Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bmused55
I'm due to be on the BA 767 flight from EDI to LHR on August 28th, departing just before 7AM. The itinerary tells me it's a club europe seat. Should I expect a hot meal?
Yes, hot English Breakfast or its vegetarian equivalent. The wiki will help you find some photos (and the Chef's Chat links will be largely correct since breakfast isn't subject to Rotations).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kwisstan
I agree. I had the coronation chicken with chicken. More salad would be better in place of the dry chicken. Does the extra grilled chicken replace the prawn, or is it another variation.
Yes slightly odd, but rather than replace the non-coronation chicken part of the coronation chicken, they should simply add some more salad to the plate.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Mostly there are two. Since the wonderful AA meal tray consists of a salad with some gloopy sickly sweet dressing, a main which is (in my case) hit or miss, and a bit of sweet. This all comes on one tray most of the time. The service is far less complex.

What is surprising - most surprising indeed - is that in spite of everything that I read here, CE seems to be doing extremely well in terms of numbers. In terms of yield I would not like to say as I have no facts, but coming down to ALC there other night, there were 36 in CE. That is a big cabin for 2 to handle.
Actually, in my experience, 3 in such circumstances does not help as there is one aisle and people would be in each other's way. FWIW, I think that the new service is excellent on both Long and Medium.
Interesting that you should say that. Having vowed to go on price alone on my regular LHR-VIE rotations, and therefore using OS rather than BA if they are cheaper, my last three trips have been on BA, precisely because their CE fares were significantly cheaper than OS.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Interesting that you should say that. Having vowed to go on price alone on my regular LHR-VIE rotations, and therefore using OS rather than BA if they are cheaper, my last three trips have been on BA, precisely because their CE fares were significantly cheaper than OS.
Yes, that is interesting. I noticed that the same applies to IST - which along with TLL have to be the cheapest CE fares going for such a distance. Just out of curiosity I went to look at THY and was seriously shocked at the difference. Flying the famous 777 service in October and then back a week later cost Ł700+. It was possible to do this for half that but that was a real eye-opener. I shall not be flying them except domestically any time soon.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sts603
That's an over simplification. You have the full beverage run with warm nuts in advance and on many flights a separate run with warm cookies afterwards. The fact you don't like the salad dressing and some mains is irrelevant to the fact that they get more done.
I was merely repeating my observations of about 14 flights this year in Domestic F. I cannot recall one where there was only one person. There always seemed to be two. The beverage run is hardly complicated. They do not even carry full bottle of "bubbles" as they put it. They do not hand out menus. The main meal comes out in one hand out all on one tray with offers of bread, and either red or white wine. Only one not two. The service They hand out those greasy lumps that they call cookies on a saucer. As you say that always used to be done by one person. When there are 20 or more in CE, an extra cabin crew member flies.

BA may be better with formality and polish but the regimented British mentality of service generally leads to less flexibility to get a complex service done quickly - and that's why I think we are seeing reports of incredibly slow service on the CE long flights and why many FAs struggle with CW service.
Frankly I'd like to see any carrier not struggle with that load. When you have 36 people in CE and you have a lot of things to deliver, it takes time. I am sure that with time this will improve but I saw all of this happen on a 1 hour 40 minute service to ALC. They finished with probably 20 minutes to spare. They were all British with , presumably, your assertion of "mentality of service" (whatever that is meant to mean) - although what that has to do with the price of fish I am unsure.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
BA861 PRG-LHR 1715 Departure - 'definitely' worth going club...??? Are the offerings getting less...? This was literally it aside from drink of course. I thought CE was getting improvements?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Flew back up to NCL from LHR tonight, was pleasantly surprised by the delicious chicken and potato salad plus the equally good cheesecake. Was going to go for the panini but glad I swerved it after seeing the drab offering that the chap in front got served.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by theox
BA861 PRG-LHR 1715 Departure - 'definitely' worth going club...??? Are the offerings getting less...? This was literally it aside from drink of course. I thought CE was getting improvements?
PRG is one of the big losers from the 'improvements' unfortunately (along with CPH, OSL, MAD, VIE, amongst others).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
PRG is one of the big losers from the 'improvements' unfortunately (along with CPH, OSL, MAD, VIE, amongst others).
Assume TLS is in the same boat from the panini my other half was served last week. Yet the meal on a GLA-LCY I had (pleasant lounge beep UG ^) was far superior for a similar duration flight - seems a bit random!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
and NCE!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Ex-LGW, 'long' band CE breakfast flight, (big-bottle) champagne ran out after the first glass.

"They don't load as many bottles anymore"

Happy days.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:04 am

LHR-GOT Medium route

Taco-Bell-like sandwich for dinner. Offered more bread with the bread...

Ugh...
Attached Images  
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
The low fat meal above looks good - do special meals work on a rotational basis as per the regular ones?
What route was that meal on?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Ex-LGW, 'long' band CE breakfast flight, (big-bottle) champagne ran out after the first glass.

"They don't load as many bottles anymore"

Happy days.
On the way down to MAD on the 0620 767 departure on Saturday morning I overheard the crew in the galley saying that this was the only bottle of champers as they loaded up the drinks trolley.

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
LHR-GOT Medium route

Taco-Bell-like sandwich for dinner. Offered more bread with the bread...

Ugh...
I found it rather odd on my flight last night in which it was that or the chicken salad, that the passnegers that went with the panini were offered bread, but us chicken salad types were not?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
I had the Coronation Chicken Salad on my MUC-LHR flight earlier this week. I just don't understand it.

Coronation chicken, more (extra dry) grilled chicken, a couple of whisps of frisee lettuce, and one cherry tomato cut in half.

If they're going to call it a salad, make it a salad. More salad and ditch the extra dry grilled chicken.

It was weird!
I had this last night - really bizarre. The crew member quipped 'I hope you really like chicken'.

Dessert was tasty though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.