Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 Security Fast Track Etiquette - Dressing at Belt / Placing Tray at the end

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 Security Fast Track Etiquette - Dressing at Belt / Placing Tray at the end

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Each to their own here.

I've no idea if I'm paying fees for staff to remove trays or what.

If it facilitates my getting through security in a timely matter, I hope some others will do the same and pick up their tray(s) putting them in the receptacle for re-distribution.

Nothing wrong with a bit of common courtesy although if it is the staff members' job to move them, it could well signal to them "why do we need to bother as someone else will do it?" and that's a common theme these days.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Exactly. That is what they are employed to do.
Without having seen their employment contracts, you can but speculate what they are employed to do. Just like I will speculate that encouraging pax to put their tray(s) in the stack is a move towards self-service that aims to cut down on how many staff they feel they need to employ. Some airport do not have staff before the scanners to manage the influx, so there is no standardised approach.

As for readiness by the time you reach the belt, having a bag/jacket with pockets helps. In fact, I usually get ready in the cab on the way anyway and, by the time I reach security, I only need to put away my phone that has the mobile boarding pass.

All in all, that is why I favour a PreCheck-style system they have in the US: you can keep some stuff on, things you normally take out of the bag can stay in and it has always been a much more pleasant experience than I ever had at T5.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
This is basic industrial engineering failure. You don't design a system that requires people to be courteous or go out of their way. You design a system that will be robust enough to handle people taking their stuff and walking away. That's the default case. The signs asking for you to move your own tray at the end are clearly a bandaid on a poorly thought through system.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
This is basic industrial engineering failure. You don't design a system that requires people to be courteous or go out of their way. You design a system that will be robust enough to handle people taking their stuff and walking away. That's the default case. The signs asking for you to move your own tray at the end are clearly a bandaid on a poorly thought through system.
Which begs the question why have everything in trays as opposed to just what needs to come out of bags/pockets? Backpacks and rollaboards can be moved forward manually on rollers until the belt swallows them into the scanner. But if people complain about putting away their own trays, some people would also complain about having to push their own stuff along as opposed to having it done for them by technology/people.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:37 am

Maybe having things in trays is a way of stopping things getting caught in the belt. disappearing inside the x-ray machine etc.? Probably won't happen at LHR but I have seen delays due to jam ups elsewhere.
Also, things get ripped off going around the luggage system so putting things in a tray hopefully keeps straps etc. out of the way.

My case quite often doesn't go in a tray but can't remember at LHR - will find out tomorrow morning.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:38 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by techie
Which begs the question why have everything in trays as opposed to just what needs to come out of bags/pockets?
I find that putting cases into trays save time overall, because I don't have to close up my case after removing my laptop and liquids and then re-open it afterwards. If anything falls out of my open case, it falls into the tray.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
My take is that although it's annoying when people don't remove their own tray or clog up the security area whilst getting dressed, is it really worth passive aggressive comments to other passengers?

I've had this happen several times and I find a quiet "sorry, excuse me" does the trick quite well. This neither riles up me nor the other person.

I say this because time and time again there are posts on this forum which seem to be borne from pent up aggressive, where someone has brooded over something for a while, or from their own passive aggressive comments. I go through life thinking most people are nice and make mistakes, stuff happens, move along with your life.

:-::-::-:
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Just for this bout of passive aggression from the OP, I shall duly respond in kind.

From now on I'll not only put my belt back on at the conveyor. I'll stretch, give a good yawn, and exclaim loudly about how I'm looking forward to a coffee in the flounge before doing so.

Then I'll take my laptop then slowly look through my bag considering each compartment for where to return it. Even though there's an obvious location I just took it from, I feel you should never rule out that there's a better option.

Next I'll ponder, whether to put my jacket back on, or keep it over my arm. Perhaps I'll put it on, and take it off a few times to check how it feels.

Then, I'll pick up my wallet, open it, check carefully everything I need is there. Open my passport, check it's all good. You never know! Right? Then, my keys.. What to do with them? Should I put them in my bag? I mean I won't be needing them for a while. But, well then every time I check my pockets they won't be there and I'll have a moment of panic.. Oh, decisions. This could take a few minutes to resolve.

Finally I'll close up the bag, pick it up and then ponder my next action for a good 30 seconds.

You know, there's a process involved here. It just got longer! :P
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:45 am

All very well, r00ty, but if you were in a rush to catch a connecting flight and had someone deliberately doing that in front of you, I'm sure you wouldn't be overly happy!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NFH
I find that putting cases into trays save time overall, because I don't have to close up my case after removing my laptop and liquids and then re-open it afterwards. If anything falls out of my open case, it falls into the tray.
But if stuff falls out then wouldn't you need to spend time picking it up and putting it into pockets/compartments where it fell from?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by xenole
All very well, r00ty, but if you were in a rush to catch a connecting flight and had someone deliberately doing that in front of you, I'm sure you wouldn't be overly happy!
OK. I'll only do it at south security. OK?

If you come in through south for a connecting flight. Then it's not my fault.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you FT

This has been a fun way to pass my lunch break !
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:06 am

Hi Deboyzoned, off topic but to reply to your question, too early for info on the 350, first flights in 2018? I am off to Toronto again in April (777 out, 787 wtp back) JT, PS congratulations on a classic BAEC thread!!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:11 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by techie
But if stuff falls out then wouldn't you need to spend time picking it up and putting it into pockets/compartments where it fell from?
No, nothing does fall out. But it's good to have the peace of mind that I won't lose anything while my opened case goes through the scanner. The only other way to get this peace of mind would be to close it and reopen it afterwards, which would take longer than using a tray.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by V10
Leaving aside any discussion about the nature of the stain on the trousers in question, it's actually a pertinent point.

A combination of the modern rat race and everyone's time being self-assessed to be of infinite value brings out the worst in people at airports.
Yes there's a much slower pace of life here...at least I left the bakers knowing more about stain removal so the wait wasn't in vain.

Unless I'm informed beforehand I always enter airport scanners with shoes and belt still on and only take them off when asked. If that holds someone up behind me then so be it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.