Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Notice the size of the tray has shrunk for Band 4.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Prospero
Excellent idea, madfish

LGW-MLA breakfast
Previously Band 4, now Long
Watching the fruit gradually disappear as if someone is eating it is amusing!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I don't quite understand why the 'hot sandwich' tray still has butter and a bread plate, but I suppose it makes the tray look full! Or maybe it's there to remind passengers of what they previously had.

Perhaps Littlegirl or another crew member would be able to answer the following. Will the new Club Europe hot sandwich be heated in the same oven as the Euro Traveller bacon rolls? That would surely simplify the process greatly, as I presume the old set up was that CE meals were heated in the front galley, while ET hot snacks were heated at the back. Is that correct?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
This was the VLML brunch plate on CPH-LHR earlier today:

While this was a beautifully presented plate - I don't think I've ever had a flower on my plate before on BA, although that could just be CPH catering rather than anything to do with the new regime! - the lack of any sweet item on the tray was very disappointing. Luckily I wasn't hungry either, as not-even-a-whole tomato and three slivers of mozzarella is hardly filling fare.

It doesn't compare particularly well to this VLML afternoon tea plate LHR-GOT last week - yes, it's a different meal service, but I would probably have been served the same sort of salad for brunch in the past anyway:

The wine-from-a-bottle thing appears to be a total con, aimed at ensuring less booze is served, and I agree that it will lead to people sitting with empty glasses on heavily-loaded CE flights... Mission accomplished there then.

I didn't have the little packet plastic packet inside my napkin, just the sachet of salt and pepper. This might have been because it was a SPML tray, I'd be curious to know whether anyone else is seeing the same. If so, then it's curtains for the glasses cleaner refreshing wipe! Sugar was also absent from my napkin bundle - I don't know whether there are now packets on the trolley to be handed out if required...?

And finally, here's a close-up of the new mug for those who are desperate to know more!

Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
MLA-LGW in CE

I experienced the new Club Europe menu today on day 1 of its operation on a nearly full flight in CE from MLA-LGW. I reckon 30 out of 32 seats are taken.

Nothing special about announcement after take off - the usual "complimentary meal and drinks for those in our Club Europe cabin"

Hot towels offered and collected - the little flannels were the same as always.

The menus came and this was the first sign of change. They are in portrait format now instead of the landscape card that opens up as before so probably cheaper to produce. Food is set out on one side, the bar menu on back. In case I can't upload the photos I took on my mobile these were the selections:

MENU

Starter: smoked salmon with crème fraîche

Main: thyme roasted chicken with leek and mushroom velouté or Spicy corn and paneer masala.

Dessert: light and dark chocolate cheesecake

And

British Coastal cheddar with quince jelly and crackers.

Warm breads

Coffee tea (with herbals and hot choc) on request.

On the other side:

APÉRITIFS AND SPIRITS

Tanqueray
Gordon's
Johnnie Walker Black
Jack Daniels
Smirnoff Blue and Red

Champagne de Castelnau

Selection of wines "please ask your cabin crew for today's offering".

Beers: St Austell, Heineken and Tiger.

Comment: Shame that the Glenlivet Single Malt has gone as has the Otard cognac and the Amstel Light.

Then we had a magazine run which I don't remember happening before though not much of a take up.

The drinks trolley then came round with Big Bottles including the wines and the Castelnau. There were two reds and two whites.

1C had champagne and a second bottle was put on the trolley.

The reds were a Pez de Rio Merlot and a La Cacciatora Syrah.

The whites were a Pez de Rio Sauvignon Blanc and a La Musa Pinot Grigio.

All screw tops.

The first bottle of Champagne ran out by row 4 and they opened new one for me. We got Out of Africa nuts and I ordered an orange juice as well - drumroll - yes the glasses were bigger, the next size up I would say. I made a Buck's Fizz and was grateful at least it wasn't Monopole...

The FA then went round and takes the orders for the main course. I'm going for the paneer masala but there is a run on the chicken in rows 1 - 4 and it's apologies for rows 6-8 there is only the curry left.

Lunch was then served along with a second drinks run.

The first big change is that the tray (now square) contains only your starter, dessert and cheese. You are handed your cutlery in a napkin separately and the main comes later.

The taste test:

The starter - 9 out of 10. Three slices of smoked salmon with a beautiful crème fraîche, lemon and a sprig of flat leaf parsley.

The main - 8 of 10. The rice had crusted slightly round the edges but the curry was still spicy and tasty. And a good portion size too.

The cheesecake - 9 out of 10. Not really a cheesecake but it had great depth of flavour to it I have had so many bland ones on BA before.

The cheese - 8 out of 10 the cheddar was very tasty - mature and tangy but the two water biscuits had gone a bit soggy through exposure to air otherwise I would have scored it a 9. I think they will need to wrap the crackers up again.

Meal trays were collected and teas and coffee offered along with drinks again - but the champagne bottle had been removed perhaps to manage expectations.

Interestingly 2 bottles = 8 quarter bottles which was the number served on the outbound flight before the FA announced that they had run out.

I then had a coffee in a proper mug and asked for a Jonnie Walkers with ice.

Overall verdict: this was a very pleasant 4 course meal and my only real criticism was the two slightly soggy crackers. It certain doesn't match the quality - or quantity - of a meal on TK from IST to LGW but it is much, much better than what went before.

This is my last paying fare with BA although I have three avios flights to BCN, BHD and EDI later in the year. I have decided not to maintain my status so will slip to Bronze later in the year. My loyalty has switched to *A and I got a status match with TK to the level that gets lounge entry and their product matches my needs much better.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Here is the brunch on a LYS which I believe is classed as short. I asked for and received both meals.

The mug didn't come with the tray either time, it was only when I requested green tea that I was given a mug. It kinda makes sense.

THERE IS A BREAD PLATE! Hallelujah!

The hot sandwich is quite substantial really, so it will be good if one is hungry at brunch time. I also would recommend the cold option though it is quite similar to the previous cold option. It doesn't look like much.

They offered bread with the cold option and no bread was offered with the sandwich, which makes sense. The crew said to me he wasn't sure he was doing it right as it was day 1.

Anyway, I'm in the Flounge right now and I'm off to Dublin at 13:20 so I'll report back with some pictures of the lunch offering too. I'll see if I can snag two lots again :P
The hot sandwich doesn't look great. They could have gone a step further and offered a mini shepard's pie or something like that (Comair in South Africa does it). As for the rest it is still average. Quite underwhelmed by these enhancements. They could have something great. But that won't happen until Alex Cruz is out!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
[QUOTE=FlightDetective;28087752]

Wow..
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
[QUOTE=gordon0808;28088249]

Wow..
I was served that exact same sandwich sans tray/cutlery on TK in Y between IST-OTP (50mins) last week!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
[QUOTE=RDinJER;28088277]
Originally Posted by gordon0808

I was served that exact same sandwich sans tray/cutlery on TK in Y between IST-OTP (50mins) last week!
TK's short haul catering in Y has been better or on par with BA in C for a while now..
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne

I didn't have the little packet plastic packet inside my napkin, just the sachet of salt and pepper. This might have been because it was a SPML tray, I'd be curious to know whether anyone else is seeing the same. If so, then it's curtains for the glasses cleaner refreshing wipe! Sugar was also absent from my napkin bundle - I don't know whether there are now packets on the trolley to be handed out if required...?

And finally, here's a close-up of the new mug for those who are desperate to know more!

That's correct - I was asked if I wanted milk or sugar and the mug arrived with it. The wipe was semi-useful. No salt and pepper either as I recall.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by JustTheOne

And that's it? The brunch main plate?
It looks meager... barely appetizer sized.

About the hot sandwich: to me is not bad looking, and sincerely seems more substantial that the cold plate, a bit on the scarce side again (IMO)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Alright, I am back from my LHR-DUB and so here is the lunch offering. Surprise, it's a sandwich, but a different one. This tasted much nicer than the brunch one. It was also much hotter! Front galley does the heating for Club Europe incidentally.

On the brunch flight, the crew did the service by hand. On this flight, we had trolley service. All the hot sandwiches were on top of the trolley and added to the plates as they were requested.

The mugs are given out if you request tea, otherwise not provided.

The sliver of jalapeno really enhanced the taste of this. I enjoyed it!

The salad alternative is now quite different from the lettuce fest of days gone by.

This was pretty good. Tasty apart from the chicken which is bland. It amuses me to see how much they can reduce the size of things - that lemon is remarkable.

The cold options on both brunch and lunch also seem to be the healthy/light alternative as well.

Last edited by FlightDetective; Nov 18, 2017 at 4:33 am Reason: Picture links changed, so uploaded and fixed.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Alright, I am back from my LHR-DUB and so here is the lunch offering. Surprise, it's a sandwich, but a different one. This tasted much nicer than the brunch one. It was also much hotter! Front galley does the heating for Club Europe incidentally.

On the brunch flight, the crew did the service by hand. On this flight, we had trolley service. All the hot sandwiches were on top of the trolley and added to the plates as they were requested.

The salad alternative is now quite different from the lettuce fest of days gone by.

This was pretty good. Tasty apart from the chicken which is bland. It amuses me to see how much they can reduce the size of things - that lemon is remarkable.

The cold options on both brunch and lunch also seem to be the healthy/light alternative as well.
I don't think its possible to describe that salad as lunch. Sure it may be tasty. But that is not a lunch.

Whatever on an ex-Band 1 flight from LHR but is this really the offer for dinner from northern Spain/Italy?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Presumably that salad is the non-sandwich option on a Band 3 such as Nice, Madrid, Barcelona or Vienna.

Pathetic.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold

l.

If I'd paid money for that at a sandwich bar it would the be the first and last time I visited that establishment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.