Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wanted - Idiots guide to 2-4-1 booking for Summer 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanted - Idiots guide to 2-4-1 booking for Summer 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks @gustavmahler - you mean just do an Avios F search for the flight on a regular basis then call when / if it appears?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
Thanks @gustavmahler - you mean just do an Avios F search for the flight on a regular basis then call when / if it appears?
Yeah - just a one way search for one person and it will then show you anything available.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:53 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
I've been reading that ExpertFlyer no longer gets a BA feed - is that correct?
No it is not: https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Great news on the outbound. In regard to EF, I don't tend to use it for Avios availability, probably because they didn't have it for years and it's just as easy to search on ba.com. Just do some dummy bookings. I hope it all works out.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
While I agree with all the advice here, Mrs.Rat and I just did something similar (LHR>YVR/SEA>LHR) and found the best thing if you really wanted the trip was to put it i the book and then keep poking at it until it's exactly what you want. This might incur one or two change fees, but when you've already spent >Ł1k on taxes and "fees" for your avois booking, a little more to get to perfection is usually worth it. For the really long rides like this, F is worth a couple of extra quid.

There are usually bits of availability that come in over the year: book at T-355 but there's often scope to improve
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:39 am

I've booked a 2-4-1 trip to Joberg. Can I add connecting flights with Comm Air to either CPT or VFA on the same booking, how do I do that? I'm concerned if I just book cash tickets they won't check my bags through. I presume I'm not the first person to want to do this given how tough CPT availability is to find!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky-rat
While I agree with all the advice here, Mrs.Rat and I just did something similar (LHR>YVR/SEA>LHR) and found the best thing if you really wanted the trip was to put it i the book and then keep poking at it until it's exactly what you want. This might incur one or two change fees, but when you've already spent >Ł1k on taxes and "fees" for your avois booking, a little more to get to perfection is usually worth it. For the really long rides like this, F is worth a couple of extra quid.

There are usually bits of availability that come in over the year: book at T-355 but there's often scope to improve
Thanks @sky-rat - I really would like F - it would be our first time. I'm a frequent J flyer on business but this is a one off holiday for us. So, just for clarity, keep looking at F avios availability?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
That's it exactly-- just keep on checking. When there's a booking I'm looking to improve I'll just make it a thing where if I need a minute's break between tasks at work or whatever, use that as a minute to recheck if anything's come up. It's manual and there's no way to set an alarm (not that I know of) but the recheck soon becomes habit and if it pops up then it's worth the bit of work. If I remember correctly, the last few times I played this game, the availability for a late spring or summer booking came up around Christmas/January, but of course that's no guarantee it'll happen same way again. If you've got something good enough (and J is good enough) then that's good...and improvement to F is gravy. Fair warning, though: once Mrs.Rat did her first F flight (which was also YVR, a decade ago) it's been difficult getting expectations back down again...

@Flying12345, there's threads on this, mostly negative. The last time I myself did that was many years ago (connecting to Windhoek) and they were still checking through back then, so cannot advise. But you're right, I'm sure you're not the first-- the only tip I can give is make sure you lock your suitcase if transiting JNB
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
The advantage of the ExpertFlyer strategy is that you can set an alert that will email you the moment F is available on the flight / date you want (you can set multiple alerts if you have multiple options).

I think that you stand more chance of timely notification that way than having to check it yourself at regular intervals.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pauldb
I believe it's midnight GMT, so it'll be 1pm during the summer.
I believe that it's 1 a.m.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Can anyone briefly explain this " 2 for 1" thing to a novice !! Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ATCOlad
Can anyone briefly explain this " 2 for 1" thing to a novice !! Thanks
Lots of information in the guide here which may help http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank folk for the advice - all booked up!

At T-355 01:00, full of Lanzarote gin, I booked the outbound to YVR in J. I've also taken a subscription to ExpertFlyer and set up an alert for F upgrade availability.

At return date-355 at 07:00 I checked for availability from YYC. Bingo - 2 seats in J. Called the call centre at 07:30 and was told that the flight from LHR-GLA wasn't available as that was the next day. However, they would put the seats on hold for me and I should call back the next day.

I wasn't entirely convinced how well that would work but it all went like clockwork. By lunchtime the following day it was booked, reticketed, avios adjusted and a pending transaction on my AMEX.

So, thanks team FT!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Flying12345
I've booked a 2-4-1 trip to Joberg. Can I add connecting flights with Comm Air to either CPT or VFA on the same booking, how do I do that? I'm concerned if I just book cash tickets they won't check my bags through. I presume I'm not the first person to want to do this given how tough CPT availability is to find!
2-4-1 have to be on BA metal(mainline) only and can't be used on Comair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.