What about BA has surprised you?

Old Mar 11, 17, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
What about BA has surprised you?

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask this question (not necessarily for anything negative) as I was sitting in the T5 North lounge last night when I looked at the departures screen and saw BA was flying to Luanda. I wasn't aware they flew to Luanda so I was a bit surprised. I now see they fly there twice weekly, which was interesting to me.

So I was wondering: is there anything relating to BA that has surprised you?
Old Mar 11, 17, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Having a perfectly cooked rack of lamb in F a couple of weeks ago Was a bit apprehensive about orderiing red meat from previous experiences and I was very pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 11, 17, 4:58 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Since my regular commute went to MF a few more the ago, I've been surprised at the difference in service. CE with MF crew has consistently been excellent, after having some very poor experiences with EF in the proceeding few months.

Even more surprising given the strikes and their poor working conditions.
Old Mar 11, 17, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm a little reluctant to go over to the dark side, but I'm surprised that BA haven't invested in refreshing/refitting their whole longhaul fleet to bring it up to the standards of at least say the super-hi J 747 birds. Instead many ropey 777s and mid-J 747s knocking around with Rockwell Collins and/or tatty old seats.
Old Mar 11, 17, 7:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I am surprised that Alex Cruz didn't get any bonus for 2016
Old Mar 11, 17, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'm surprised they haven't gone bust because according to what you read on here noone flies them.
Old Mar 11, 17, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
I am surprised that Alex Cruz didn't get any bonus for 2016
Presumably Willie Walsh was inspired by Alex saying the need to find ways to save costs every day and he came up with the idea of a bonus enhancement.
Old Mar 11, 17, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I'm surprised they haven't gone bust because according to what you read on here noone flies them.
Selective reading...

Most of the complaints are that BA maximizes profits by cutting too much in way that degrades the product.

The flip side as often discussed is that the BA network for the LHR-centric, BAEC and corporate policy keeps people on BA even if they complain.

#AlternativeFactsBA
Old Mar 11, 17, 9:49 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAS/OWS, Accor Gold
I was surprised that my partner, a BA Gold Member, travelling alone on BA SIN-SYD had selected a seat in economy where the adjacent seat was empty during OLCI, but was moved by Bag Drop staff an hour later without being informed, to a row that was full of passengers...only to discover this at the lounge where staff couldn't change it back, and furthur discover once onboard that her originally selected seat and the one next to it remained empty!

Mind you, hopefully she's learnt her lesson and will do as I did next time, i.e. paid extra to fly SQ (despite also being BA Gold).
Old Mar 11, 17, 10:12 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I can only admit to this on FT. My holiday to Europe in October requires some shuttling around Europe and I needed to get from Bilbao to Madrid - about 40 minutes the last time I flew it (albeit on an Iberia 727). I was shocked at the fare on the Iberia website so looked on the BA.com and found that BIO-LHR-MAD was about 20 Euros cheaper. So I am taking a 2 hour detour to save 20 Euros and earning plenty Qantas status points in the process.
I hasten to add that I am under no time pressure.
Old Mar 11, 17, 10:30 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
So I am taking a 2 hour detour to save 20 Euros and earning plenty Qantas status points in the process.
For that saving, we all know only people on this forum would do that
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
I can only admit to this on FT. My holiday to Europe in October requires some shuttling around Europe and I needed to get from Bilbao to Madrid - about 40 minutes the last time I flew it (albeit on an Iberia 727). I was shocked at the fare on the Iberia website so looked on the BA.com and found that BIO-LHR-MAD was about 20 Euros cheaper. So I am taking a 2 hour detour to save 20 Euros and earning plenty Qantas status points in the process.
I hasten to add that I am under no time pressure.
A flyer talk hero .... now for a lounge plan
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Offering CE on domestics; goes against all the other 'enhancements'

Providing the first Eurpoen direct link to New Orleans (well overdue)

The time of day of departure really affects the quality of service you get in Business
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Mine dates from a couple of years ago. After moaning for years about the old BA aircraft used LON/IST/LON, and excited to hear of an upgrade, was surprised to find myself in J in a shiny new aircraft but with the same legroom as Y, no entertainment and surly CC. It's not much fun on a four hour flight, and I've shifted to TK for real comfort, excellent food, and my own screen. It's a no-brainer, and at the risk of going off subject, on a TK domestic flight of under an hour's duration last week in J, was served smoked salmon, a delicious hot chicken and aubergine main and a pretty good chocolate mousse. The wine's awful, though....
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
The total and abject lack of support or re-routing when a long-haul business flight was cancelled with 48 hours to go. Has definitely made me more wary about them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: