Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old May 29, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Only madrid has been promotedif you read back on this thread over the last week or so there has been speculation why
ringingup likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
Now that’s a surprise, I didn’t know! When did that happen? It must have been after March, as back then I got the dreaded panini/salad options.

I’m still tempted to have the burger in the lounge instead. What would you do?

By the way, what other routes have been “promoted”?
I think it has only happened in the last week or so. Just MAD which has been upgraded, no others.

I have had a few long band meals and I have been pleased with them, they seem better than even the old band 4 meals. Personally I would stick to the normal meal, but I haven't tried the long band special meals so potentially there may be something worth requesting.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I agree with KARFA here, on LB I would only swap if, as sometimes happens, I end up doing four or six flights within a couple of weeks and just want to try something else. As luck would have it, I usually end up on Medium band anyway It's more often likely to be breakfast for me than dinner which I swap here (I do like a curry for breakfast) as the other meals have mostly been quite nice.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tedcruz
I've only had Kosher meals in my life on BA. But the potions are by far the largest. I have noticed others here on FT who order Kosher as the portions are bigger and the meals are tasty. As you are flying out of LHR, you would get the kings of Kosher providing the meal Hermolis-so try Kosher out.
Not always. ‘Afternoon tea’ flight from Gatwick on Sunday I ordered Kosher in order to avoid the dreaded finger sandwiches, but ended up with...Kosher finger sandwiches. I like salt beef but these were a soggy mess (there was water on the plate) and the pickles and accompanying olives were mush. What I didn’t realise is that these meal trays (the tray, the food, the cutlery and everything else with it) are stored frozen - mine had a ‘defrost by’ date of November 2018 - and I suspect this is what ruined the food. The best thing about this was the Royal Doulton coffee cup which was sealed with the food. This was a Hermolis product by the way.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:24 am

Flying CE long band from LGW next month, is there a choice at breakfast like you get on the mains for lunch and dinner please? Any copies of the likely menu cards ? Thanks
Old May 30, 2018, 10:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
Flying CE long band from LGW next month, is there a choice at breakfast like you get on the mains for lunch and dinner please? Any copies of the likely menu cards ? Thanks
the choice would be vegetarian or non-vegetarian breakfast. there is a link to a photo of a long band vegetarian breakfast towards the bottom of the wiki.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
the choice would be vegetarian or non-vegetarian breakfast. there is a link to a photo of a long band vegetarian breakfast towards the bottom of the wiki.
Ok many thanks I've seen the 2 photos and menu card, does the veg option have to be pre ordered?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by paulaf
Ok many thanks I've seen the 2 photos and menu card, does the veg option have to be pre ordered?
No, but they don't load as many veggie breakfasts and they can run out - e.g. last week on an LHR long flight, everyone in the first two rows asked for veggie, so tough luck for anyone sat further back. If you object to the standard English meat-based breakfast, then pre-order.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:31 am
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
CE catering - BA542 (LHR-BLQ 1445)

I think that it had been pretty clearly concluded that it was only MAD that has been moved from Medium to Long recently - last Saturday’s flight confirmed that BLQ is still definitely Medium as we were ceremonially treated to three small sandwiches each.

In the interests of research I ordered a Muslim meal and MrsPZE went for ovo-lacto vegetarian. MiniPZE was on standard meal having had some bad experiences of kids’ meals in the past.

We were in row 5 (of 5). The trip started a bit eccentrically when the CSM brought my meal straight out of the galley immediately after the hot towels. I must have looked confused because he then said “actually, shall I put it to one side and bring it out with main service? I just wanted to make sure it didn’t accidentally get served to someone else.” - and then it disappeared again. Similar conversation with MrsPZE although without actually presenting the meal and then confiscating it.

Service was actually pretty fast, I think I was reunited with my special meal within 10 minutes.

Onto the food itself:

As usual (based on other reports), not enough ploughmanses were loaded. They ran out in 4F so only just missed them. They looked very nice and quite a respectable amount of food for the time of day.

Standard sandwiches were as previously reported: try not to breathe in when they arrive in case you inhale them by mistake.

Muslim meal was a bit of a surprise... two egg and chive sandwiches and something that looked like a ham sandwich.

It also smelt and tasted like a ham sandwich, only with a spicy tikka-style dressing. I still can’t work out what it was but best guess is some kind of turkey ham dyed pink (that or the Muslim meal supplier has gone badly wrong).

Vegetarian meal was three very pleasant sandwiches with some mixture of grilled Mediterranean vegetables, tomato and pesto in various combinations. They appeared to be vegan, slightly confusingly OLV meal was the only one with no egg sandwiches... it was the tastiest combination out of standard, Muslim and vegetarian by some way, so would probably opt for that in future.

A few observations in no particular order
  • on a flight of this length at this time of day it seems fair enough to not serve a “proper” meal but the afternoon tea really lacks any sense of luxury. The cake was a perfectly nice piece of lemon, polenta and olive oil cake (possibly) but no better than I’ve recently had in Y on other European SH flights including BA Cityflyer. For free. Even bringing back scones would make it feel slightly special.
  • I asked the crew what the special meals contained and they didn’t know, which is why the tikka-ham mystery remains unsolved. They said it was embarrassing that they could never get information on special meals and understandably people ask what they are eating. Not the crew’s fault but a bit of a service failing from a BA perspective.
  • the Muslim meal was a major disappointment compared with the example given in post 813 although to be fair it was up to the (extremely low) standard of the other options.
  • Given all the bashing the SH CE product receives, it was interesting that MrsPZE was really impressed with the overall flight experience - the combination of blocked middle seat and decent crew proactively offering drinks was of far more interest than the nature of the food and she felt it worth quite a premium over Y. Seems worth noting given how much mental anguish we all devote to the downgrading/upgrading/slight changing of catering that to someone who flies less frequently CE can seem pretty luxurious (of course this perception might change if the flight spanned a “proper” mealtime from an outstation with no lounge food and the onboard offering was half a prawn and three rocket leaves).

Last edited by PZE; Jun 1, 2018 at 6:19 am Reason: Adding photos
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PZE
CE catering - BA542 (LHR-BLQ 1445)

...I still can’t work out what it was but best guess is some kind of turkey ham dyed pink (that or the Muslim meal supplier has gone badly wrong).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by jimthewhiz

Chose the Chicken Caeser panini over the mozzarella salad and wished we had not. There was no salad, just some weird mashed chicken and a slice of tomato and the panini was hard on the outside and soggy in the middle. Worst BA CE lunch in ages. Before and after photos.
I really like the chicken caesar panini. Sometimes it's best not to look too closely
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by PZE
  • on a flight of this length at this time of day it seems fair enough to not serve a “proper” meal but the afternoon tea really lacks any sense of luxury.
You won't get any complaint on that, it's been poor for many a year and got worse with the catering changes. Hard to know how they will extend service to mediums, but I would be surprised if this included replacing the tea service. As it was before on these routes, it may well be a meal at lunch & dinner, tea and breakfast/brunch outside of those. Be nice if this could be validated on the MAD route.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: ba exec club
Early evening meal from EDI-LCY, prawn salad was very sizeable and nice dessert and fresh bread.
Sealink and smokie36 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
I really like the chicken caesar panini. Sometimes it's best not to look too closely
I have really gone off those panini. The smell ... I can't. (Not BA's fault - I can't stand walking past Subway shops for same reason)

Bring back scones!!!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Breakfast, BA1414, LHR - BHD, 18 May

I hate the splashes on the side of the main plate.
Was nice enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.