Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Agreed - I also go to the galley to ask for the temp to be turned down and have seen the 23-25C setting more often than not. On a long overnight flight the one thing I need most is to get some sleep. Trying to sleep in these temps is torture.
I'm not at all sure that 23c, let alone 25c, is acceptable in day time either. There will be an argument that 23c may be on the dial, the actual temperature is / feels lower, but when I've taken a gauge with me there is rarely a celsius in it.

It's probably where FT can have a role, not least because there are many cabin crew who are lurkers and it's good for this to have visibility.

One point though relates to Mixed Fleet - ladies until recently weren't allowed trousers (they are now, thankfully) and all genders are still not issued with knitwear, as if anyone even could think that important. WW and EF get jumpers (also LGW?). So the practical way to stay warm in flight isn't open to them.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One point though relates to Mixed Fleet - ladies until recently weren't allowed trousers (they are now, thankfully) and all genders are still not issued with knitwear, as if anyone even could think that important. WW and EF get jumpers (also LGW?). So the practical way to stay warm in flight isn't open to them.
The last time I came back from JNB, it was the second part of a trip back from SYD. I was in F, and (as I had warned the CC in advance) I was up at about 3 am to ask for my dinner after sleeping during the first part of the flight. I found the on-duty (male) CC sitting in the jumpseat by D1R reading a book, completely swaddled in a blanket - even though the F cabin was fairly warm. If even a bloke felt that cold, I have every sympathy for the ladies.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The last time I came back from JNB, it was the second part of a trip back from SYD. I was in F, and (as I had warned the CC in advance) I was up at about 3 am to ask for my dinner after sleeping during the first part of the flight. I found the on-duty (male) CC sitting in the jumpseat by D1R reading a book, completely swaddled in a blanket - even though the F cabin was fairly warm. If even a bloke felt that cold, I have every sympathy for the ladies.
Exactly my point. Get up off the seat and move around the cabin, checking on the passengers and thereby keeping warm. I’m sorry, but on a JNB they all get a break, which is the time for reading a book if they wish. Whilst they aren’t on a break, as far as I’m concerned, they shouldn’t be sitting by a cold door on a seat reading a book. Of course that’s going to make you feel cold. It might be my imagination, but I’ve seen BA crew wearing BA issues jumpers and cardigans, so why would BA only issue these to some of the crew and not others? I don’t understand that.

What BA cabin crew do not seem to realise is that by turning the temperatures up in the passenger area of the cabin, closing the curtains that divide the galley area with the passenger cabin, only allows the heat to build in the passenger cabin and not escape due to the curtains. So the passengers sleep in what feels like a sauna. This is on top of sleeping in a seat that’s full of warm electrics with no air vents. I’ve explained this to many of the cabin crew and it literally goes over the top of their heads.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Oh, in short, by the doors on the 747, including the emergency exits on UD 747s. They are so leaky I'm surprised they don't fall out. UD is naturally warmer than lower deck however. A380, as close to WTP as you dare. 787s row 7. 777s is a bit of a pig frankly, but essentially near door 2 can help. If all else fails, Chanel No.5, because it’s the truth.
Useful info - thank you CWS!

We will now all be fighting for these seat allocations, they will become the new UD 62 A/K...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by highexpectations
Get up off the seat and move around the cabin, checking on the passengers and thereby keeping warm. I’m sorry, but on a JNB they all get a break, which is the time for reading a book if they wish. Whilst they aren’t on a break, as far as I’m concerned, they shouldn’t be sitting by a cold door on a seat reading a book.
During that part of the flight, they absolutely should not be constantly moving about the cabin. Almost everyone wants to sleep.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
During that part of the flight, they absolutely should not be constantly moving about the cabin. Almost everyone wants to sleep.
I’m not talking about a mass stampede down the aisle every five minutes. It is possible to walk down an aisle with some delicacy once every 20 minutes or so without disturbing sleeping passengers. It would keep the blood moving, but more importantly keep them warm, without them having to crank the heating up and sweltering the passengers to death.

I run a customer orientated business and I would never have my customer facing staff, whilst on duty, sat in their chairs reading a book. While they’re on duty, they’re exactly that, on duty.
SW7London likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
When I first started flying F regularly, I built a theory after a few trips that the crew seemed very attentive with alcohol top-ups around meal service and then turned the temperature up, hoping you go to (and stay) asleep.

This isn't always the case, but it has been more often that not, especially on BA.

We are human, so I'd guess if you are working a long-haul, you would just want to get the service finished, have a sit down and chat with your colleagues, hoping not to be disturbed too often.

Nowadays, I ask for the temperature to be turned down.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
In my recent LAS-LHR (in Y!) it was roasting hot which I pointed out to a cc member. She said something about having to get to a certain height before it really kicked in, which I didn't really follow. While she was in the vicinity another cc came up and they spoke about the temperature too.

she came back later and asked what I thought of the temperature as it had started feeling cooler.

unfortunately it got much cooler later and was freezing !
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
When I first started flying F regularly, I built a theory after a few trips that the crew seemed very attentive with alcohol top-ups around meal service and then turned the temperature up, hoping you go to (and stay) asleep.

This isn't always the case, but it has been more often that not, especially on BA.

We are human, so I'd guess if you are working a long-haul, you would just want to get the service finished, have a sit down and chat with your colleagues, hoping not to be disturbed too often.

Nowadays, I ask for the temperature to be turned down.
I've heard this theory before, but all it does for me is keep me awake... I think it all
comes down to a substantial difference in temperature between the galley area and the area where the passengers sit. At times the warm temperatures make it a bit unbearable for me to work, but I'm pretty successful when asking the crew to keep the cabin cool.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:13 am

A similar thing on my flight back from MIA. Roasting in F (on a 747), but poor guy deadheading on the jumpseat by the door was absolutely frozen and wrapped in blankets. No easy way to square this circle I think.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A similar thing on my flight back from MIA. Roasting in F (on a 747), but poor guy deadheading on the jumpseat by the door was absolutely frozen and wrapped in blankets. No easy way to square this circle I think.
somehow every other airline under the sun seems to manage it... (slight exaggeration, I know, but statistically BA is far far more prone to this problem than other airlines I fly -- and I fly a log other airlines).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Coming back from SIN couple weeks ago woke up mid flight in F boiling. Went to galley and asked to be lowered, noticed it was on 24 (point something) and in half hour it was lovely and cool. This is a reoccurring theme for sure. Most pax had thrown off their duvets which should have been noticed by crew
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Have you ever considered that someone (ie another passenger) might want the temperature turned up and have a nice roasty environment to sleep in, rather than being cold throughout sleep?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
somehow every other airline under the sun seems to manage it... (slight exaggeration, I know, but statistically BA is far far more prone to this problem than other airlines I fly -- and I fly a log other airlines).
I'd agree BA is much more prone. I've done 31 F sectors on BA, nearly always hot. 43 on TG, almost never hot. 15 on EK, almost never hot.

I'd be interested to learn what the policy is for BA cabin crew and whether there is a policy to keep it hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.