Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What about BA has surprised you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm surprised they haven't gone bust because according to what you read on here noone flies them.
Its the profits they make from people like you that sustains them
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by jbfield
Mind you, hopefully she's learnt her lesson and will do as I did next time, i.e. paid extra to fly SQ (despite also being BA Gold).
Flew SYD-SIN in Y last month. Not with BA even though I had access to QF F lounge, but with SQ. It was a one way flight costing $612. BA wanted slightly more, and I could have used Avios points for an Y redemption (no other cabins available) but with the YQ it doesn't make much sense. Award seats in QF in Y was available but I was looking for at least PE but they don't have it since they downgraded their 747s to A330s a few years ago.

One thing I do know when flying this route is which carrier to choose in Y. For the distance, just a few hundred miles further than LHR-JFK, you get a quality product in Y with all the trimmings (hot towels, menus, amenity kits), two (2!) hot meals and I'm not talking about a nasty folded pizza here for the 2nd meal - it's a proper main course - and fresh, clean, reguarly replenished toilets.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
After the sudden death of my father in law six hours before my wife & I were flying on a LH award ticket to Asia BA refunded our avios and fees without a quibble. There are some great staff at BA.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
The biggest surprise to me (and with great sadness to see) is how quickly a brand that once stood for so much - quality, innovation, pride, market leadership, can just throw in the towel.

Very sad to see and I fear they may never recover, because there is no desire to.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Two things for me:

1. The lack of automation when it comes to tracking Jokers

2. The GGL team - some of the best airline customer service I have experienced
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:41 am
Suspended

They have daytime flights from LHR to India, so no need to fly J class.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK ElitePlus
How - in less than 10y time - they went from leading LH J to lagging..

JJBe

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
Hi all,

Thought I'd ask this question (not necessarily for anything negative) as I was sitting in the T5 North lounge last night when I looked at the departures screen and saw BA was flying to Luanda. I wasn't aware they flew to Luanda so I was a bit surprised. I now see they fly there twice weekly, which was interesting to me.

So I was wondering: is there anything relating to BA that has surprised you?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Yesterday the BA1318 LHR-ABZ aborted landing on visibility grounds and BA ops had it diverted to EDI. It transpires that they knew well in advance that this was most likely going to be the case but still requested to the captain that he checks it out anyway. Fair enough in itself, but when approaching EDI to be told they had nowhere to park and can't accept the divert hence being forwarded to GLA seemed somewhat bad operational planning. On a much better note after arriving in ABZ eventually I'm told that the new lounge will definitely be a BA branded job, and not just access to a third party lounge (although there will be one built). Arrangements are somewhat unclear during the transitional process but I imagine some agreement will be reached.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
Its the profits they make from people like you that sustains them
Originally Posted by wb1969
The biggest surprise to me (and with great sadness to see) is how quickly a brand that once stood for so much - quality, innovation, pride, market leadership, can just throw in the towel.

Very sad to see and I fear they may never recover, because there is no desire to.
The hope is that like UA, which was very profitable, and gave UA defenders cover to say everything must be great, the BoD finally realized Smisek was destroying the airline and fired him bringing in a board member (Munoz) as the new CEO.

While nobody can debate WW/AC do a good job keeping the books, they lack vision beyond producing shiny quarterly numbers.

I'm surprised somebody as smart as WW is willing to risk the brand often over pennies.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:39 am

Surprising? How the public perception of the airline is just so low and that it was ever really allowed to get to that level.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:37 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm surprised how during every phone call and flight on BA I get frustrated, angry, and/or disappointed.

No more BA for me....
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I was surprised by how kind the check in BA agent in T5 was to me, and how sorry she was that she couldn't override the system to put me on an earlier flight as the cut off time was reached even though the plane was slightly delayed.

It wasn't her fault at all, so I told her don't worry about it I will wait!
My favourite part of BA; the calmness of some of the staff!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Tonight I was about to purchase a business class flight from AMS to BKK. Went to select seats, and was surprised to find out that BA charges for seat reservations.
In Business Class?
No thank you.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The ability of BA at T5 to be taken by surprise by the arrival of a plane that took off from somewhere else 12 hours ago.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
When thinking about what to put in this thread, I thought about making a standard FT statement- either extremely anti-BA or pro, I mean that people get so passionate about a form of transport that gets you from A to B (or iv C, D and E if your on a TP run), but actually this doesn't surprise me in reality; the phrase 1st world issues doesn't really cover what people really moan about with pleanty of real 1st world issues that actually matter, but I get its intention.

I think the only thing that has actually surprised me is the charity work that BA did with my hospital but without a single press release or twitter post; the kindness of staff at BA to give up their own time for a worthy cause is admirable, for the airline not trying to make economic gain from this is astonishing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.