Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
You had the exact same meal as the one I posted up thread. Agree with you on the beetroot, it tastes like beetroot which is fine but it's no taste sensation.

The beef cheek really is great!
The beef cheek is great but I find the beetroot starter pathetic - there's plenty of people who can't think of anything worse than eating a plate of beetroot. If it was served with a salad then fine, at least they could.pick at the salad, but literally a plate of beetroot?!
710 77345 and lostinlondon like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by noubliepas
The beef cheek is great but I find the beetroot starter pathetic - there's plenty of people who can't think of anything worse than eating a plate of beetroot. If it was served with a salad then fine, at least they could.pick at the salad, but literally a plate of beetroot?!
Pathetic in the sense that you don't like beetroot? Some people do like beetroot, I don't mind it myself and thought it was quite a good, refreshing appetiser with the herb goat's cheese.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I'm with you - frankly it's bizarre in my opinion.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
I'm with you - frankly it's bizarre in my opinion.
Why is the beetroot with herbed goat's cheese starter any more bizarre than say the smoked salmon with cream fraiche, or the smoked duck breast and Waldorf salad?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Why is the beetroot with herbed goat's cheese starter any more bizarre than say the smoked salmon with cream fraiche, or the smoked duck breast and Waldorf salad?
I have never seen a dish where the proportion of beetroot is so high - not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere, and I don't mind eating it, but the concept of it seems quite unusual compared to your other two examples or the caprese
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:55 am

I have never seen a dish where the proportion of beetroot is so high - not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere, and I don't mind eating it, but the concept of it seems quite unusual compared to your other two examples or the caprese
That's fair enough, personal taste and all that - I just can't see how the dish is bizarre or pathetic. You will see there have been a number of positive comments on the dish. I don't mind beetroot, and I thought it perfectly acceptable as a starter if not particularity thrilling.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On the 1745 JER-LGW on Tuesday, the offering was Chicken Salad or Crocque Monsieur. After a shambolic service, the CSD did advise me that the Croque was being discontinued anyway.

With 20 CE, pax and 4 CC (yes, four) they managed to make a complete muddle of the service. CSD attempted to serve the front 2 rows, and the remainder, with the cart, served the other 6 rows. It must have taken at least 10 minutes (probably more) to get round to taking our order in 2A/C!! The CSD was being constantly interruped by requests for the Crocque Monsieur from the CC further back (who were presumably all cut off behind the cart). By the time he got round to us, all but one of the hot option had gone ... I got the last one available, which was tepid having been left out in the Galley for 10-15 minutes while the rest of it was going on. Never seen a service shambles like it
710 77345 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Beetroot is cheap at the moment - all the explanation that's needed!
lhrpete, 710 77345 and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Beetroot is cheap at the moment - all the explanation that's needed!
Beetroot (with goat cheese) makes for an excellent starter; one which you'll find in many high-end restaurants. I don't think its price has anything to do with why it's offered. I am actually (pleasantly) surprised that BA offers it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Beetroot (with goat cheese) makes for an excellent starter; one which you'll find in many high-end restaurants. I don't think its price has anything to do with why it's offered. I am actually (pleasantly) surprised that BA offers it.
And it just so happens out of pure coincidence it costs less than the processing costs of the plate its sitting on .

As always... Premium.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just in case it's not obvious, the menus are now very standardised: every Long flight leaving LHR in September will have precisely the same menu. There are 3 monthly rotations, we are currently in Rotation B, so in December it will be the same too, but in October we move to Rotation C and a different set of menus.
Yes, I know that. I was pointing out the fact in case people wanted to directly compare. I was pleased to see they look virtually the same which I guess also pleases the catering gurus at BA as that is clearly the aim.

I quite like beetroot. In Australia it is very common to have beetroot as one of the elements in a burger (which tastes sensational by the way) so I am very used to it.

It's very inoffensive too. It's not like a plate of brussels sprouts - those vile green explosions of taste hell would have me leaping for the exits!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I like the beetroot with goats cheese
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:31 am

Beetroot tends to be cheap at his time as it is in season. So no surprise that it appears on BA.
Having said that beetroot with goats cheese is an excellent starter but as with a lot of things quality and type of ingredients are key.
Using golden and orange beetroots together with the more traditional beetroot and roasting them gently brings out their flavour. Serving them with a good quality goats cheese makes a wonderful starter.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
And it just so happens out of pure coincidence it costs less than the processing costs of the plate its sitting on .

As always... Premium.
Good, tasty and healthy food does not need to be expensive. Beetroot and goat cheese salad is an excellent starter - who cares how much it costs? I don't understand people who pick food or wines based on the price rather than how they taste.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Good, tasty and healthy food does not need to be expensive. Beetroot and goat cheese salad is an excellent starter - who cares how much it costs? I don't understand people who pick food or wines based on the price rather than how they taste.
A sense of perspective please.

BA have a very long history of choosing cheap (by magic...) ingredients in their meals. CE afternoon tea, the panini etc. Many of which are downgrades in terms of healthiness which I see you are very into...all those carbs! And upgrades in the costs to the BA coffers to what was before. I won't be persuaded the panini I was given on a PRG service was anywhere near as "healthy" as the hot meals prior and again, mysteriously, cheaper.

Bresaola and Parmesan is also a perfect starter and rather healthy. A proper multigrain rather than the BA white processed nuclear bread but its all rather £££ coincidentally.

BA's continued obsession with mozzarella (is it even buffalo?) and tomato, just so happens to be cheap as chips.
lhrpete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.