Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Butter: as a farmer I know I'm supposed to bang the drum for the UK dairy industry, which has suffered terribly over the last two decades, partly due to increased foreign competition. But the two previous varieties were pretty awful, and both Président (LHR) and Elle et Vire (LGW) are much better quality products than the previous items, so it's difficult to know where to start there. Maybe it's just something the French do better.
President and Elle et Vire have been making occasional appearances before on LHR/LGW respectively. I am thinking that they may well be just a temporary fill-in as they have been doing from time to time.

And even then, I don't particularly rate President butter highly. It's not exactly Echire... I'd rather have normal salted English butter in any case, uncouth as it may be.

I do very much object to the loss of fruit for breakfast though. I'm happy to give up the muesli in return for getting the fruit back.

(If I remember correctly, muesli has been part of Band 4 breakfast for LGW for some time anyway, so assuming the fruit is gone from Long LGW breakfast flight, it is a net loss in any case.)

Originally Posted by HarryBA
Some good photos and enjoy the bit about the butter!! As I'm Irish you just can't beat kerrygold. It has to be yellow butter not that white stuff. I think AA use it on some routes.
Totally random comment but Kerrygold seems to be the main brand of salted butter stocked at Arkadia in Malta. I like it (I get my stock for Italy from there).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 29, 2017 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Silver, Oman Air Silver, Hilton Silver, Amex Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I posted a picture of my miniscule VLML brunch plate further back in this post. This was served on a Medium route, but I believe the food offering will be the same on Short. Amazingly, I've seen a few posts saying that this exact dish is also the special meal served when a kid's meal is ordered...

I assume getting almost no food at all probably isn't your idea of a good substitute for the 'premium' panini...!
Dang, I came across your post earlier but scrolling quickly through just thought 'oh, that's the new starter option, nice enough I guess'. I'm stunned how anyone can call 3/4 of a tomato and some pieces of mozzarella lunch

Found myself on a Luxair flight the other day which had coffee, cremant and a salad sandwich in economy, for a flight under an hour. When I get pretty much the same service on an economy flight for half the price as I do with BA CE, there's a bit of a problem with the 'premium' offering. Heck, Luxair even threw in newspapers and the now-possibly-enhanced refreshing wipe.

When I get a full meal on a plate, at least it feels premium. Alas, not anymore. If the meals stay the same and with no means to avoid them, I think it will be one more CE flight for me, to get silver, and then sitting back in ET from then on out...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
For comparison, this was today's business class meal on a Lufthansa flight from FRA to LHR with a 10 am departure. The only cutback I've seen on Lufthansa in the last few months that they no longer have cloth napkins, but now use paper napkins on domestic and European short-haul services since the beginning of the year.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by acjflyer
For comparison, this was today's business class meal on a Lufthansa flight from FRA to LHR with a 10 am departure. The only cutback I've seen on Lufthansa in the last few months that they no longer have cloth napkins, but now use paper napkins on domestic and European short-haul services since the beginning of the year.
Yes - their business Euro food was always more minimal. Im glad Ba don't mix sweet and savoury on the same plate! That passion fruit yogurt thing is better than the BA pot equivalent though.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Hello from Heathrow, where I have just flown in from Prague. Naturally I was delighted to learn that British Airways have made big improvements to Club Toastie Europe on my flight today.

Previously, I would receive a hot meal on such a band 3 lunchtime flight. For example, it may have been cod with mash and minted peas, a fillet of salmon with tagliatelle, or perhaps a piece of pork belly. These meals were often vastly too filling, resulting in wastage and the associated damaging environmental concerns.

So, how was the new-improved flight?

The first noticeable improvement was that I was offered my meal choice before any drink. It is great to see that BA have removed this cumbersome drinks run. As all good restaurant-owners knows, diners should always be served their meal before any water or wine.

The second improvement I discovered was in the new improved meal choice. I was offered a choice of a salad, or a cheese and tomato panini; BA are assisting with my weight-loss programme. Excellent! Thankfully the panini was sufficiently unappealing that it forces me to take the healthy salad option - top marks here.

The third improvement was the reduced portion-size, thus furthering my weight-loss programme. After years of complaints about the three-prawn salad on short-haul, I was delighted to learn that BA have finally listened to this feedback and improved this.

The solitary prawn in my one-prawn salad was firmer and tastier, albeit a tad overcooked. It was well complemented by the sweet and succulent half-slice of a baby cherry tomato, which was plump and with improved flavour. The sprig of a salad leaf added a beautiful bouquet of colour, and the empty side plate improved the Feng Shui of the amuse-bouche meal.

The fourth improvement was the removal of miniature wine bottles; assisting with my New Year's resolution to reduce my alcohol consumption. As I discovered to my delight, serving wine by hand into thimble-sized glasses limits the amount I can consume, as it requires frequent top-ups from an otherwise busy crew. Furthermore, the round-catering and inability to chill wine makes me even more likely to avoid the Champagne or white. Splendid!

All in all, a big improvement. ^

I love BA!

Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Took the BA 817 yday from CPH to LHR which departs at 1630. Dislike BA's afternoon tea so had gone for the Gluten Free special meal. Was expecting the normal chicken and faux-rice Asian inspired salad, but instead got a mozzarella, tomato and pesto dish which was awesome. Standard afternoon tea was offered, as was a "Ploughman's", which had a scotch egg, stilton, and cold cuts.

I like the new service routine but I can't help but feel like it's wasteful. Hate the idea of them having to pour out an opened bottle of champagne after each flight.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I was on the inaugural TLL-LHR yesterday, what would have been Band 3, now "long". Departure time was 1355, so narrowly missing old afternoon tea time.

[OT, but no lounge in TLL, and there won't be a contract signed (apparently on any new seasonal route)]

7 of us in Club, and 2 crew serving on this A321, so a good crew/pax ratio.

No menus handed out, magazines were, but only much later on in the flight when they were discovered. The crew had no idea they were loaded. Menus might have been hidden away somewhere. Blankets (but no pillows) were on the seats.

First drinks run, no champagne on the trolley, but I guess it's on demand (I saw an open bottle in the galley later). I was asked if I wanted a "small or large" rum & coke. I went with a large.

Next the (small) tray came out, complete with starter, cheese, dessert and cutlery. I didn't notice much difference with the cutlery, maybe not worth a multimillion pound investment. Bread was offered. The starter was melon with single prawn, pre-peppered with raspberry sauce. I thought the pepper ruined the dish. Speaking to the crew clearing, she agreed that it was an odd mix.

The cutlery set came with S&P and wet wipe (someone mentioned it had vanished?). Butter was French

Next the main came out, a choice of cod (?) or chicken with rataouille and cheesy gnocchi (bizarre mix), but it was all pretty tasty. More bread was offered.

Zoomed in

The cheese wasn't to my taste. It would have been nice to have two half portions (didn't there used to be two proper slivers?) rather than one bigger one in case you don't like that type of cheese? Dessert (some sort of chocolate cake) was delicious.

Tea/coffee offered after lunch. I went with a peppermint, which was good. I don't like the rim on the new cup, but the overall shape makes much more sense. I do miss the nice blue pictures on the cup though.

The drinks were free flowing for the rest of the flight, and the crew were very friendly and approachable.

Overall, I thought the new system was pretty good, there was plenty of food. I thought that bringing out the starter/dessert/cheese at the same time was a little odd (but certainly not unknown in Business Class catering). I don't understand why desserts and cheese can't be loaded separtately from the starters, then brought out on their own at the end. Seeing as the trays are so much emptier now, they could even get rid of them entirely, and just use the existing tray liner as a place mat. That would seem more premium?

I was talking to the crew later in the galley, and whislt they seemed happy with the improved food visually, they said they were embarassed to serve the new medium food, as there just wasn't enough loaded. One of them also said she was very sad to see the scones go ("isn't that what afternoon tea is all about?!").

Last edited by shefgab; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Hello from Heathrow, where I have just flown in from Prague. Naturally I was delighted to learn that British Airways have made big improvements to Club Toastie Europe on my flight today.

Previously, I would receive a hot meal on such a band 3 lunchtime flight. For example, it may have been cod with mash and minted peas, a fillet of salmon with tagliatelle, or perhaps a piece of pork belly. These meals were often vastly too filling, resulting in wastage and the associated damaging environmental concerns.

So, how was the new-improved flight?

The first noticeable improvement was that I was offered my meal choice before any drink. It is great to see that BA have removed this cumbersome drinks run. As all good restaurant-owners knows, diners should always be served their meal before any water or wine.

The second improvement I discovered was in the new improved meal choice. I was offered a choice of a salad, or a cheese and tomato panini; BA are assisting with my weight-loss programme. Excellent! Thankfully the panini was sufficiently unappealing that it forces me to take the healthy salad option - top marks here.

The third improvement was the reduced portion-size, thus furthering my weight-loss programme. After years of complaints about the three-prawn salad on short-haul, I was delighted to learn that BA have finally listened to this feedback and improved this.

The solitary prawn in my one-prawn salad was firmer and tastier, albeit a tad overcooked. It was well complemented by the sweet and succulent half-slice of a baby cherry tomato, which was plump and with improved flavour. The sprig of a salad leaf added a beautiful bouquet of colour, and the empty side plate improved the Feng Shui of the amuse-bouche meal.

The fourth improvement was the removal of miniature wine bottles; assisting with my New Year's resolution to reduce my alcohol consumption. As I discovered to my delight, serving wine by hand into thimble-sized glasses limits the amount I can consume, as it requires frequent top-ups from an otherwise busy crew. Furthermore, the round-catering and inability to chill wine makes me even more likely to avoid the Champagne or white. Splendid!

All in all, a big improvement. ^

I love BA!

Ooo, PRG was the sweet spot in the RFS that it always had a nice hot meal.

I think BA is actually trying to get you to pile the weight on with those delicious premium carbs from the panini but don't worry too much, the panini gets only one brushing of premium pesto paste to not overbear the flavour and the extra few cals. I'm happy you took the delicious salad, but can you comment on how firm the chicken was? Would you judge it to be free range? I note it to be very delicately placed, real care and attention was given to this before it was dispatched from the Luton (or wherever it is ) premium BA kitchens.

My BA three prawn salad moniker has really taken off!

Commendations for managing to fill so much space cataloguing subtle improvements that only a true regular would notice .
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by shefgab
... First drinks run, no champagne on the trolley, but I guess it's on demand (I saw an open bottle in the galley later). I was asked if I wanted a "small or large" rum & coke. I went with a large.

Firstly, many thanks for the excellent review of the product. Well written and very useful.

Are my eyes deceiving me or do I see new cocktail glasses that have actually grown in size?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I am sad for the PRG flight, as I will have one late August on brunch time with the family. I think no one will be happy with that quantity...
On the other side, the TLL flight seems to have a nice meal with good portions.

It's a real shame for the outcome on medium flights...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Are my eyes deceiving me or do I see new cocktail glasses that have actually grown in size?
Can we ask for the wine and champagne to be served in one of those giant glasses rather than the thimble shaped wine glasses.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:24 am

Firstly, many thanks for the excellent review of the product. Well written and very useful.

No problem! Glass size? Hmmm, if they are larger, then I didn't notice. They're still half the size of the one I'm drinking out of at the moment! (and it's not a pint glass!)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Can we ask for the wine and champagne to be served in one of those giant glasses rather than the thimble shaped wine glasses.
Hahaha. not a bad idea!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
No problem! Glass size? Hmmm, if they are larger, then I didn't notice. They're still half the size of the one I'm drinking out of at the moment! (and it's not a pint glass!)
Looking at your photographs, the G&T glass does look significantly bigger than the Bacardi glass. I was told bigger glasses were coming, but reports above say that they are not. Your photo suggests there are larger glasses available, I hope so. The normal ones are just too small to mix a decent G&T.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Looking at your photographs, the G&T glass does look significantly bigger than the Bacardi glass. I was told bigger glasses were coming, but reports above say that they are not. Your photo suggests there are larger glasses available, I hope so. The normal ones are just too small to mix a decent G&T.
I haven't actually flown CE since last summer so my memories of the previous glass are not terribly clear, especially as you can see the normal contents!

You certainly can't put 2 ice cubes in + can + bottle though, so still not massive glasses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.