Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by headingwest
But I have to ask.....what is it about the new mug that makes such a difference??
Tea can't brew in a puddle, let alone keep its temperature. I'm now trying to work out how they kept those previous stupidly designed mugs for so long. Proper black mugs for all, I say.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Tea can't brew in a puddle, let alone keep its temperature. I'm now trying to work out how they kept those previous stupidly designed mugs for so long. Proper black mugs for all, I say.
Oh, I'm more of a coffee person and I much preferred the old design. But that's progress for you...everything's getting simplified.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Silver, Oman Air Silver, Hilton Silver, Amex Gold
Is there any news on what a special meal is like with the new CE offerings?

I have a few AMS and DUB flights coming up, which were booked in mind of the nice enough meals I've had before (salmon skewers and couscous was always perfectly fine). In comparison, the panini looks like a bit of a joke that I'd like to avoid... I'm mainly holding out hope that there is some way to avoid the enhancement of a 'premium' cheese and tomato sandwich.

Ho-hum, at least I have one flight coming up where I can have the tasty-looking ploughmans...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JetSetC
Very good question and I'd love to know (for short + medium). As reported in the old catering thread I got so fed up with brunch and afternoon tea on previous versions that I started considering special meal alternatives. I really liked the gluten free but fear it might be the 1/2 tomato + mozzarella bites now, as I suspect Muslim might be. Vlml was not to great and is the same. I might try indian vegetarian but am somewhat more tempted to try kosher: it was never the greatest but was always a larger quantity of food, which, right now feels appealing. I'm just worried it could be sandwiches which I dislike.

If anyone has tried any of those (or other) I'd be very interested. If not I'll report next week when I have my first chance to be on one of those routes in ce.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Wow....so am I correct in the interpretation that the 19.20 LHR/GOT flight which used to be a great end to the day with a small cabin, and a nice hot meal (chicken or fish - but either option was good), has now been replaced by a choice or small salad or a hot panini? (I know I crave toasted sandwiches but not in the air please....)

There goes any business case for taking CE on EU travel....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
To be honest C-W-S, there isn't much in the 'improvements' that you've listed that would really impress me. As someone who likes to eat a balanced meal I'd be much more concerned about the loss of fruit.

But I have to ask.....what is it about the new mug that makes such a difference??
Yes, I agree. The old breakfast looks much better than the new, in my opinion.

But, to be honest, I can't say I feel incentivised to try it and find out.

I think my days of flying CE, except for the longest flights, are now over.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Well rather than May, I will get to try Club Europe next week. To Belfast of all places!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But my general impression from what I've seen (but not experienced) is noticeable improvement to Short and Long, with particular note of those routes move to Long; however a downgrade on Mediums for lunch / evening meals.
I am not sure I would put these on an equal footing, though. The improvements at both end of the spectrum (short and long) look marginal but the downgrade in the middle is very substantial.

It seems to me that the most significant impact is on the old band 3 routes. There seems to be a genuine, meaningful improvement for the longer ones (mostly leisure destinations) that now fall in "long." OTOH, there is a very substantial downgrading for the ex-band 3s that now fall in "medium".
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On the before & after breakfast photos : the loss of the fruit plate means that the only vaguely healthy part of the overall 'package' has now gone.

Don't feel either version is particularly premium (although adequate for a short sector) ; but on balance, would be happier to retain the old breakfast than switch to the new.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Originally Posted by obduro
In all fairness, I had the panini on the MAD - LHR yesterday and it was rather tasty. Better than the "salad" on offer that consisted of one prawn, a smattering of lettuce leaves and something else I had no idea of - I'm sure it's upthread somewhere but TL/DR...

I was more concerned with the fact there was no IFE on the 777 and I couldn't even charge my phone! I assume that's how it is on the short hop but it's still pretty stingy especially when Iberia turn theirs on when the A340 is rostered on the same route. Shame.
For the Madrid runs to London the IB A340 is the way to go and from the images and report in this thread and my historic flight IB will firmly be receiving my business over BA.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
From my JER photos upthread, I realise that I'm able to do a clear "before" and "after" for the Short band flights at least for breakfast and brunch.

What's more, for the breakfast - by coincidence - the aircraft, route and the CSM were the same! So same oven, same timings, same chef. The brunch photo "before" is a LHR version (you can tell by the
butter colour, which perhaps means I've been flying too much) but it is identical to LGW other than the fruit component on LHR was very variable, something LGW didn't suffer from.

So "Before" for Short Breakfast LGW-JER:

The "After":

Improvements:
- Overall presentation
- Served hotter
- Tomato taste improvement, less stewed, more grilled flavour
- Firmer omelette
- New bread items
- Better quality butter (see below)
- New mug makes such a difference
- Bread plate (for me a non issue, but never mind)
- Croissant looked plumper and larger than before. Don't read anything into the fact that the Before had a croissant, that was just me being greedy).
- Moma muesli pot

Diminishments:
- Fruit plate replaced by muesli

Overall: a big improvement on these set of routes

And "Before" Brunch (LHR):

The "After" Brunch (LGW):

Improvements:
- Overall presentation
- Better cheese
- Better balance of items
- New bread items
- More egg (and presumably free-range from the colour)
- Better quality butter
- New mug
- Croissant improvement

Diminishments:
- fruit plate
- slightly reduced food quantity

Overall: an improvement, but I suspect few passengers would notice.

For my "after" breakfast, the red stain above the mushrooms was due to the tomato slightly sticking to the cover foil, and I wiped the excess on to that edge of the plate. Incidentally I did see a fruit plate going back JER-LGW, someone's special meal but I wasn't in a position to find out more.

Butter: as a farmer I know I'm supposed to bang the drum for the UK dairy industry, which has suffered terribly over the last two decades, partly due to increased foreign competition. But the two previous varieties were pretty awful, and both Président (LHR) and Elle et Vire (LGW) are much better quality products than the previous items, so it's difficult to know where to start there. Maybe it's just something the French do better.

I'm in a longhaul and AA loop for a few more weeks so though I've got plenty of "before" photos on my Cloud, I can't really make any more comparisons until mid April. But my general impression from what I've seen (but not experienced) is noticeable improvement to Short and Long, with particular note of those routes move to Long; however a downgrade on Mediums for lunch / evening meals.

Some good photos and enjoy the bit about the butter!! As I'm Irish you just can't beat kerrygold. It has to be yellow butter not that white stuff. I think AA use it on some routes.

Any my ideas if this is the same breakfast that will be on the long routes? If so seems a bit of a let down given the increased offerings at other times of the day compared to the medium and short meals.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
I am not sure I would put these on an equal footing, though. The improvements at both end of the spectrum (short and long) look marginal but the downgrade in the middle is very substantial.

It seems to me that the most significant impact is on the old band 3 routes. There seems to be a genuine, meaningful improvement for the longer ones (mostly leisure destinations) that now fall in "long." OTOH, there is a very substantial downgrading for the ex-band 3s that now fall in "medium".
I fully agree with your analysis.

To be honest, I'm not even sure that I think of short as improved (either substantively or marginally) as the former main course salad for lunch/dinner was much larger than the new 'amuse bouche' version, the brunch plate has reduced in size, and the afternoon tea has lost its scones (not something I'll personally miss but I know many will) so it seems to me that many short route flyers will consider themselves worse rather than better off.

Like NickB, apart from domestic, I'd say that the most significant impact by very, very far, and the only significant change is for former band 3. It's as though some BA router was dispatching band 3 flights to heaven or hell with his/her magic wand, with the former 3B being much improved particularly for former brunch and tea time flights, and the former 3A being very much worse off, particularly for lunch and dinner time flights.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by StuartS
Sorry... replying to childs meal conversation few pages back...

We travelled CDG-LHR yesterday afternoon, and the child's meal was the same Mozzarella/tomato plate, but being a shorter flight and afternoon tea time, the kids meal lacked the bread / mousse, and gained a slightly different (from the adult) mini-sponge cake.

Needless to say, I ate well on the flight while the little one just carried on with his sticker book (having told me "that's not real cheese").

Crew were surprised, and (proactively) gave me a feedback form which I filled in for feedback.
Served once it would clearly seem to have been a mistake... served twice... well that really is something. I am almost lost for words.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: Honors Lifetime Diamond, BAEC Gold
Short veggie afternoon tea

Originally Posted by JetSetC

I have a few AMS and DUB flights coming up, which were booked in mind of the nice enough meals I've had before (salmon skewers and couscous was always perfectly fine). In comparison, the panini looks like a bit of a joke that I'd like to avoid... I'm mainly holding out hope that there is some way to avoid the enhancement of a 'premium' cheese and tomato sandwich.

Ho-hum, at least I have one flight coming up where I can have the tasty-looking ploughmans...

The veggie brunch short/medium afternoon tea.

As was before,minus the scone.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dave10; Mar 29, 2017 at 1:17 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:41 am

Oh, I'm more of a coffee person and I much preferred the old design. But that's progress for you...everything's getting simplified.
+1. In fact, espresso machine and matching cups is one improvement I would have certainly welcomed! I don't like/use mugs but I guess that's a cultural thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.