Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA gold
I remember henkybaby's "crusade" from a few years ago. 2011 Holy Grail: lets get the cabin temperature down!

I wonder if part of the issue is the plane generally fly in a nose-up pitch, so heat drift from Y to F, seeking the highest point.

In my experience, Y can be cold on occasions (to the point of needing those flimsy thin blankets) but J and F can be uncomfortably warm/hot.

Still prefer it to be cold as at least I can do something about it.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I like a cool cabin especially for sleeping. If someone is too hot and just in a tshirt and shorts they can't take anything off can they! If someone is too cold put another layer on and use the blanket!

I have generally found over the last year or so that cabin temperatures on longhaul flights have improved.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Stez
I wonder if part of the issue is the plane generally fly in a nose-up pitch, so heat drift from Y to F, seeking the highest point.
Correct, and you can really feel it on take-off and when they start descend, esp. if it is a steep nose down descend.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:52 am

Another vote for the too hot as a rule camp. However I still see people using blankets when I am uncomfortably warm.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sometimes the older B744s take forever to cool down.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have never been on a cold BA flight ... I'm always too hot on flights.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never been on a hot one but then I am in control of the temperature.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I've been on maybe 5 BA longhaul flights in the past ten years where I felt the temperature was sufficiently cold in CW or F without having to request that the temperature be lowered. This includes last night's PHX-LHR where I actually wore the pajamas and was comfortable for the first time in recent memory. I was pleasantly surprised as it was 32C in PHX and yet the cabin temperature was cool. Often as soon as the food service is done the temperature heats up, but not last night.

The crew were really amazing overall, capturing every detail that they should have. There were a couple of early hiccups with the IFE and there were issues with the jetty upon arrival, but the crew handled those small issues efficiently.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:48 am

I was in F once on an A380 on a night flight and it was so uncomfortably hot. I asked a cabin crew member if the temperature could be turned down and she told me that it could not be changed and if I was hot I could go and stand in the nose by the staircase as it's cooler in there! Not really the solution I was after...
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
I just told by an excellent CC on the 747 UD to take off my joggers under the blanket and sleep in my boxers - she promised she wouldn't peek
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:39 pm

The 747 is notorious when it comes to temperature control. I think the thermostats are pretty temperamental. My guess is the grills covering them are choked with dust.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess...... I'm sure you are correct.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimo
The 747 is notorious when it comes to temperature control. I think the thermostats are pretty temperamental. My guess is the grills covering them are choked with dust.
On G-CIVF last night in Row 19 (86J) and nearly melted despite being frozen up until takeoff!

I also got the impression that the highest ventilation pressure was around where I was given the loud gush of air around the windows of row 19 but could be wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Skimo
And I believe the older 747s have problems with select zones within the plane. I was in the front cabin of WT and it was extremely hot. I asked the FAs on multiple times to turn the heat down. Never cooled down in my zone, but was practically freezing as I passed through WT+ on exiting.

PS did write to BA to complain and got just a canned answer, no compensation for an extremely uncomfortable 7 hour flight.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have never asked for the turndown service on BA in F as the cabin has been too hot. From DFW last year I was in shorts and still too warm.

Suspiciously the temperature is never an issue on day flights. Or on QR.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.