Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old May 17, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
My initial conclusions from all of this is that short and long sectors have seen an improvement, whereas medium sectors such as MAD and VIE are now worse off as there is, frankly, no difference between short and medium, as far as I can tell. Seeing as most of my routes are the medium sectors, I consider that the overall experience is now distinctly worse than before. That's a real shame. I think the previous banding system was better (I would say that).
Agree with you and those echoing the same thoughts. Unfortunately, most of my flying is on former band 3 routes that have been downgraded to medium, and indeed, I share your impression of feeling 'short changed'.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I sympathise. I flew a Medium from NCE which is very CE heavy and I found it about right for the distance. That said i would add this

When I was with BCAL - we managed to serve an entire 1-11 with a cooked meal and drinks on LGW - EDI/GLA. BMI did a bar and then a meal (wine on the tray) for an entire DC-9. Dan-Air served a huge tray and bar on all it's Business Class flight irrespective of distance. It can be done.

I think that a bit of the problem is that the service has been upgraded and the crews are catching up. They are still working out their shortcuts/wrinkles to save time. They are given Band 4 catering have two hours less to serve it (I hope that that makes sense).

I think that there should be a Medium+ (or some such) which would catch the Business centers like MAD/VIE/LIN/MXP - that is the one mistake that they have made BUT they are not alone. AA in F (so called) only serve "refreshments"

Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels

700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie

Sounds so appetising.

LHR - MAD - 774 MILES
LHR - VIE - 791 MILES
LHR - LIN 608 MILES

Look what you'd get at those distances. I raise these are AA seem to be the flavour of the month. I have no idea what Iberia would be serving and their food is usually very good - however they'd be serving that Cava muck as someone called it - at least that is better than that revolting Fizz (Bubbles they call it, rubble I call it) served elsewhere.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I sympathise. I flew a Medium from NCE which is very CE heavy and I found it about right for the distance. That said i would add this

When I was with BCAL - we managed to serve an entire 1-11 with a cooked meal and drinks on LGW - EDI/GLA. BMI did a bar and then a meal (wine on the tray) for an entire DC-9. Dan-Air served a huge tray and bar on all it's Business Class flight irrespective of distance. It can be done.

I think that a bit of the problem is that the service has been upgraded and the crews are catching up. They are still working out their shortcuts/wrinkles to save time. They are given Band 4 catering have two hours less to serve it (I hope that that makes sense).

I think that there should be a Medium+ (or some such) which would catch the Business centers like MAD/VIE/LIN/MXP - that is the one mistake that they have made BUT they are not alone. AA in F (so called) only serve "refreshments"

700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie

Sounds so appetising.

LHR - MAD - 774 MILES
LHR - VIE - 791 MILES
LHR - LIN 608 MILES

Look what you'd get at those distances. I raise these are AA seem to be the flavour of the month. I have no idea what Iberia would be serving and their food is usually very good - however they'd be serving that Cava muck as someone called it - at least that is better than that revolting Fizz (Bubbles they call it, rubble I call it) served elsewhere.

BA is much better than AA, regardless of distance AA don't serve any meal after 8pm on domestic flights, only nuts cookies etc.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Standard English breakfast on LHR-PMO on Tuesday, served by smiling, friendly and efficient CC.
Attached Images  
Old May 18, 2017, 12:43 pm

brilliant! will stick to Iberia business on Spanish routes...

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Hello from Heathrow, where I have just flown in from Prague. Naturally I was delighted to learn that British Airways have made big improvements to Club Toastie Europe on my flight today.

Previously, I would receive a hot meal on such a band 3 lunchtime flight. For example, it may have been cod with mash and minted peas, a fillet of salmon with tagliatelle, or perhaps a piece of pork belly. These meals were often vastly too filling, resulting in wastage and the associated damaging environmental concerns.

So, how was the new-improved flight?

The first noticeable improvement was that I was offered my meal choice before any drink. It is great to see that BA have removed this cumbersome drinks run. As all good restaurant-owners knows, diners should always be served their meal before any water or wine.

The second improvement I discovered was in the new improved meal choice. I was offered a choice of a salad, or a cheese and tomato panini; BA are assisting with my weight-loss programme. Excellent! Thankfully the panini was sufficiently unappealing that it forces me to take the healthy salad option - top marks here.

The third improvement was the reduced portion-size, thus furthering my weight-loss programme. After years of complaints about the three-prawn salad on short-haul, I was delighted to learn that BA have finally listened to this feedback and improved this.

The solitary prawn in my one-prawn salad was firmer and tastier, albeit a tad overcooked. It was well complemented by the sweet and succulent half-slice of a baby cherry tomato, which was plump and with improved flavour. The sprig of a salad leaf added a beautiful bouquet of colour, and the empty side plate improved the Feng Shui of the amuse-bouche meal.

The fourth improvement was the removal of miniature wine bottles; assisting with my New Year's resolution to reduce my alcohol consumption. As I discovered to my delight, serving wine by hand into thimble-sized glasses limits the amount I can consume, as it requires frequent top-ups from an otherwise busy crew. Furthermore, the round-catering and inability to chill wine makes me even more likely to avoid the Champagne or white. Splendid!

All in all, a big improvement. ^

I love BA!

Old May 18, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
BUT they are not alone. AA in F (so called) only serve "refreshments"

Sounds so appetising.

LHR - MAD - 774 MILES
LHR - VIE - 791 MILES
LHR - LIN 608 MILES

But...

1) on most routes, 80%+ of F pax are actually Y pax that are upgraded thanks to status. F is mostly a perk, not a separate class that AA sells bar a few key routes (transcon, Hawaii, etc), where it is actually 80% paid.

2) AA offers entirely different seats so there is a hard product value to F. BA just has Y seats with the middle one blocked. Not even extra legroom any more. In fact, on many 321 flights on low C destinations, you have a better seat in rows 9 or 23 in Y than in C.

As for IB, they would serve a full hot meal with two choices of main course on all medium and even some 'short' routes! They have an espresso machine too.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
But...

1) on most routes, 80%+ of F pax are actually Y pax that are upgraded thanks to status. F is mostly a perk, not a separate class that AA sells bar a few key routes (transcon, Hawaii, etc), where it is actually 80% paid.

2) AA offers entirely different seats so there is a hard product value to F. BA just has Y seats with the middle one blocked. Not even extra legroom any more. In fact, on many 321 flights on low C destinations, you have a better seat in rows 9 or 23 in Y than in C.

As for IB, they would serve a full hot meal with two choices of main course on all medium and even some 'short' routes! They have an espresso machine too.
Hmmm. - from my perspective most people on HNL are on awards anyway - but that matters not, what matters is what they serve and frankly on Domestic it is not much cop. I probably was served Chicken Pot Pie (whatever that is meant to be (as opposed to what was put in front of me)).

The seating has nothing to do with the catering.

Iberia was always good with their food even in Y until BoB - as long as you don't mind being given Cava (which for a Spanish carrier makes sense I suppose). If they are that good - presumably everyone going to MAD will fly them as they have no other direct flights to London having abandoned it all to VileAir.

Anyway to topic - I had the Panino coming back from LHR and thought that it was fine for the length of flight.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Hello,

Was trying to add a copy of the full menu for CE for Summer Rotation A but can't upload. It's here if anyone would like to view it; http://imgur.com/a/aTWHy
Old May 20, 2017, 2:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Chatty_Chef
Hello,

Was trying to add a copy of the full menu for CE for Summer Rotation A but can't upload. It's here if anyone would like to view it; http://imgur.com/a/aTWHy
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this, I'll attach a copy of the photograph to this post.

Chatty_Chef welcome to FlyerTalk and in particular the BA zone, I am pleased to see you and especially so with such a very helpful first post. Please do stay around, you're very welcome.
Attached Images  
Old May 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

But it does in the sense that if you try to sell a product you need to provide some selling point. In the US, on the few routes where F sells, this is typically the seating. Since European airlines have chosen not to differentiate the seating, they need to market something else.

Of course, on most routes within Europe, C does not sell either on point to point, and C is merely filled by connecting passengers, but on the few routes where it does (NCE which you mention and which we both know well being one of them), I personally doubt that the panino will cut it.

By the way I fully agree with you on the chicken pot pie. I don't on the panino though - my partner forced me (I swear!) to try hers last week and I found it really ghastly I must say. In fairness, I object to the principle anyway (I do not like panini and they are not what I want to get as a business class food main or for that matter only course), but I did not like the quality either. I'll stick to my special meals whenever flying CE short/medium.

PS: in fairness, even though I hated the panino, it is not as bad as the new afternoon tea. When I saw it, I thought that if I hadn't ordered a special meal and had had to eat those three disgusting little open faced sandwiches, I would have caused an air rage incident. This is just not on.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 20, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
But it does in the sense that if you try to sell a product you need to provide some selling point. In the US, on the few routes where F sells, this is typically the seating. Since European airlines have chosen not to differentiate the seating, they need to market something else.

.................................................. ....

Orbitmic's point here re the approach adopted by European airlines on business seating (ie the fact that such an approach represents a failure to distinguish the product) is a very relevant one.

Recently ausbt.com turned its attention to BA's current CE product - in the form of a review of a recent LGW-VCE sector.

Whilst delighted with onboard service provided by CC (awarding a max 5 stars), in all other respects it was totally underwhelmed - not least where food was concerned :

"On todays flight came an offer of muesli and yoghurt or a hot breakfast (chosen), delivered in an economy-style foil container with eggs, sausages, mushrooms, bacon and a tomato, plus bread from the bread basket and a fruit salad".
We use that term lightly, because five bites and yes, theres only one individual grape doth not a salad make.

There was, unsurprisingly, not much praise for CE seating either :

"If you were hoping for an actual domestic-style business class seat as youd find aboard Qantas or Virgin Australia back home, prepare to be disappointed as is common across Europe, business class simply means an economy class seat with business class amenities and a vacant seat next to you".
Old May 21, 2017, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
But...

AA serves meals on longer flights after 8pm.

And people on the BA board really need to stop assuming that what was true in 2010 for U.S. Airlines regarding the rate of paid F is true now. It isn't. Yes, there are some flights where most of F is upgraded but the rate of paid F traffic in the US is much higher than it was just a few years ago.

There are benefits and detriments to each service but give me the choice, I'd take AA domestic F over BA CE any day of the week.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Chatty_Chef
Hello,

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this, I'll attach a copy of the photograph to this post.

Chatty_Chef welcome to FlyerTalk and in particular the BA zone, I am pleased to see you and especially so with such a very helpful first post. Please do stay around, you're very welcome.
And let me also add my welcome to Chatty_Chef, that is indeed a very helpful post indeed. Welcome to the BA forum and Flyertalk. I see the entire Heathrow Rotation A is now available. So, by way of explanation, each month rotates between A, B and C. LHR, LGW and LCY have different meals. We are currently on Rotation A, so if flying from or to LHR in Club Europe in May or August, this is the entire menu. I'll put the rest of Rotation below.

If I can put in a plea to BA (or staff members) to give us this information for all 3 rotations at all 3 airports: I think this would be very helpful indeed. The allergen issue is best considered in advance rather than being reduced to "chicken or pasta" from a crew member trying to get everyone served quickly. For parents with young children who eat some but not all adult food, again this would be very helpful. Some people who may consider a Special Meal would avoid doing so if they could see this information in advance. Though there is some unhappiness here on Mediums outside of Breakfast, the rest of the CE meal service is actually worth showcasing in my view.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

By the way I fully agree with you on the chicken pot pie. I don't on the panino though - my partner forced me (I swear!) to try hers last week and I found it really ghastly I must say. In fairness, I object to the principle anyway (I do not like panini and they are not what I want to get as a business class food main or for that matter only course),

PS: in fairness, even though I hated the panino, it is not as bad as the new afternoon tea. When I saw it, I thought that if I hadn't ordered a special meal and had had to eat those three disgusting little open faced sandwiches, I would have caused an air rage incident. This is just not on.
I take it from this that you found the 'new' afternoon tea to be worse than the dreadful original afternoon tea......?

If so, that really is quite some achievement by BA ... !!
Old May 21, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Love the Freudian typo on one of the middle pics: "finger sandwiches 70% load ration

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.