Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
This is really poor... my 16:25 flight to Warsaw will now get an afternoon tea... instead of a hot meal. Actual arrival time in Warsaw is 19:50.
Please enjoy the amazing hot and cold food selection in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Terminal 3 before your flight washed down with all you can drink Moet champagne.

This followed by a light afternoon tea will ensure you arrive full to WAW at 19:50.

Have a great flight.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
What's "signature warm breads" ? Is it PR guff for a warm roll that the CC are "proud" to serve?
The pilot and first officer will have signed it with a Sharpie before it gets put in the oven.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

Please enjoy the amazing hot and cold food selection in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Terminal 3 before your flight washed down with all you can drink Moet champagne.

This followed by a light afternoon tea will ensure you arrive full to WAW at 19:50.

Have a great flight.
till the end of October... then WAW moves to T5...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by volar
You may yet get a hot meal.
Call me a pessimist, but I’d go for “might”
volar likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’m fearing my 1540 to Malaga has gone from a long flight 4 course meal to band 3 afternoon tea..... landing at 1935 and eta at hotel 2035 looks like BA Burger after all in GF.
paulaf likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
New CE menus from 12 September 2018

BA Travel Trade site reporting:

We're launching new Club Europe menus from 12 September on our London Heathrow and London Gatwick routes.

The new menus will showcase the very best of the British Isles, featuring signature warm bread rolls, a selection of new quality wines plus coffee from our new specialty coffee partner, Union Hand-Roasted Coffee.

The new menu comes as part of a multi-million pound investment for Club Europe.

Links through to ba.com site here

Last edited by pennineuk; Sep 6, 2018 at 3:12 am Reason: Added title
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Originally Posted by pennineuk
BA Travel Trade site reporting:

We're launching new Club Europe menus from 12 September on our London Heathrow and London Gatwick routes.

The new menus will showcase the very best of the British Isles, featuring signature warm bread rolls, a selection of new quality wines plus coffee from our new specialty coffee partner, Union Hand-Roasted Coffee.

The new menu comes as part of a multi-million pound investment for Club Europe.

Links through to ba.com site here

Isn't this what we've been talking about since page 192 of this thread?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
To be fair both presentation and quality seems better regardless Band 2 gets a hot meal (doubt it) or not.
I'm with you and @orbitmic here, there is no rational basis to be anything but a pessimist here

This wasn't supposed to be about presentation and quality. It was supposed to be about how food on pretty long flights which, with time differences ex-UK, landed you outside reasonable meal times, was simply inadequate quantity wise. Leave LHR at 11am, get to BLQ past two PM and out the airport at 3 and you've missed lunch. Subbing a horrible excuse for a sandwich with a mini-quiche will end up not solving the problem and will really piss people off now. Though, to be fair, we can perhaps expect former medium longs, now band 2s, will get the better salads (maybe something LCY style, which people seem to like).

Note that what has been done, in practice, is CUT meals on long flights down; many current long flights move into the new band 3 so will lose hot meals for 3 hours a day and, depending on your views on breakfast, get a worse meal some of that time. Most places which used to have proper meals and lost them (the new band 2, basically) are odds on faves to not get them back. Some of the money saved on cutting long flights is being invested in (possibly) higher quality stuff, maybe.

This looks like a "make it look better, but you ain't getting a penny more to spend" brief, well executed. Which, I guess, is fair enough, whether we like it or not. But the bottom line: former 3A flights and some 3B flights lost hot meals, they will not bet them back. Most 3B flights got upgraded, they lose the upgrade. Only MAD sees material improvement at meal times, confirming their move into the new band 3. The rationale for this is so self serving it is probably the most annoying thing of it all. Everyone else is waiting to see whether three slices of protein will become 5, and get s scone in the afternoon now.

I'll buy a round on Nov 2nd if band 2 get hot meals that's a BA promise.
orbitmic, headingwest and volar like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan

This wasn't supposed to be about presentation and quality.
For you not, for me it was about that.
I actually think providing a really good quality cold meal/salad with side and dessert is just right on a 2-2.5 hour trip when it is outside breakfast, lunch or dinner times.

It makes sense to me, but I appreciate we are all different.

You will always have people who want a full hot meal on a flight to Madrid at 10:30AM so they get their money’s worth.
Not me thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

For you not, for me it was about that.
I actually think providing a really good quality cold meal/salad with side and dessert is just right on a 2-2.5 hour trip when it is outside breakfast, lunch or dinner times.

It makes sense to me, but I appreciate we are all different.

You will always have people who want a full hot meal on a flight to Madrid at 10:30AM so they get their money’s worth.
Not me thanks.
outside breakfast, i don't think what was served on medium bands in ce was acceptable (in terms of substance) and it was a clear and unarguable downgrade from before - it seemed quite clear that those on medium band flights lost out. in terms of what will be served beyond this new change i shall wait and see before commenting.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KARFA
outside breakfast, i don't think what was served on medium bands in ce was acceptable (in terms of substance) and it was a clear and unarguable downgrade from before - it seemed quite clear that those on medium band flights lost out. in terms of what will be served beyond this new change i shall wait and see before commenting.
Agree, it all depends what happens for the new Band 2 and Band 3. My expectation is that Band 2 will be subjected to afternoon tea and small portions whilst Band 3 will escape both, i.e. a return to the previous catering system except with a number of Band 3 destinations now demoted to Band 2 to save cash (CPH, PRG and the like). But we shall see.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Agree, it all depends what happens for the new Band 2 and Band 3. My expectation is that Band 2 will be subjected to afternoon tea and small portions whilst Band 3 will escape both, i.e. a return to the previous catering system except with a number of Band 3 destinations now demoted to Band 2 to save cash (CPH, PRG and the like). But we shall see.
That’s my understanding from what I’ve seen. Don’t quote me !
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by megaloman
This is really poor... my 16:25 flight to Warsaw will now get an afternoon tea... instead of a hot meal. Actual arrival time in Warsaw is 19:50.
As with my 16:50 to krk arriving 20:15....

here is hoping band 3 keep the meals
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Talking

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
As with my 16:50 to krk arriving 20:15....

here is hoping band 3 keep the meals
If my Malaga gets afternoon tea so does your Krakow.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec
I don’t think Band 3/4s will be getting afternoon tea...rather a meal aka “rest of the day service” ...but I don’t know this for sure....I’m going by what I’ve seen/heard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.