Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-SYD-LHR BA wont let me change to a stopover on return?

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI, BA, PC-gold,SPG

I've used a 2-4-1- voucher to book LHR-SYD return with ba on amex voucher.

we need to change our return flights and put a stopover in Singapore or even better a surface between SIN/BKK and fly back from BKK-LHR.
however, ive just come off the phone to BA, as the bloke that was suppose to be finding out the taxes for the flight change BKK-LHR never called us back.

so i rang up tonight to see why i wasn't called back and why the BKK flights that were held have been cancelled off. i was told that i cant change the booking and have to fly SYD-LHR without stopping.
The girl I spoke to said she said she cant change it as the flight is a straight through flight from SYD-LHR , and even though its refuelling in SIN she cant break the flight down.

is this correct has anyone else managed to change the straight though flight from SYD-LHR with a stopover or surface SYD-SIN/BKK-LHR after flying the outbound?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've successfully changed a BA 16 all the way through to a BA 12/16 mix but didn't add a stopover. Not sure if it may be a case of cancel and start again as they are in different distance bands?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I've successfully changed a BA 16 all the way through to a BA 12/16 mix but didn't add a stopover. Not sure if it may be a case of cancel and start again as they are in different distance bands?
Was that after flying the first leg? I remember in the old days Redemptions couldnt be altered once you'd flown, one of the reasons to book them as two singles (obv not possible on a 2-4-1), not sure if that still is the case though
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Nooo mine was in advance of first flight - and actually made all four legs F. It did involve a couple of return phone calls from BA some maybe some higher human intervention was required
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I wonder if the issue is the 2-4-1 voucher and whether it can only be used for a simple XXX-XXX return (which in your case was LHR-SYD which is deemed a direct flight despite the refuelling stop). By changing flight in SIN or having a surface sector you are now looking to go LHR-SYD-SIN-surface-BKK-LHR which is beyond what they think is allowed on a 2-4-1?

I had a quick look at the T&Cs and can't however see anything to that effect other than:

"All Companion Voucher bookings must originate and return to the UK." to which BA may argue that your flight BA16 SYD-SIN neither originates or returns to the UK.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
I've used 2-4-1 on a LHR-SIN//SIN-SYD return with a > 24 hour stopover each way. It was originally booked on same day 12/16 in J then stopovers added later when F becsme available.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've used a 2-for-1 for a LHR-SIN, just over a day in SIN, SIN-SYD, CNS-HKG (paying full avios), just over a day in HKG, HKG-LHR. Other than the large number of avios needed for the CNS-HKG sector compared to the others, it was all fine!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Not sure if it may be a case of cancel and start again as they are in different distance bands?
I suspect that this is the problem. SYD-LHR is in one particular Avios zone. A booking for SYD-SIN + SIN-LHR, or SYD-SIN + BKK-LHR, will be calculated using different Avios zones. And the rules say that you can't change an Avios ticket into a different redemption zone - you have to cancel and start again.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ant_west
I wonder if the issue is the 2-4-1 voucher and whether it can only be used for a simple XXX-XXX return (which in your case was LHR-SYD which is deemed a direct flight despite the refuelling stop). By changing flight in SIN or having a surface sector you are now looking to go LHR-SYD-SIN-surface-BKK-LHR which is beyond what they think is allowed on a 2-4-1?

I had a quick look at the T&Cs and can't however see anything to that effect other than:

"All Companion Voucher bookings must originate and return to the UK." to which BA may argue that your flight BA16 SYD-SIN neither originates or returns to the UK.
i think that rule is simply means if you want to use the2-4-1 voucher you have to leave and come back to the UK. no one ways and no leaving uk and returning to say France.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I've used a 2-for-1 for a LHR-SIN, just over a day in SIN, SIN-SYD, CNS-HKG (paying full avios), just over a day in HKG, HKG-LHR. Other than the large number of avios needed for the CNS-HKG sector compared to the others, it was all fine!
i think you were very lucky, we did try to do out via SIN and back via either HKG or TYO to get to SYD but they would not allow this as they said they were different areas.

or most probably , someone dont know all the facts at BA
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
I've used 2-4-1 on a LHR-SIN//SIN-SYD return with a > 24 hour stopover each way. It was originally booked on same day 12/16 in J then stopovers added later when F becsme available.
was your 2-4-1 used all the way through to SYD or just SIN?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I suspect that this is the problem. SYD-LHR is in one particular Avios zone. A booking for SYD-SIN + SIN-LHR, or SYD-SIN + BKK-LHR, will be calculated using different Avios zones. And the rules say that you can't change an Avios ticket into a different redemption zone - you have to cancel and start again.
oh dear , i was hoping just to pay the extra avios involved
might be worth ringing up again and speaking to someone else everyday lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.