Wiki Posts
Search

A nice touch :) [GGL BOB soft benefit]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
A nice touch :) [GGL BOB soft benefit]

I was on BA820 LHR-CPH tonight. About 30 minutes in they trollied up to the front of ET to start the BOB service.

Sat well down the back, I was expecting a long wait but moments later a CC came and gave me "the Welcome" then offered to fetch me anything I wanted from the BOB menu. So I had a tea

Perfection would have been if he'd comped my cuppa but even so I thought it was a nice gesture...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
I was on BA820 LHR-CPH tonight. About 30 minutes in they trollied up to the front of ET to start the BOB service.

Sat well down the back, I was expecting a long wait but moments later a CC came and gave me "the Welcome" then offered to fetch me anything I wanted from the BOB menu. So I had a tea

Perfection would have been if he'd comped my cuppa but even so I thought it was a nice gesture...
I really wish BA would offer free snack and drink to their own GCH, like what AA does to EXPs.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Fitch

Yeah i think its completely against the rules to give 'comp' stuff so obviously wouldn't want to risk their job!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:23 pm

Bit embarrassing if the trolley did not later get to the back of the plane. Evil stares I should think from others.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
Bit embarrassing if the trolley did not later get to the back of the plane. Evil stares I should think from others.
I can't speak for the original poster, but if I'm entitled to something I soak up the evil stares and gain strength (schadenfreude) from it. It's mostly when they call for first class boarding and I get to push past all the credit card holding gate lice.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:23 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Finnair manage to 'comp' any airline's Oneworld Emerald drinks in short haul Y, including champagne. They also offer sapphire and above a free checked bag, even on 'light' fares which do not normally come with a baggage benefit. So it's poor form for BA not to do the same, especially for their own gold + members. I've certainly switched all HEL trips to Finnair.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:41 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I think that should be a standard perk of GOLD like AA does.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Yes it should be a perk.

If you are entitled to free food and drink in the lounge there is no logic to refusing it on the plane (except maybe the complexity of the catering contracts, but that's changeable)

AA offer it, Finnair offer it, as do some other airlines. it was a popular perk when BMI offered it.

If BA applied free food and drink to Emeralds, Sapphires and guests, and extended a free drink to BA bronze (rather than OWR), there would be a lot more incentive for pax to chose BA and credit to BAEC even if they were fairly infrequent flyers.

A combination of this and free tea, coffee, water, basic juice for all pax might mean might be a lot more happy customers and probably more food sales too.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:23 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wyvern
Yes it should be a perk.

If you are entitled to free food and drink in the lounge there is no logic to refusing it on the plane (except maybe the complexity of the catering contracts, but that's changeable)

AA offer it, Finnair offer it, as do some other airlines. it was a popular perk when BMI offered it.

If BA applied free food and drink to Emeralds, Sapphires and guests, and extended a free drink to BA bronze (rather than OWR), there would be a lot more incentive for pax to chose BA and credit to BAEC even if they were fairly infrequent flyers.

A combination of this and free tea, coffee, water, basic juice for all pax might mean might be a lot more happy customers and probably more food sales too.
So freebies on some flights for the whole plane then?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wyvern
Yes it should be a perk.

I think the better way (if anything) is to provide free food and drink to those on higher fare buckets. To me, they seem more deserving than status holders paying peanuts.

*And I speak as a status holder
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think the better way (if anything) is to provide free food and drink to those on higher fare buckets. To me, they seem more deserving than status holders paying peanuts.

*And I speak as a status holder
Bit of an age old argument though isn't it? The status holders will be status holders by virtue of having spent a lot on higher fare buckets to date, therefore they've earned a free crust havent they?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by aceman
Bit of an age old argument though isn't it? The status holders will be status holders by virtue of having spent a lot on higher fare buckets to date, therefore they've earned a free crust havent they?
Not always. It's easy enough to get the BA status by spending under £300 with them.

They get free food in lounges (in most locations), yet those on high ET fare can't access the lounge unless they hold status.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Not always. It's easy enough to get the BA status by spending under £300 with them.

They get free food in lounges (in most locations), yet those on high ET fare can't access the lounge unless they hold status.
Careful, one could read that as a recommendation for BAEC going revenue-based!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the better way (if anything) is to provide free food and drink to those on higher fare buckets.
Probably hard to implement though - I can't imagine the crew walking through the aircraft and explaining that the passenger by the window got free food because his ticket was in the "V" fare bucket but you won't because yours is only "S". Most passengers are not FTers and have no idea what fare buckets are - they think it's either business or economy.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

I'm sorry, you've lost me. When you say status, do you mean Bronze? They don't get lounge access.

I think anyone would be hard pushed to get Silver status for under £300, that would surely have to be on an 'error fare' ticket and would have to include at least 8 Club Europe sectors. I'm not sure my stomach could endure that many paninis - even if they're the premium ones that BA now serves!

If you know another way to get Silver status for less than £300, please share!

Regarding the OP, it's good to hear that at least someone values status passengers!

Last edited by headingwest; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.