FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe catering guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1831879-club-europe-catering-guide.html)

Doccykins Oct 3, 2017 10:56 am

VCE-LGW 1755 02OCT

OpUp to 1A, No menu but was offered nuts with first drink pass and first choice of Salmon Salad with Dijon Mustard or Ham and Cheese toastie (later referred to as a Croque Monsieur to passengers behind me trying to establish what a toastie was)

[Apologies for lack of photo, I am not a photo taker of food or self-at-thing person]

6 rows and at CE capacity, bird was an ex-BMI A319 so no divider but headrest cloths in CE to distinguish. Kept an ear out but sounded like there was enough to cater for all, though possibly not first choice nearer the back of the cabin (he says guiltily)

Interestingly caught the tactic of referring to the food offering as 'Salmon Salad or Cheese and Ham Toastie' to the port side of the plane and 'Cheese and Ham Toastie or Salmon Salad' to the starboard side. Not sure if this was the CSM's personal style or a strategy to keep the selection numbers equal-ish as most people, myself included, took up the first option offered to them. Something for the armchair psychologists or am I overthinking things? :)

Champagne (large bottle of Castlenau x 3 popped at least during the flight) topped up every pass by the delightful CSM, also had a cup of tea in the new mugs which was very welcome after a long weekend on the continent without a proper cuppa. Offered a plastic roadie for landing which I dutifully accepted after being told there was half a bottle still to get through just as the captain announced 15 minutes to go.

Impressed, though slightly sad that champagne and fancy cutlery/napkin aside this was pretty much the ET service a few years ago before the reduction to snack-and-gin and before the woeful BoB state we are in now

kosy91 Oct 3, 2017 1:36 pm

Im flying LBA-LHR (Dep:0930) and LHR-BRU (Dep 1620) in two days' time.

What can I expect in terms of food? I've ordered an Asian Veg (AVML)

I've looked through the past 10 pages, my expectation are really low. I anyhow want to avoid that two pieces of mozzarella and tomato salad with one tiny rocket leaf!

angeloedades Oct 3, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28879754)
Oh I haven't seen that in a while now, angeloedades :rolleyes:. My OH has now switched to different meals to get some change. I think it is really poor of BA to keep the same meals for so long.

It is poor - usually I do not bother with ordering a special meal but seeing this thread made me do it!

It was okay but if I ordered the same meal again and got the exact same tray I would be :mad:

JustTheOne Oct 3, 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by kosy91 (Post 28889761)
Im flying LBA-LHR (Dep:0930) and LHR-BRU (Dep 1620) in two days' time.

What can I expect in terms of food? I've ordered an Asian Veg (AVML)

I've looked through the past 10 pages, my expectation are really low. I anyhow want to avoid that two pieces of mozzarella and tomato salad with one tiny rocket leaf!

AVML tends to be a lentil, tofu and couscous salad plate, which isn't too bad (well, you did say your expectations were low! :D), and a welcome break from the mozzarella and tomato dish. There's a picture of it in this post from a while back.

PUCCI GALORE Oct 4, 2017 3:08 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28885168)
It is not about what food is offered, it is about the total lack of variation! It can't be that someone who is flying BSL-LHR-MAN (for example) and back on the next day has to eat 4 times the same thing (for 7 months straight).

No one I know is eating the same thing all over again - several times a day.

No one I know is flying that much. Maybe they should have Special Meals for the I'm Bored As I Ate It Already 😉

kosy91 Oct 4, 2017 5:22 pm

@JustTheOne

Ah I wouldn't mind that. Let's see what I get. I will post something here

florens Oct 4, 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 28891867)
No one I know is flying that much. Maybe they should have Special Meals for the I'm Bored As I Ate It Already 😉

Ok, my post was quite unclear, because I drafted it badly. Apologies. What I meant was that this has been the meal for the last 7-odd months for someone flying this route. We haven't flown that much, thank god.

PUCCI GALORE Oct 5, 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28895562)
Ok, my post was quite unclear, because I drafted it badly. Apologies. What I meant was that this has been the meal for the last 7-odd months for someone flying this route. We haven't flown that much, thank god.

No apology needed Honey - now I get the drift - I'm just smiling a little ( not at your expense) that I know so many Menages or Families who year round eat the same thing on the same day every week. Monday it's cold rast, Tuesday it's Shepherd's Pie, Wednesday it's Rissoles - see what I mean? I really don't mind as long as I like what they are serving even if it is repetitious.

As I say, if I ran BA the catering would be reviewed much more often. However whatever is served you can guarantee that someone would go "ugh". I'd move the Long Band a little further in to incorporate the Big Cities that just miss out - and Afternoon Tea would become High Tea with a hot quiche or some such instead of those Now-We-Are -Five Sandwiches and I'd put honey on as an alternative to Strawberry Jam. It would cost so little and hey presto problem solved.

The trouble is we who serve the stuff know what people like - but hey ho what do we know.

aks120 Oct 7, 2017 12:35 am

1 Attachment(s)
It was chicken salad or beef and chilli panini. I went for the panini which was very average and had one jalapeņo chilli slice in it!

The cheesecake dessert looked like it had rolled around in the container for a bit!

Aks120

Genius1 Oct 7, 2017 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 28903225)
The cheesecake dessert looked like it had rolled around in the container for a bit!

And the crew left the plastic lid on :rolleyes:

I had the plastic lid left on both the cheese and the dessert coming back from ATH earlier this week. I handed the two lids straight back to the crew member.

KARFA Oct 7, 2017 12:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)
BA1345 - LBA-LHR
6 October

Why choose between salad and panini when you can have both :)

S_W_S Oct 7, 2017 1:12 pm

I was wondering what would be offered at the end of the month, is the offering the same on BA1343?

KARFA Oct 7, 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S (Post 28904844)
I was wondering what would be offered at the end of the month, is the offering the same on BA1343?

Yes, so there are a few similar things such as duck salad, chicken salad, beef panini, mozzarella and tomato panini, and chicken flatbread (probably a few other I can't remember too) so you will get a choice. Don't expect two though, I was lucky last night!

Genius1 Oct 7, 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S (Post 28904844)

A 14:30 departure means afternoon tea; three finger sandwiches or ploughman's salad, both with a slice of cake. The ploughman's also comes with a packaged slice of bread.

KARFA Oct 7, 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 28904855)
A 14:30 departure means afternoon tea; three finger sandwiches or ploughman's salad, both with a slice of cake. The ploughman's also comes with a packaged slice of bread.

Sorry, you are right. I forgot that would be afternoon tea. Thanks