Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Legitimate reasons to be kicked from row 1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR

Myself (gold) and a member of my family (silver) flew a CE sector recently, something that had been booked many months ago. We had 1A/C selected, right up until online checkin at which point we found ourselves inexplicably moved to row 4.

In a rather sparsely populated CE cabin, 1A/C/D ended up being occupied by 3 people who - it appeared - almost certainly had some connection with either the crew or someone in BA. (I'm assuming whoever was in 1D had been kicked as well).
- The CSM spent a large amount of free time talking to them in what looked like quite a familiar way - I overheard part of the conversation, and it was about different aircraft types, so might well have been "shop" talk.
- Before drink orders were taken, the CSM appeared from behind the curtain with a tray of pre-prep'd champagne for them, then disappeared to the cockpit to sort out something for the crew before returning to take orders from the other rows. They were kept well topped up throughout, with one of the group on his 3rd bottle 45 mins in.

Anyway, first world problem clearly, and pretty insignificant in the scheme of things, but it's annoying to be kicked out of premium pre-selected seats in this way. I might drop BA a note, but I guess I'd get some "operational reasons" flannel in reply.

Does anyone know what legitimate reasons do exist for kicking a GCH out of an obviously perfectly functional seat in favour of someone else?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:14 pm

A prem wanting that seat.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
In this situation, I would have waited until the forward toilet was occupied, then walked to the front, ostensibly waiting for the toilet and surreptitiously checked out the cabin information list which is usually attached to one of the front 'boxes' for status information.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It happens. My partner and I once had our exit row seats changed at the gate, and once on board found that the seats we had selected were now occupied by two off-duty BA crew. The subsequent complaint to BA brought the predictable response that our seats had been changed "for operational reasons" (although they did, at least, refund the seat selection fees).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:49 pm

Annoying but, as you rightly say, a first world issue.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:01 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pilou
Annoying but, as you rightly say, a first world issue.
As is pretty much everything discussed on this forum, so why bother mentioning it?
SK and frandrake like this.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

It's really not possible to know. It's just as possible that the aircraft changed to one where one or more of the front row seats was unserviceable for whatever reason. The short haul fleet are being cycled all the time, and it is more than possible the front row occupants were entirely unaware of your move and disappointment.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
I would have asked at the gate why I had been moved. I would also have asked for my champagne when others were being served!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
More like prima donnas. Just plain wrong.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
In this situation, I would have waited until the forward toilet was occupied, then walked to the front, ostensibly waiting for the toilet and surreptitiously checked out the cabin information list which is usually attached to one of the front 'boxes' for status information.
Useful info - thanks!

Originally Posted by andset1191
It's really not possible to know. It's just as possible that the aircraft changed to one where one or more of the front row seats was unserviceable for whatever reason. The short haul fleet are being cycled all the time, and it is more than possible the front row occupants were entirely unaware of your move and disappointment.
I could buy this if there wasn't such obvious special treatment and familiarity with the new occupants of row 1.

Originally Posted by cme17
I would have asked at the gate why I had been moved. I would also have asked for my champagne when others were being served!
At that point I didn't want to hold things up. They called priority, but only had one agent checking boarding passes.
Originally Posted by rapidex
If this is the answer, then fair enough. The group certainly looked a long way from "captains of industry" types, but I'll concede appearances can be deceptive nowadays. (It would be nice to know for sure to get rid of the annoying suspicion that it was staff/friends in those seats). As Golds/Silvers I guess we all supposedly get "Reservation Assurance" which might ultimately mean someone getting bumped off the flight so we can fly, so in some ways it seems hypocritical to moan/complain.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Definitely had BA contacts in my view, either in head office or with the crew on the flight. I once boarded a flight to find uniformed BA crew in my seat, and in the adjacent seat that a colleague ( also gold btw ) had booked as we had business to discuss before we went our separate ways. We were both told to stand by the door at the front of the aircraft until everyone was boarded, and then we were found seats, not together. This was in Club, and the whole row had been taken over by crew in uniform. Obviously more important that they sat together then paying golds.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by Wayland
the CSM appeared from behind the curtain with a tray of pre-prep'd champagne for them, then disappeared to the cockpit
Nothing like adding insult to injury.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Chang11
Nothing like adding insult to injury.
Yes although, playing devil's advocate, this additional round of drinks did not impact on the OP except in the Top Trump game of DYKWIA. Annoying as it is, I would try not to let such things spoil your flight, the easiest thing to have done was to just asked the CC in a friendly way.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by johnston21
More like prima donnas. Just plain wrong.
I was not suggesting it was correct behaviour.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, QF, BD, SQ, EY
A similar thing happened to my partner and I with SQ from BWN to SIN. I complained to the ground staff and also to the cabin crew. We were met at SIN by a an airline rep and both given inflight vouchers for S$400. Sometimes it pays to say something at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.