Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have had a few more snippets from an impeccable source, though second hand. This about the CE meal relaunch later this year.

- still aiming for September (so that perhaps means 1 September or 1 October since that is when the menus change over)
- moving away from large bottles of wine and champagne on Mediums / Long back to small bottles
- a somewhat indirect hint that current Mediums are getting hot food (curry was mentioned) though I suspect the existing zones will be rebased somehow
- team involved very excited by their project.
Thanks for passing this on, I suppose when this whole change started out we were thinking there would be hot food on the old Band 2s, but on the shorter one this would be as much of a challenge as some of the ones we're seeing now timewise, cost notwithstanding. Guess they do it for breakfast, but it is hard. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Shame about the bottles, but again on busy CE flights this just leads to people complaining they aren't getting drinks, with the small bottles crew will leave a couple of bottles of wine so you're taken care of while they serve the rest of the cabin. Let's hope it works out this time and am happy they are taking the time to ensure this is thought through, especially in light of potential other challenges with the new galleys that some crew are talking about.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
- moving away from large bottles of wine and champagne on Mediums / Long back to small bottles
That doesn't sound great for still wines, not sure I've ever had a small bottle on BA that was as good as the worst full size offering. Makes more sense for fizz given the more awkward pour and trotting back to galley to open new ones, but doesn't seem so good for waste generated or take off capacity. Maybe magnums would be a way forwards ...
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:31 am

Enjoyable food (katsu curry or fish with pasta) on recent PMI-STN E190 late evening service, but odd service order. Food tray left first, then a bar run too late to enjoy with start of meal, followef by bread basket when front rows had about finished meal. Finally a run to offer tea / coffee, although bar fare still given if requested. Main tray cleared, but empty bottle and glasses left long enough for me to take tbem forward to galley where CSM had curtain closed while doing something on laptop.

Like Eric Morcombe's piano playing it seemed that all the required parts were there, but in the wrong order.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 5, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Hi, I’m on the LIN-STN evening run in a few weeks’ time. Ive ordered AVML, what can I expect ?

regards
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Anyone any insight to the following flights lately? I'm hoping I have time to eat in a lounge, but just in case if not!
- LHR - NCL 1320 & 1815
- LHR - NCL 1525 & 2015
- LHR - PRG 2000
- PRG - LHR 1115

Thanks from a hungry belly
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPRun
- LHR - NCL 1320 & 1815
- LHR - NCL 1525 & 2015
- LHR - PRG 2000
- PRG - LHR 1115
NCL is Short, PRG is Medium, so it's Ploughman/Sandwiches for the first flight, brunch for the last and salad/ciabatta for the other flights.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
As detailed elsewhere, BA457 yesterday was excellent compared to previous CE flights. 4 courses. Starter was a grilled prawn on wasabi seaweed thingy (the seaweed sounds horrible but it didn't actually taste of wasabi and was nice and palate cleansing.

Main had a choice of beef cheeks with sweetcorn mash, chicken in I think a lobster sauce with tagliatele, or a chicken Tikka that I have a feeling had been loaded by accident. I went for the beef.

After that a cheese plate and dessert (cheesecake sort of thing).

Good service too - crew seemed really on point plus cheerful. And sat in 2A on my own so it was a pretty nice flight all in all.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If the switch to small bottles of wines reduces the crew load enough to let them do a better meal service on route in the middle of middle band, I'm all for it.

Obviously you do get better wines only in large bottles, but having to both do a 3 course meal and top everyone up instead of being able to just dispatch a couple of small bottles to the bibulous passengers is straining the crew time available (and ability to go up/down the aisle). You can get drinkable enough wine in small bottles if you want to, so as long as BA don't take the opportunity to decrease cost they can arrange a supply of decent wine in single-serve bottles.

I really want a full meal on a 2 hour flight around meal times - because including the before flight and after flight activities, it's 4 hours between opportunities to sit down and have a meal. I'm happy to give up wine from fullsize bottles for that.
orbitmic and Pascoe like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
And remember - the more of these little bottles one consumes, the more drinkable it seems ;-)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
You can get drinkable enough wine in small bottles if you want to, so as long as BA don't take the opportunity to decrease cost they can arrange a supply of decent wine in single-serve bottles.
It'd be delightful if they did ^.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just curious : glass, or single-use plastic bottles ?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just curious : glass, or single-use plastic bottles ?
Single use? Single swig in your case Dear I imagine that’s why they’ve gone back to small bottles as you were downing the big ones. Not that I have ever been one to indulge in Galley Gossip!!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
good news on small bottles of wine. i only really drink wine but it was annoying to always ask for two glasses each time because of course the crew are overburdened and second those glasses are teeny tiny. i always just presumed the big bottles were a cost savings because people can't drink as much wine compared to the small bottles.

and i can stop looking like an alcoholic to my random seat neighbor each time i ask for TWO glasses and a still water LOLOL.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Delighted to hear about the small bottles of wine. Can drink far more in a 50 minute flight to Paris in portions of 187ml vs. thimble-sized increments on a MAD.

Delighted too to hear about the prospect of real hot meals again on mediums.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:54 am

Champers and vodka

Delighted to find on my 0740 out of T3, not only did the crew announce the bar was fully open as soon as we hit the cruise, but also the pop of the champers bottle (full size) before the trolley came round. 8 rows of CE pretty much emptied the bottle.

Also the vodka was server in (large) glass miniatures. Cîroc snap frozen vodka. Haven't seen that in CE before. Lovely stuff, if a triple early for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.