a different era and the food and the lack of service are of that age. (The booze is reasonable though...)
(Last there Monday am)

Last edited by wemyss; Mar 29, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have to say some of the extreme comments on here from people criticising the CCR as so far off the mark it does make me wonder whether they have ever been there or whether any lounge would match their expectations.

Now this isn't to say things could be improved, but adjectives such as "crap" are boggling.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I miss the Samsung counter.

::grabs coat::
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have to say some of the extreme comments on here from people criticising the CCR as so far off the mark it does make me wonder whether they have ever been there or whether any lounge would match their expectations.

Now this isn't to say things could be improved, but adjectives such as "crap" are boggling.
Yes, that was a ridiculous comment. I truly believe the CCR is a long way from "crap" and also look forward to hopefully visiting it once again one of these fine days.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
- Outside terrace
- Fun mocktails
- A la carte dining
- Bypassing shops

The ones I've emboldened are possible in GF. There is an outside terrace (a smaller version of the CCR terrace), a la carte dining from the menu (albeit a much more limited choice than in CCR), and bypassing shops is now possible with the opening of The First Wing (indeed this will possibly be the only way to bypass shops to access CCR too in the future).

That being said, I don't see the CCR closing any time soon. Concorde remains a source of prestige for BA, and they are still rolling out small versions of the CCR (Concorde Bar and Concorde Dining) at new lounge openings/refurbishments.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Dear Corporate-Wage-Slave. Yes, true, just putting down a one liner is probably too harsh. The thread asked whether there is a point to keep the CCR and as I think it is not useful I am of the opinion they should close it.
My point here is that the difference to the First Lounge (which should be called Gold Card Lounge really) is not that much (same old chairs and sofas - the food is very similar, just served). At least I don't see a big deal of a difference in the offering.
I would prefer them to use the space to extend the Gold Lounge and put in some decent office cubicles where I can work and have calls in privacy during a four hour or so layover (and they can get rid of the Champagne Bar useless monster in the Gold lounge and whatever other pretentious things they came up with). And it would be great to get acceptable toilets and showers (the toilets are disgusting in the CCR and the Gold lounge alike, its like a plastic YMCA/IBIS cubicle toilet/shower).
Better they create a great lounge extension (as we all know that BA First is not really First Class anyway if you know what I mean) to be used by the Gold and First crowd that is really good (maybe Cathay as an example). Would be good for all.
I don't know anyone that needs the CCR (and I had the card for three years when I still liked BA). But I know of people that would love to find some privacy and workspace with lots of electricity plugs etc. and wish for some decent toilets.
My point: get rid of this useless place that is only kept to remind people of the past grand days when BA was special and operated Concorde. Create a Lounge for the needs of the clients that BA wants today - people that spend ok money on a premium Business product they call First, but that don't pretend they actually bought a First Class product. Get me?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Get me?
Not entirely, I have to say.

I agree with your comments on the need for better washrooms, showers and work spaces - this is true for the GC lounges as much as the GF lounge.

I do, however, think the CCR offers something different to the GF lounge and that BA need to keep it as a service differentiator (because as you say, the onboard First product is not exactly the best out there). There's no reason* BA can't improve both CCR and GF.

The very high numbers of oneworld Emerald passengers passing through T5 daily means that BA need to keep a separate product for First and other invited passengers.

*other than Cruz Control
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:59 pm

My point: get rid of this useless place that is only kept to remind people of the past grand days when BA was special and operated Concorde. Create a Lounge for the needs of the clients that BA wants today - people that spend ok money on a premium Business product they call First, but that don't pretend they actually bought a First Class product. Get me?
Well that's certainly a more persuasive perspective, and certainly you make an excellent case for better business provision - it is something I would like to see in the First lounge above all. In CCR I tend to use the Board Room but if making telephone calls it's not so good an option, I would transfer to the First lounge if this was provided. But the reality is that I think it is something like 66% leisure users in the First cabin (and I gather it makes little difference between paid and redemption travel), so most users wouldn't particularly benefit from that. And for that majority, who want a relaxing place with some bubbles, I suspect CCR is of value to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.