What about BA has surprised you?

Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by navylad
When thinking about what to put in this thread, I thought about making a standard FT statement- either extremely anti-BA or pro ..

Now that would have been surprising

I think the only thing that has actually surprised me is the charity work that BA did ... for the airline not trying to make economic gain from this is astonishing.
On the last few flights I was surprised that BA forgot, or toned down, those long self-referential look at the good things we do with your money in an envelope ads.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:47 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I think the only thing that has actually surprised me is the charity work that BA did with my hospital but without a single press release or twitter post; the kindness of staff at BA to give up their own time for a worthy cause is admirable, for the airline not trying to make economic gain from this is astonishing.
You're right to be surprised I fear, but this is where all companies can really shine. Normal staff freely giving their time and energies with the blessing of their employer, but otherwise unencumbered by marketing guff dressed in the emperor's new clothes of corporate social responsibility.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm going for the tongue in cheek response...

That BA seriously thought a pre-packed sandwich sweating away in its plastic container had half a chance against a Pret baguette
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by catandmouse
The ability of BA at T5 to be taken by surprise by the arrival of a plane that took off from somewhere else 12 hours ago.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by catandmouse
The ability of BA at T5 to be taken by surprise by the arrival of a plane that took off from somewhere else 12 hours ago.
Haha - so true!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
For me it remains a source of amazement that BA manages to keep hold of their good frontline staff!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I am continually surprised that, according to numerous posts/threads here, BA ground agents seem intellectually incapable of managing Priority Boarding, despite numerous examples of 'best practice' existing elsewhere.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am surprised at how much better AA are compared to BA now on all aspects of long and short haul!

Better at dealing with wx flight changes, ground staff with the ability to make decisions, better boarding, better food, better aircraft (77W) long-haul, better lounges (some not all) better on-time performance - I could go on!

I used to fly AA a lot when I lived in the US and it was fine, but BA was better. Now the difference the other way has shocked me!

Aks120
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:41 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Lots of surprises in one recent trip...
Nasty surprises:

Discovering that when seated with an infant, you cannot change seats as the flight nears OLCI.

Discovering that BA's op up system doesn't always prioritise gold card holders on oversold flights. Seems to be a new thing since FLY.

The lounge in DXB (awful). Was expecting something better, given how new it is

That the arm rests in WT don't go all the way up on the 77W so it was very difficult to lie flat even though the flight was empty.

Nice surprises:
Main meal in WT+ was excellent
How good the gold line staff are
Getting a call from the LHR lounge manager 30 min after filling in a text survey
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Not having advance gate assignments (at least publicly available on the FDIS) for long haul routes when there are 777s parked on stand as far as the eye can see.

Charging for drinks in euro traveller - a race to catch up with ryanair/easyjet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.