Club Europe catering guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 18, 8:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 27, 17, 11:26 am

The reds were a Pez de Rio Merlot
and a La Cacciatora Syrah.
The whites were a Pez de Rio Sauvignon Blanc and a La Musa Pinot Grigio.

I can't find the 4th one, but the other 3 are £3-5ea from various online retailers.
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: Honors Lifetime Diamond, BAEC Gold
Just off a flight from Turin; used to be band 2 with hot dinners and lunches. No more; cabin crew confirmed only a panini or salad for lunch and dinner. Afternoon tea (which I hated) now comes without the Scone, but all else the same. Veggie option on the right and meat option (afternoon tea) to the left. Quite disappointed. At least golds can have a meal in the F lounge beforehand if leaving lgw, but little to eat in the Piemonte lounge in Turin. The panini is what I used to get on intra-European flights long ago in Y. Cc wondered how long this change will last. Really disappointing, and TRN is one of those band 2s now getting worse quality, despite club being often sold out.
Attached Images   
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by dave10 View Post
Just off a flight from Turin; used to be band 2 with hot dinners and lunches. No more; cabin crew confirmed only a panini or salad for lunch and dinner. Afternoon tea (which I hated) now comes without the Scone, but all else the same. Veggie option on the right and meat option (afternoon tea) to the left. Quite disappointed. At least golds can have a meal in the F lounge beforehand if leaving lgw, but little to eat in the Piemonte lounge in Turin. The panini is what I used to get on intra-European flights long ago in Y. Cc wondered how long this change will last. Really disappointing, and TRN is one of those band 2s now getting worse quality, despite club being often sold out.
What a sad joke of a meal in a premium cabin. Absolutely ridiculous
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by dave10 View Post
Those sandwiches and fruit plates look like North Korea or something, as if they are trying to starve you.

Has BA gone communist?
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by gordon0808 View Post
What a sad joke of a meal in a premium cabin. Absolutely ridiculous

Agreed - and a few short years ago I would have sent that back as unacceptable in economy. Disgraceful
Old Mar 27, 17, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Are the plastic lids being thrown away? There was at least two ranging from the 5" or so plate to the 8-10" dish with my meat and cheese.
Seems a lot more waste if they are.
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Those sandwiches and fruit plates look like North Korea or something, as if they are trying to starve you.

Has BA gone communist?
Hehe, I couldn't resist having a look!

http://www.airlinemeals.net/photos/a...-aug-2014/902e
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Club Europe is now the contents of the old All Day Deli that graced the economy cabins ~10 years ago.

The portion sizes are very poor, particularly on anything over the *very* short flights. As with the Eurostar Standard Premier offering, it's barely a meal and not substantive enough to advertise it as such. Even with bread, it's not enough after a long day, then heading straight to travel home and this being the only reasonable opportunity to eat.

Granted, short flights benefit from a prettier breakfast and the option of "something other than salad" but the medium flights have become incredibly poor value.

On flights not long enough to do a multi-course serving ala Club World (as nice as that may be), can't they serve a hot meal (like breakfast) at other times of day all on one tray?
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Ploughman's
Attached Images  

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 28, 17 at 12:58 am Reason: reduce image size
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Lioneye View Post
Agreed - and a few short years ago I would have sent that back as unacceptable in economy. Disgraceful
The sandwiches look a bit small for those plates don't they?

Doesn't look at all appetizing I'm afraid. Remind me, is this supposed to be an improvement? Fruit plate looks nice though - shame they've been removed from the breakfast trays.
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
band 2 did not get hot meal at lunch or dinner, it got a salad

Was Turin band 3 that has moved to medium?
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Paying extra for Club Europe and receiving a parsimonious amount of food for your flight is going to really annoy people.

3 finger sandwiches and a small piece of cake when you can pay hundreds of Euro more isn't going to sit well I wouldn't think.
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Had a hot veggie breakfast in CE to ARN today. Barely edible as usual. My neighbour had full English and they had made sure that the poor pig was properly dead and cremated...

Tray too small for plates, but what bothered me were the new service standards...

1) Club World coffee cups (too tall?). Not on the tray anymore, so each time somebody wanted coffee one purser had to dash to galley to get one. Interrupted service flow.

2) Whole bottles of champagne rather than minis. If you ask for a mimosa, you get a small (standard CE) glass. By the time they had reached row 3, guy in row 1 already drained his and wanted refill.

3) Hot breakfast came approx 15 mins after trays, pastries etc came out, that no had been in oven too long as well. Take it this is a new routine rather than doing all in one go?

When I went for the bathroom , the CSD proactively sought me out and asked me what I thought. Told him some of the points above and he agreed. First time they used them today, but he followed them exactly he said. The whole flow just seems unnatural to me. Or am I alone in thinking so?
Old Mar 27, 17, 12:54 pm

I had noticed the Président butter too before It was raised by Pucci.

I guess it's because Do&Co cater these meals. They obviously don't source special butter for BA.

Leaving aside the butter's Frenchness, my issue is that it is unsalted butter. I think most British BA travellers might expect it to be salted.
Old Mar 27, 17, 1:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
Original Poster

Photos as promised

BA0799 HEL-LHR, Dinner service

Starter: Prawn and melon salad

Main: Cod with wasabi mash and vegetable medley

Dessert and cheese

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I will start with this, a report of sorts, as my expectations were near rock bottom when I boarded today's 799, my mood not helped by a thoroughly and quite unexpectedly tedious flight connection; the NoRRA to Speedbird experience was decidedly suboptimal, plus the pictures I viewed earlier today of that puffy, presumably hot, yet decidedly comically un-premium panini lingered in my back of my mind.

As it transpired, I was afforded not only a casual snapshot but in truth an entire sector of premiumness or as BBB would say, short haul shining. The dour waterside joy eradication machine perhaps missed a spot. Allow me to elaborate... (pardon the semi live format)

BA799 HEL-LHR CE
14 pax. Catering wise, this one is categorised as a long flight. Previously Band 3.

Okay, we'll start with a couple of service blunders - no menus, no hot towels but what we do have are two enthusiastic crew members (SCCM plus CCM). No haste is getting in the way of the drinks run. Dinner has been cleared, and there's just a couple of sips of Castelnau to go, my second, with 3 passes between Helsinki and Kiel, I am pacing myself. (Quick edit over Southend - I've been strong armed into my third

Okay enough of the preamble and onto the service. From the top...

Tomato juice, spice, slice n ice
Out of Africa nut mix

Orders for dinner were then taken: this evening its cod or chicken. It was stew n mash on the way out but that was with another airline.

The tray arrives. There is a melon and prawn starter. Its nicely presented. Tastes light and is refreshing the palette. We're off to a good start

Stilton, relish and oatcakes sit to the side, they're on standby till after the main is cleared. Same goes for the chocolate espresso bean dessert with cappuccino mouse honeycomb crunch

Photos will follow, once I get back to Barnes. I'm on the north runway presently.

Starter cleared, charger exposed, main lands. It's Cod alright with a wasabi mash plus a medley of beans, courgette, carrot baby corn slices. Actually it's pretty tasty.

Search this Thread