Wiki Posts
Search

BA56 JNB-LHR A wonderful gesture

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LOTS
Smile BA56 JNB-LHR A wonderful gesture

We were returning from a special 4 week vacation around Cape Town which was a celebration of my wife Melanie's retirement after nearly 40 years service in the NHS caring for cardiac pacemake patients.

We were on an Amex241 in F on the 380.

One of the excellent MF CC asked me about the holiday & I mentioned the reason for the trip. About an hour prior to landing one of the female CC gave Mel a bottle of champagne & a letter thanking her for her service which was signed by THE WHOLE CREW!

As you may imagine she was completely blown away by this kind gesture. That apart both the service, food & wines were of an extremely high quality.

I have written to BA to express our sincere thanks.

I hope that you don't mind my sharing this good news story.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by fincastle84
No, not at all - it's a welcome bit of light relief amongst all of the doom and gloom on this forum!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC
We were returning from a special 4 week vacation around Cape Town which was a celebration of my wife Melanie's retirement after nearly 40 years service in the NHS caring for cardiac pacemake patients.

We were on an Amex241 in F on the 380.

One of the excellent MF CC asked me about the holiday & I mentioned the reason for the trip. About an hour prior to landing one of the female CC gave Mel a bottle of champagne & a letter thanking her for her service which was signed by THE WHOLE CREW!

As you may imagine she was completely blown away by this kind gesture. That apart both the service, food & wines were of an extremely high quality.

Sounds like a good crew and a positive experience.

Sadly you may have dropped the crew in it somewhat if you mentioned that they gave you a bottle of champagne to take with you though...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Sounds like a good crew and a positive experience.

Sadly you may have dropped the crew in it somewhat if you mentioned that they gave you a bottle of champagne to take with you though...
It wasn't the Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
Congratulations and thx to your wife for her dedication. I hope you both have a great retiement. Looks like you also had a good CC who collectively understand customer service and the ethos of the BA brand.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
But surely it was just an empty 'souvenir' bottle?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Thank you for sharing your story! We need more stories like this here. People are very quick to post about their negative experience, but too few people want to share good ones.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It's an excellent gesture by the CC, and the signed letter must have made it extra special
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
It doesn't matter which champagne it was, there was no duty paid on it because it was supposed to be served in the air. While the gesture is indeed nice, as mentioned you have dropped the crew in it completely, let's hope the disciplinary action isn't too harsh.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Airprox
It doesn't matter which champagne it was, there was no duty paid on it because it was supposed to be served in the air. While the gesture is indeed nice, as mentioned you have dropped the crew in it completely, let's hope the disciplinary action isn't too harsh.
As the flight was from outside the EU I thought no duty would be payable provided the OP had not exceeded their limit. If the OP had exceeded the limit the onus would be on them to pay the duty.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That is a nice story, well done to the crew.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:28 am

Lovely story.

Reminds me in part of my partner's first F trip. No special occasion other than his first F! I mentioned it to the Purser and although she was superb anyway, she was extra lovely to my partner, and at the end of the flight gave him a bottle of champagne to take away (from CW).

I sent a well done in, naming the purser. Didn't mention the champagne bit in case it got her into trouble. Would it really cause an issue?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Airprox
Jeez, give it a rest. Do you really think BA are going to start an investigation based on an anonymous post on Flyertalk that doesn't even mention a date?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Jeez, give it a rest. Do you really think BA are going to start an investigation based on an anonymous post on Flyertalk that doesn't even mention a date?
Unlikely, but OP did write to BA, so there's that...

Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

I'm starting to regret this posting. As DIKWYA states I doubt that BA will sweat over 1 bottle of champagne.

When I spoke with customer services this morning they were absolutely delighted with my call & remarked that it is extremely rare to receive anything other than complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.