Club Europe catering guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 2, 17, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by sl1ppy View Post
Flew MAD-LHR CE , kosher meal (previously bountiful) seemed scaled down to pretty much the same as the standard offering.
On FCO - LHR on 29/09/2017 my Kosher meal was enormous;

A starter of duck breast bigger than most mains
Main of Beef Stroganoff with rice which was huge
A big and very rich chocolate delice type dessert

A breadbasket with two large rolls and a pot of honey.

It was the most filling meal I have ever had in CE.

To be fair the normal offering on that flight looked pretty good and of course I missed out on the cheese course.
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller View Post
On FCO - LHR on 29/09/2017 my Kosher meal was enormous;

A starter of duck breast bigger than most mains
Main of Beef Stroganoff with rice which was huge
A big and very rich chocolate delice type dessert

A breadbasket with two large rolls and a pot of honey.

It was the most filling meal I have ever had in CE.

To be fair the normal offering on that flight looked pretty good and of course I missed out on the cheese course.
Now you have me intrigued. Correct me please - but there should be cream in a Stroganoff? Dairy and meat in the same dish or do they do a non-cream version. I do hope that I cause no offense by my question but I'm really curious.
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by florens View Post
Oh I haven't seen that in a while now, angeloedades . My OH has now switched to different meals to get some change. I think it is really poor of BA to keep the same meals for so long.
Honestly - they all do it. AA serves the same slop for a month and then they switch to a different slop. I'm really talking domestic here (AA).

I have waded though bits of this thread at one time and another and it would seem that BA simply cannnot please everybody. Food is so subjective.

I had to go skidding on to a BA domestic from MAN - LHR a couple of weeks ago. I was given a bacon roll (which had something odd in it - I'd prefer to be common and stick to Brown Sauce) on quite a pleasant little tray. They then came and offered me Champagne. Trying to be sensible I had a Bucks Fizz. Well too actually.

This length of flight? Unbelievable. This of course contrasted with the flight the next day to MSP from ORD. Although twice the length they served drinks (at 12.00) and bags of snacks in what passes for First these days.

So far I think that these catering changes have been for the best athough if I ran BA I'd close the gap and makes some of the cities like MAD, VIE and BCN part of Long Catering. That said I adore Welsh Rarebit (why don't they call it that?) - so I don't care.

I was raised on Marmite, Sandwich Spread, and Lucozade which Mum used to leave for my tea whilst she was out at Bingo.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Now you have me intrigued. Correct me please - but there should be cream in a Stroganoff? Dairy and meat in the same dish or do they do a non-cream version. I do hope that I cause no offense by my question but I'm really curious.
I'm very sure that you spotted it right and that they will have used a non-dairy version! Would be a big no-no otherwise! I know people who keep kosher who use a whole range of pareve (non-dairy) substitutes for cream etc usually based on soy or equivalent.
Old Oct 2, 17, 10:42 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lots of complaints around today again on my medium (ex band 3) lunch flight today. I booked this too late to be able to order a special meal so had the silly salad made of undressed rocket with one cherry tomato, some plain boiled chicken breast (three mini slices) and more chopped chicken breast in curry/coronation dressing (about a spoonful). Someone complained about them not even putting a bit of dressing for the rocket. Dessert was a tiny chocolate slice. The alternative was a ghastly looking tomato and fake (non-bufala) mozzarella panino. At least they served it all to my neighbour who commented 'yuck' when I asked her how it was. The side salad has already been enhanced away. No nuts service nor pre-departure drink just one round of drinks with the lunch and tea/coffee afterwards.

For once I fancied wine but looking at all four bottles I decided to pass after all, they were very, very unappealing. Tanqueray and Fever Tree was good but that really is the only positive I can find to the experience.
Old Oct 2, 17, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
It was definitely non-dairy, the sauce seemed more like a casserole than a Stroganoff but was quite tasty.

I must admit I don't keep Kosher as I am not Jewish, but I do sometimes order a Kosher special meal as they often are a bit bigger than the standard meals, and also a change is as good as a rest!
Old Oct 2, 17, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Honestly - they all do it. AA serves the same slop for a month and then they switch to a different slop. I'm really talking domestic here (AA).
A (1) month. BA has had this since March or so (!).
orbitmic and rossmacd like this.
Old Oct 2, 17, 11:20 am

A (1) month. BA has had this since March or so (!).
Shame. I have had lots of different things but then I'm mainly on Long Catering.
Old Oct 2, 17, 11:23 am

Shame. I have had lots of different things but then I'm mainly on Long Catering.
Yes. Many routes are in the short band, and even on long flights (TLL in our case), the tomato/mozzarella crap was served as a starter and it is served on any time of the day except breakfast. So you can have this as brunch, lunch or dinner. So my OH had this on every single flight, up to 4 times in 3 days.

It's nearly as crap as the bread offered with the butter when ordering a panino...
Old Oct 2, 17, 11:39 am

Yes. Many routes are in the short band, and even on long flights (TLL in our case), the tomato/mozzarella crap was served as a starter and it is served on any time of the day except breakfast. So you can have this as brunch, lunch or dinner. So my OH had this on every single flight, up to 4 times in 3 days.

It's nearly as crap as the bread offered with the butter when ordering a panino...
Darling - food is so subjective. Let's not forget that this starter needs rich Buffalo Mozzarella not that bland cow stuff and tomatoes are so notoriously under-ripe. I quite like it (more than beetroot really but I eat it nonetheless.

Does OH mean Other Half? Sorry if that's a silly question.
Old Oct 2, 17, 12:49 pm

Darling - food is so subjective. Let's not forget that this starter needs rich Buffalo Mozzarella not that bland cow stuff and tomatoes are so notoriously under-ripe. I quite like it (more than beetroot really but I eat it nonetheless.

Does OH mean Other Half? Sorry if that's a silly question.
It is not about what food is offered, it is about the total lack of variation! It can't be that someone who is flying BSL-LHR-MAN (for example) and back on the next day has to eat 4 times the same thing (for 7 months straight).

No one I know is eating the same thing all over again - several times a day.
Old Oct 2, 17, 12:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It is not about what food is offered, it is about the total lack of variation! It can't be that someone who is flying BSL-LHR-MAN (for example) and back on the next day has to eat 4 times the same thing (for 7 months straight).

No one I know is eating the same thing all over again - several times a day.
Has the vegetarian option not changed at all since the new catering was introduced?
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Cool

Thinking it would be interesting to try the Kosher meal on my CPH-LHR and return flights that are part of my trip to Thanksgiving in Texas (November). I discovered that there is no Kosher meal offered CPH-LHR though most other special meals are an option. On the return I can select Kosher.

Curious if this is because of where the flight is departing from or because the airplane has probably spent the night in CPH as I depart at 0705. The return flight is mid-afternoon and departing LHR.

Thanks

Old Oct 2, 17, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Has the vegetarian option not changed at all since the new catering was introduced?
No. We have had the tomato/mozzarella on all flights to/from Switzerland and Domestics and the TLL (long) as a starter in May, June, July, August and September. Now changed to other special meals, but saw this loaded last week too on our flight for another pax.
Old Oct 2, 17, 2:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas View Post
Thinking it would be interesting to try the Kosher meal on my CPH-LHR and return flights that are part of my trip to Thanksgiving in Texas (November). I discovered that there is no Kosher meal offered CPH-LHR though most other special meals are an option. On the return I can select Kosher.

Curious if this is because of where the flight is departing from or because the airplane has probably spent the night in CPH as I depart at 0705. The return flight is mid-afternoon and departing LHR.

Thanks

same ex-ARN for some reason. I don't like the usual breakfast so if anyone has any idea about other breakfast options I'd certainly be interested to know (Asian Veg, Muslim, no gluten etc).

Search this Thread