Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The current afternoon tea is probably the worst 'meal' offered in CE. I wish it would be enhanced away altogether. The Ploughmans is good, but sometimes only ONE is loaded. I refuse the sandwiches, they're not for me.
Just be careful what you write as that could be interpreted as you wishing for no meal on afternoon flights! I presume you'd rather it was lunch followed by dinner, or just a ubiquitous 'light meal'.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The current afternoon tea is probably the worst 'meal' offered in CE. I wish it would be enhanced away altogether. The Ploughmans is good, but sometimes only ONE is loaded. I refuse the sandwiches, they're not for me.
i'd like to agree but the ploughmans reminded me of the late and (by me at least) unlamented extended breakfast, scotch egg excepted.

I've personally given up expecting anything reasonable on the medium routes and just refuse the food. I only perservere with Club because I get a guaranteed free seat next to me and the free booze.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
LGW-BCN yesterday. Dinner options were either a 'chicken salad' or a HAM AND CHEESE TOAST? sorry for the rant...but seriously? ham and cheese toast? When i first saw it i thought its for 2 kids that were seating behind me but then i realise its one of the options! i had the chicken salad. The quantity was more like a starter on A3 flights.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
My personal suggested 'tweaking' would still be that medium band should get, say, only the main dish from the long menu plus a small fruit cup or dessert pot as all day. That way, domestic and short would get the hot sandwich/salad option, medium would get hot dish and dessert pot, long would get the full meal with starter, choice of main, cheese, and dessert. I think that would be a more balanced progression between bands.
Originally Posted by volar
I fully agree with this. The meals on the medium band (Barcelona, Madrid etc) have seen a significant downgrade with the new catering - perhaps if as stated above the decision maker responsible at BA reads Flyertalk, they could take note of the many comments on this specific point.
I would also agree with this, in addition to being a single tray, single service meal, I would also compromise away the pre drink service if timekeeping on the shorter mediums was considered a blocker here. The advantage to BA would be to reduce the complexity of the medium service to just "breakfast" and "rest of the day". If BA were to do this, a lot of the criticism of the CE changes would go away.
orbitmic, Calchas and volar like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
LGW-BCN yesterday. Dinner options were either a 'chicken salad' or a HAM AND CHEESE TOAST? sorry for the rant...but seriously? ham and cheese toast? When i first saw it i thought its for 2 kids that were seating behind me but then i realise its one of the options! i had the chicken salad. The quantity was more like a starter on A3 flights.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would also agree with this, in addition to being a single tray, single service meal, I would also compromise away the pre drink service if timekeeping on the shorter mediums was considered a blocker here. The advantage to BA would be to reduce the complexity of the medium service to just "breakfast" and "rest of the day". If BA were to do this, a lot of the criticism of the CE changes would go away.
Yes, that would seem to be the commonly held view. Other changes to the long and short routes are (in my view) largely positive, if BA could just improve the medium routes a bit (or put them back to what they had before) they would have a lot more happy CE customers. Cheese toastie for 'dinner' on a 2hrs+ flight is just not acceptable.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
0950 departure to PRG do they still serve breakfast in CE at this time? I hope not!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
0950 departure to PRG do they still serve breakfast in CE at this time? I hope not!
No, it's brunch. More details in post 1.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
MAD used to be Band 3 and the crew had time to do a drinks run followed by a hot meal or salad with warm element on that.

This is pure cost cutting.
choosethedrew and volar like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
No, it's brunch. More details in post 1.
Thank you
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sure, if the pre-meal drinks are the issue, single service would be fine and one can always request an extra drink when trays are taken away later! ^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've done quite a few CE sectors recently and am getting fed up with this silly chicken on chicken with more chicken salad. I'm sure it's not actually been around that long, but because I've had it so often it seems like it's the only CE meal around. Maybe they could diversify a bit- maybe add a chicken wing and a piece of fried chicken. You could even have a China theme and a chicken's foot.

Any idea when the next rotation of meals is? Maybe they can do a beef with beef mince and more beef salad. Will make a nice change.

Next time I might have to go with the microwave pizza instead #premiummyarse
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:37 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I think if they actually unpacked the sandwiches and put them on the plate for you, that would go a long way in making it look a bit better.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
I think if they actually unpacked the sandwiches and put them on the plate for you, that would go a long way in making it look a bit better.
On my CE flight, the sandwiches were not wrapped in plastic. The plates had the plastic cover on it, which the crew removed before serving the tray.
I can't remember whether the Victoria Sponge also had this plastic cover, but in any case, nothing on the tray was wrapped in plastic.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
So I'm on the 2000 MAN LHR on Friday is the special meal in CE still tomato and mozzarella and what am I likely to get otherwise,.. it's so confusing reading this thread,
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
On my CE flight, the sandwiches were not wrapped in plastic. The plates had the plastic cover on it, which the crew removed before serving the tray.
I can't remember whether the Victoria Sponge also had this plastic cover, but in any case, nothing on the tray was wrapped in plastic.
That's indeed the norm on LHR services, with plastic clear covers removed before serving. For the sandwiches, LGW does it slightly differently (and they have a different catering provider) in that a sandwich pack is provided, similar to the one that went on longhaul services (and before that, the domestic offering with the ubiquitous Breakaway bar).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.