Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Medium flight dinner

Hi,
I could be wrong (although I have been watching this thread from the start) but I do not recall anyone posting details of having a medium flight dinner. Did I miss it? There are shorts and longs but no mediums. I guess I am clutching at straws in the hope that my evening NCE flight dinners have not been replaced by a panini........

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lefly
I am glad that this one seems unchanged, as I like it very much
It's lost the fruit plate.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Just had my first taste of this to GIB.. personally I found the menu pretty unattractive, starting with a beetroot carpaccio, a choice of smoked chicken or beef checks, followed by a banana and hazelnut chocolate tower.

The beef was okay, but I thought it was a big step down from the pork belly I had last week. For me the starter was inedible as I don't like beetroot.

The dessert was a big improvement on the small pots previously offered, a proper slice of dessert, however it tasted disgusting.. a mix of banana and hazelnut is not particularly appealing to me.

Why have 3 plates that don't fit onto the tray properly? Doesn't make any sense to me.. the tray needs to be slightly bigger.

The service was also painfully slow, they were just serving tea and coffee at the 20 mins to land point.. on a 2h30 flight. Maybe that's just getting used to the new routine, but they didn't even start the lunch service until we were over northern Spain. Far too slow if you want to get any work done onboard.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by bafan
It's lost the fruit plate.
I noticed*, but I was talking about the main plate. Next time I'll specify

*Selfish POV: I can happily live without fruit
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by noubliepas
The service was also painfully slow, they were just serving tea and coffee at the 20 mins to land point.. on a 2h30 flight. Maybe that's just getting used to the new routine, but they didn't even start the lunch service until we were over northern Spain. Far too slow if you want to get any work done onboard.
Just had exactly the same experience (and menu) to ARN this afternoon. While I'd be kinder about the menu (I though overall an improvement on previous), they were also struggling to serve coffee before landing. I guess this is lack of familiarity but starter>main took ages and not much work was going to get done on that flight. That said, lovely crew and made up for it somewhat with generous application of the drinks trolley...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by headingwest
OK, I was being generous , I initially wrote Ł3, but that would be crazy! Anyway I feel vindicated that I described it as a 'cheap old sarnie' because it was obvious that was what it was going to be.

Such a shame because all band 3's used to have some decent meals at most times.
I tried to cost out a short/medium band salad tray, and think that the entire meal contents (minus booze) is under Ł1. Clearly there is no point in flying Club for the food now for short/ medium flights. Far better off self catering (or even BoB).

That being said, I'm still looking forward to my "long" lunch tomorrow. I'll post some photos.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by apollo00
Just had exactly the same experience (and menu) to ARN this afternoon. While I'd be kinder about the menu (I though overall an improvement on previous), they were also struggling to serve coffee before landing. I guess this is lack of familiarity but starter>main took ages and not much work was going to get done on that flight. That said, lovely crew and made up for it somewhat with generous application of the drinks trolley...
Agreed. We were also offered plenty of drinks.

About the menu, I thought the starter and dessert were a big improvement overall, simply that I didn't like the flavours. The problem is, if you don't like beetroot there was nothing else to eat. I would rather have a beetroot salad than just a plate of something that not everybody likes. But, its a minor point - better to have a starter than no starter at all.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:31 am

I just got back from Bergen, new medium service (ex band 3) and I got the same meal as short (band 1). Flight time was over 2 hours.
FA announced that a light meal would be served. (13:35 departure)
I have asked for both meals which was not an option even in row 1. (No luck for me!)
Salad consisted of 1 prawn, 2 small pieces of chicken and some decorative leaves.
On a plus side several refills of champagne have been offered.
Well, this is definitely a downgrade for routes like BGO, NCE and OSL which were previously band 3.
Looking forward to experience the Long sectors soon.
I will post some pics shortly.

Last edited by Giorgiok86; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:37 am Reason: Forgot to add something
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
Hi,
I could be wrong (although I have been watching this thread from the start) but I do not recall anyone posting details of having a medium flight dinner. Did I miss it? There are shorts and longs but no mediums. I guess I am clutching at straws in the hope that my evening NCE flight dinners have not been replaced by a panini........
Short and medium have the same food apparently, so any of the hot sandwiches or tiny cold salads are what you'll get on a medium flight.

Page 12 on this thread has the brunch I had on Lyon to London - both options. Page 14 on this thread has the lunch I had on London to Dublin - both options. My blog also has posts about it too.

Some of the other meals look alright though, the ones posted by c-w-s looked fine.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Had the ploughman's earlier - will put a picture up after I get home if no-one beats me to it.
Slice of ham, salami, rolled cheese perhaps, bit of mouldy cheese, some picallili and pickle, small tomato and leaf of something. Slice of rye type bread that really should have been two thin slices in order to spread the President butter on and make a sandwich.
Small cream sponge that wasn't as good as a scone (cabin crew said the scones and afternoon were unpopular so they got rid of them).
Couple of bottles of Castlenau to wash them down and could have had a third.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by noubliepas
Agreed. We were also offered plenty of drinks.

About the menu, I thought the starter and dessert were a big improvement overall, simply that I didn't like the flavours. The problem is, if you don't like beetroot there was nothing else to eat. I would rather have a beetroot salad than just a plate of something that not everybody likes. But, its a minor point - better to have a starter than no starter at all.
I can agree somewhat, beetroot isn't my favourite thing at all and something with some protein involved would have been nice too. The dessert was also a little interesting but nice it wasn't a plastic pot. I figure there will be menus I like and dislike whatever the setup but the concept seems sound.

I think the idea of a separately served starter and main is a good move. My previous complaint about the longer CE flights was the food and service felt like a WT/WTP level meal. The new setup at least feels more like what you get in CW.

I haven't experienced the 'medium' routes yet so I'll reserve judgement until then, I have some practical sympathy there for both sides of the argument - there was a mismatch between what they were trying to do and the flight time on some of those flights. But the other side of that is that routes like OSL deserve more than sandwich (particularly given the state of the lounge there).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by xenole
Had the ploughman's earlier - will put a picture up after I get home if no-one beats me to it.
Slice of ham, salami, rolled cheese perhaps, bit of mouldy cheese, some picallili and pickle, small tomato and leaf of something. Slice of rye type bread that really should have been two thin slices in order to spread the President butter on and make a sandwich.
Small cream sponge that wasn't as good as a scone (cabin crew said the scones and afternoon were unpopular so they got rid of them).
Couple of bottles of Castlenau to wash them down and could have had a third.
I've seen a picture of the ploughman's and it looks pretty good! I'd love to have that with scones - now that would be some afternoon tea. It would be nice to have the scones on offer from the basket.

I'm quite surprised that the scones were not popular. Perhaps people didn't choose them because when presented with the afternoon tea tray of before, there was nowhere to put the scones.

Some people won't take things when there's no room on the tray. Never stopped me, but still.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

I will start with this, a report of sorts, as my expectations were near rock bottom when I boarded today's 799, my mood not helped by a thoroughly and quite unexpectedly tedious flight connection; the NoRRA to Speedbird experience was decidedly suboptimal, plus the pictures I viewed earlier today of that puffy, presumably hot, yet decidedly comically un-premium panini lingered in my back of my mind.

As it transpired, I was afforded not only a casual snapshot but in truth an entire sector of premiumness or as BBB would say, short haul shining. The dour waterside joy eradication machine perhaps missed a spot. Allow me to elaborate... (pardon the semi live format)

BA799 HEL-LHR CE
14 pax. Catering wise, this one is categorised as a long flight. Previously Band 3.

Okay, we'll start with a couple of service blunders - no menus, no hot towels but what we do have are two enthusiastic crew members (SCCM plus CCM). No haste is getting in the way of the drinks run. Dinner has been cleared, and there's just a couple of sips of Castelnau to go, my second, with 3 passes between Helsinki and Kiel, I am pacing myself. (Quick edit over Southend - I've been strong armed into my third

Okay enough of the preamble and onto the service. From the top...

Tomato juice, spice, slice n ice
Out of Africa nut mix

Orders for dinner were then taken: this evening its cod or chicken. It was stew n mash on the way out but that was with another airline.

The tray arrives. There is a melon and prawn starter. Its nicely presented. Tastes light and is refreshing the palette. We're off to a good start

Stilton, relish and oatcakes sit to the side, they're on standby till after the main is cleared. Same goes for the chocolate espresso bean dessert with cappuccino mouse honeycomb crunch

Photos will follow, once I get back to Barnes. I'm on the north runway presently.

Starter cleared, charger exposed, main lands. It's Cod alright with a wasabi mash plus a medley of beans, courgette, carrot baby corn slices. Actually it's pretty tasty.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I suspect that the reason that it took longer was the unfamiliarity with the new service. They've been doing the old service for a very long time. This will pass with practice.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by apollo00
But the other side of that is that routes like OSL deserve more than sandwich (particularly given the state of the lounge there).
I think the lounge in OSL is one of the better European outstations in terms of food offering. There's certainly a lot worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.