No LPGS in First

Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
No LPGS in First

After a fantastic flight down to GIG last Friday, our return in F last night was a bit of a shocker. Generally the service was lacklustre (40 minutes after wheels up before being offered a drink for example).

The real first world disappointment was that only one bottle of LPGS was left for a full F cabin. Apparently the inbound crew had raided the return stocked bar and it can't be replenished down route. Whilst this was annoying enough, the CSD was telling passengers that the Bolney English sparkling was just as good and was a proper champagne (it was being offered with "would you like some more champagne?). When it was pointed out that it wasn't and it shouldn't be offered as such he was incredibly defensive. I had actually tried it before and it's nice enough but it seemed wrong to me to pass off £26 a bottle sparkling wine as a far superior champagne.

All the more disappointing given the excellent outbound the previous week. Not our crews fault either, but poorly handled and overall a very lacklustre experience.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm a massive fan of Sussex sparking wines - but I've yet to find one that can match LPGS (my opinion only - I know it's subjective). Sorry for your poor experience however.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I would be disappointed if the LPGS was not available on a flight.

Would be interested to understand from one of the cabin crew of the policy regarding the using of return stock, especially as there are no stores outside London, apart from SIN, IIRC.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Indeed. There have been far more threads complaining that the bar was "closed", in order to protect return stock!
Makes a change to see what happens when the return stock is not protected.

2 sides to every wotsit..
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I would be disappointed if the LPGS was not available on a flight.

Would be interested to understand from one of the cabin crew of the policy regarding the using of return stock, especially as there are no stores outside London, apart from SIN, IIRC.
A good question! CC, on the outbound do you get into bother if you open up the 'return' drinks/stock?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

The complaints are down to one thing - BA being too cheap to load enough champagne for their *first* class passengers. That's pretty atrocious in my book.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
The complaints are down to one thing - BA being too cheap to load enough champagne for their *first* class passengers. That's pretty atrocious in my book.
I'll cut / paste the Skift Article again... Alex Cruz: If one particular day we don’t come up with an idea to reduce our costs, then we’re not doing our job.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Had a flight out of LOS with no LPGS left even for PDBs.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's not "first world disappointment" its damn annoying and should've been available, being used outbound is not good enough
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I too would be very disappointed if no LPGS. I wonder how many bottles are loaded for a return flight?
The English sparkling stuff is not a good substitute!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
I had this too on a flight back from Muscat recently (and the Sussex sparkling wine also ran out about 3 hours into the flight). CR reply was:

Thanks for getting in touch about the catering problems you experienced on your flight from Muscat to London Heathrow in our First cabin.

I completely understand why you’re disappointed there wasn't any Laurent Perrier Champagne loaded for the flight. As you're aware, we recently introduced Bolney Wine Estate’s Vintage Blanc de Blancs from the West Sussex based winery as a guest Sparkling Wine in First. This is being served on board for a six month period. Please be assured its introduction serves to compliment rather than replace the existing Laurent Perrier Grande Siecle and Jacquart Mosaique Rose NV on the Champagne and Sparkling Wine menu. However, I recognise it must have added to your frustration when the Bolney wine ran out too early in the flight. It's clear we've let you down and I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

British Airways took the coveted top spot of Best Overall Wine Cellar at the Business Traveller Cellars in the Sky 2016 Awards last month. The awards recognise the best business and first class wines served by airlines worldwide in the last year. We beat off stiff competition from Qantas and Qatar, and were also awarded a Silver medal for Business Class Champagne/sparkling wine too. So it's disappointing to hear the service on board your flight didn't match the standards we advertise.

To show you how much we appreciate your support, I’ve added 4,500 Avios to your Gold Executive Club account. Please accept them as an apology for the problems you experienced on board. Subject to availability, you can put your Avios towards future bookings or use them to upgrade your class of travel next time you fly with us. They can also be used for hotels and car hire. Please visit www.ba.com/executiveclub to find out more.
I’ve also sent the details of your email to our Catering team for internal feedback purposes, so when they analyse our service, they can use your comments to help them tailor any changes. I know they’ll definitely value your insight.

Thanks again for getting in touch with us, as your feedback is essential to help us improve our service. We value your support as a Gold member of our Executive Club, and we look forward to welcoming you on board again next week. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
The real first world disappointment was that only one bottle of LPGS was left for a full F cabin. Apparently the inbound crew had raided the return stocked bar and it can't be replenished down route.
I am pretty it can be replenished if BA chooses so. But considering their whole cost cutting crap, they choose to return cater and then not carry enough stock for both flights.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Unfortunately it's not just for First. I did a NAS-LHR a few weeks ago and having was a a bit surprised that no champagne was offered pre-departure.

Once airborne I asked for a a glass of the Castelnau Rosé only to be informed that there was not a single bottle of champagne on the flight as all had been consumed on the inbound. The lovely cabin crew member serving my side of the aircraft was quite apologetic and said I should write to complain. Just before disembarking, the CSD said the same.

Accordingly, I submitted some comments. I wish I hadn't bothered as the reply was a cut and paste job. I deleted it right away,

All in all a most 'disappointing experience (for other reasons too).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
was a proper champagne
Champagne is a protected Designation of Origin, it has to be grown and made in Champagne, so they shouldn't have offered wine and called it 'Champagne', it's chalk and cheese.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It seems rather inappropriate that the crew raided the return stock unless there was an extenuating circumstance.

It's not hugely uncommon for airlines to run out of something though. On my last JL flight they ran out of Salon (which I was not drinking) pretty early in the flight and royal blue tea (which I was drinking, not an inordinate quantity but there was someone else also drinking it) half way through the flight. I can hardly say that JL is cost-cutting. I can certainly see it being rather difficult to replenish the stock of Salon and royal blue tea deluxe down route, however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.