Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Can we please stop slagging off the afternoon tea. If I am in CE, then afternoon tea is the only meal service on BA that I always have. I like it.

Doc Copper
You might. We don't. Three tiny sandwiches, and a couple of scones with a lump of what thinks it's cake is not a meal - and afternoon tea is meant to be a meal. It may pass for a delicacy in the Public Schools in the UK, but it is not even worthy of being called a snack.

As Him Indoors says (and thank God it is not often served on our flights) two burps and the "meal" is gone.
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You might. We don't. Three tiny sandwiches, and a couple of scones with a lump of what thinks it's cake is not a meal - and afternoon tea is meant to be a meal. It may pass for a delicacy in the Public Schools in the UK, but it is not even worthy of being called a snack.

As Him Indoors says (and thank God it is not often served on our flights) two burps and the "meal" is gone.
What PUCCI says!! ^

PS: it is somewhat a shame that none of us is in a position to honour PUCCI the way she honours us, or else, someone with more power than me ought to confer upon her a MUCCI GUEVARA of the Afternoon Tea Revolution!

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 24, 2018 at 3:47 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by AStarr

BLL-LHR, BA805 11.15-12.10

Kosher brunch (again). Different recipe, much less salty smoked salmon with quinoa, dried cranberries, and herbs. Sesame seeded challah was actually soft this time around. Dessert was custard-like in top with a seasoned apple puree something in the bottom. All in all, delicious.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This looks fantastic - any chance they serve the same for breakfast? I'd take that over a soggy full English any day!

So my hopes of getting the above for breakfast and avoiding something eggy were thoroughly dashed this morning on OTP-LHR. This was the kosher breakfast (note: veg sausage as it was a ‘milky’ dish). The bagel was actually the worst I’ve ever tasted - v disappointed no salmon and challah!

Last edited by Ldnn1; Aug 24, 2018 at 4:45 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
My dear Pucci, tea (as opposed to high tea) is intended to fill the gap between lunch and dinner. BA's version of tea offering three delicately cut finger sandwiches plus a slice of the Dundee-style fruit cake is perfect.

Doc Copper
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My dear Pucci, tea (as opposed to high tea) is intended to fill the gap between lunch and dinner. BA's version of tea offering three delicately cut finger sandwiches plus a slice of the Dundee-style fruit cake is perfect.

Doc Copper
But that's the thing: how do you "fill the gap" between two meals on a medium flight inbound when you need to arrive at the airport at 3pm for a flight leaveing at 16.30 which arrives into LHR at 20.00 and you likely to arrive home (or to your hotel or whatever) around 21.00-21.30? I don't care that much when it's on LHR-MAN (as long as it avoids the nasty current offering) but I do care when I'm on "medium" which make the majority of my European flights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I really hope LHR-ARN manages to keep the full afternoon/'rest of the day' service post-September, as repetitive as the menu may be it's still quite nice to get a 3 course meal on a 3 hour flight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Prospero
Medium
  • Special meals are available
  • Wine is served in full sized bottles
  • Champagne is served in full size bottles
Having just been presented with one of the smallest glasses of wine ever served to me on plane, could I suggest the text be amended to say "...is served from full sized bottles" @:-)
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
A tale of two Ploughman's Lunches...

I do my best to avoid Medium routes during afternoon tea service, but when I do, the Ploughman's is my usual choice (a few special meal experiments aside) to avoid the sandwiches. I've generally found it to be reasonably decent, if repetitive when it's the only thing you want to have on such flights. However, I hadn't had one on an LGW route until recently. Below are the last two Ploughman's I had on BA, both on Medium routes. The top one was an LHR route and was quite palatable, the lower one was from LGW (several weeks later). It looked cheap and pallid to me, and didn't taste as good as it looked...

Is the LHR version still like the top picture, or has it been enhanced to the rather unpleasant (to me) LGW version? The LGW flight was operated by Titan, but my understanding is that the catering ex-LGW is provided by the same caterers as for BA's own metal?

LHR Ploughman's

LGW Ploughman's
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Is the LHR version still like the top picture, or has it been enhanced to the rather unpleasant (to me) LGW version?
Here's a photo of mine from just under 2 weeks ago (LHR-AMS).
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30077382-post2640.html
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
But that's the thing: how do you "fill the gap" between two meals on a medium flight inbound when you need to arrive at the airport at 3pm for a flight leaveing at 16.30 which arrives into LHR at 20.00 and you likely to arrive home (or to your hotel or whatever) around 21.00-21.30? I don't care that much when it's on LHR-MAN (as long as it avoids the nasty current offering) but I do care when I'm on "medium" which make the majority of my European flights.
Orbitmic, in your example you'd have enough time to grab a bite to eat in the airport lounge to stave off 'hunger' during the flight. One can then eat something on arrival at either home or hotel. It really is a first-world problem.

Doc Copper
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Orbitmic, in your example you'd have enough time to grab a bite to eat in the airport lounge to stave off 'hunger' during the flight. One can then eat something on arrival at either home or hotel. It really is a first-world problem.

Doc Copper
Surely the point is around choice though in a business class cabin. BA could for instance offer afternoon tea and another option (such as a salad) during “tea time” rather than just tea.

I do sometimes like an afternoon tea but I do totally get the point it’s not really a meal substitute.

I hope they bring the cold cuts breakfast option back!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Doc Copper
Except that from outstations - as per my example - some do not have any lounge access at all, and many of the others will only give you peanuts, cookies or the likes. It's true that if you go from, say, MAD, you'll have fine lounge offerings, but in many other cases that will simply not be the case at all.

PS: and sure, all airplane food is a first world problem, but at that rate one could argue in favour of just serving free tap water and no food or other drinks in C. Ultimately, business class is still supposed to bring "some" privilege which by definition will be first world privilege as the offer addresses a tiny segment of the population.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 24, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Except that from outstations - as per my example - some do not have any lounge access at all, and many of the others will only give you peanuts, cookies or the likes. It's true that if you go from, say, MAD, you'll have fine lounge offerings, but in many other cases that will simply not be the case at all.
I accept the fact that some out-stations do not have lounge access for eligible BA pax, but these are relatively few in number. On the other-hand if one uses these non-lounge out-stations a lot then this magnifies the issue. But there are very few non-lounge airports that do not offer some sort of catering air-side.

Doc Copper
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
@Ldnn1 you only get the fish on afternoon medium flights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz
@Ldnn1 you only get the fish on afternoon medium flights.
@AStarr indicated he'd had it for brunch though which is why I was semi-hopeful for breakfast. Alas not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.