Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security at T5 VERY early in the morning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
Anywhere, and that 0720 will likely be departing from T5B or T5C. All other flights are mainly A but can be anywhere (like any other shorthaul) except the last three (IB) flights that are almost guaranteed to depart from T5C.
At this hour, is T5B lounge better than north or south GC? Or all more or less the same?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benjai
At this hour, is T5B lounge better than north or south GC? Or all more or less the same?
For a 0720 flight I wouldn't bother heading to T5B unless you know your flight is leaving from there or T5C. The A lounges will be quiet.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Deckard
I was going to skip brekkie (I'm a one meal a day guy when away on business
Not to get off topic, but good to know there is another person out there who does this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have an 8am BA domestic flight from T5 and no BA status. What time do I need to arrive at LHR and how much time should I alllocate to Clear security? Will be traveling light with just a knapsack (no liquids).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Working back... assuing you're arriving on the Piccadilly line, it will take you four minutes to get up from the platform. You MUST be scanning your boarding pass for conformance 35 minutes before. I'd allow 20 minutes for security as an absolute minimum, so your earliest comfortable position to be confident that you'll be at the gate before 07.40, when it closes, is 7 a.m. Work back from that in terms of allowing contingency, and at least 20 minutes for bag drop on top if needed - personally I'd say another 30-60 minutes wouldn't be crazy.

In reality you'll probably have 15-20 minutes to spare even if you're there an hour beforehand, but it doesn't take much to throw a spanner in the works, so it's a question of your own tolerance for risk.

Before 6 a.m. and you'll be looking longingly through fragrance shops to kill time. After 7 a.m. and you'll be sweating and probably in need of being a bit more fragrant if/when you're on the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Working back... assuing you're arriving on the Piccadilly line, it will take you four minutes to get up from the platform. You MUST be scanning your boarding pass for conformance 35 minutes before. I'd allow 20 minutes for security as an absolute minimum, so your earliest comfortable position to be confident that you'll be at the gate before 07.40, when it closes, is 7 a.m.
Isn't conformance *before* security? That would imply being at the start of security by 07:25 is the cut-off point.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Isn't conformance *before* security? That would imply being at the start of security by 07:25 is the cut-off point.
Sorry, yes, it is, but even then, it's just a fail safe when all goes for normal operations. If you were to take 20 min in security, and the gate closed at 07:40 promptly, you'd be stuck despite meeting conformance.

Allowing 5 min to walk from north security to the gate, 20 min for security, and 5 min in the terminal, you still need to be there at 07:10.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Slightly OT but may still be helpful to those also not travelling every week: Since I started to religiously pack all charging cables, plus powerbank, plugs and other electronics, in a small bag to go on the security tray outside my carry on bag, the rate of my bag being selected for inspection (with the associated delay) has gone down from occasional to 0.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I keep all my cables in an AA washbag and now leave it IN my hand luggage as otherwise I get shouted at to remove all my liquids and put them in a sealable plastic bag! They very rarely get looked at (except at TXL who always seem to pick on me).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The trick to the cables in washbag issue is to leave the plug out and visible from the end of the zip. It's a common occurrence these days (or at least it works for me).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
personally I would aim to be in the terminal around 75 to 90 minutes before the flight.

as long as you clear conformance which is t-35 your should be fine.

I do not like to cut things quite so fine, so for an 8am flight I would be aiming to arrive at heathrow around 6:30/6:45.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
In previous jobs I had to travel on UK trains a lot, and a bit later, travel on airplanes a lot. At work, we used to have lots of debates about "get there early" versus last minute scrambling. Once some one had an opinion, it was most unlikely to change.
I was always in the "get there early" camp. I would rather be relaxed than in a sweat.
In years of traveling, the only thing I missed was 1 train. Due to tube problems.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Just don't be there after 6:15. You will most likely see fast track not that fast anymore.

Unless they open First security soon!
Is the First Wing security not open yet? Will it be by July? (First First in the offing).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Is the First Wing security not open yet? Will it be by July? (First First in the offing).
That post is 10 months old ... it's been open a while!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sorry, yes, it is, but even then, it's just a fail safe when all goes for normal operations. If you were to take 20 min in security, and the gate closed at 07:40 promptly, you'd be stuck despite meeting conformance.

Allowing 5 min to walk from north security to the gate, 20 min for security, and 5 min in the terminal, you still need to be there at 07:10.
Working back... assuing you're arriving on the Piccadilly line, it will take you four minutes to get up from the platform. You MUST be scanning your boarding pass for conformance 35 minutes before. I'd allow 20 minutes for security as an absolute minimum, so your earliest comfortable position to be confident that you'll be at the gate before 07.40, when it closes, is 7 a.m. Work back from that in terms of allowing contingency, and at least 20 minutes for bag drop on top if needed - personally I'd say another 30-60 minutes wouldn't be crazy.

In reality you'll probably have 15-20 minutes to spare even if you're there an hour beforehand, but it doesn't take much to throw a spanner in the works, so it's a question of your own tolerance for risk.

Before 6 a.m. and you'll be looking longingly through fragrance shops to kill time. After 7 a.m. and you'll be sweating and probably in need of being a bit more fragrant if/when you're on the plane.
many thanks! I’ll be taking HEX and no luggage to check so if I catch HEX at 6:40am I should be fine.

Do do do I need to pull out all my charging cables in a baggie too? That sounds like a PIta though thankfully I have an extra ziploc bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.