Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Pilot helps out with safety demonstration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/305521...e-move-runway/

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...abin-crew.html

Just saw this. First time I heard of something like this? Probably not illegal or anything, but the cabin crew were that short?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
No, not illegal...

Aircraft I believe was a super hi-j which requires 14 positions for the safety demo to be done in a single sitting, they had 13 cabin crew. So, instead of doing it twice, the extra FO (3 flight crew on an IAH) filled one of the positions.

Nothing to even get remotely worked up about, unless you are a Sun reader looking for some limelight.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

Did this article really just say 'it must have been terrifying for passengers'..?!!

Really? TERRIFYING?! Unusual sure, slightly odd - fine, but anything more than that, really?

Jesus. Get a life.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh come on... Its published in The Sun (and I think The Mirror ran it too), so of course it is going to be "terrifying"... They are the plebeians of the journalistic world.

Their hysteria cut and paste skills are about on par with BA customer service and their email responses.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No, not illegal...

Aircraft I believe was a super hi-j which requires 14 positions for the safety demo to be done in a single sitting, they had 13 cabin crew. So, instead of doing it twice, the extra FO (3 flight crew on an IAH) filled one of the positions.

Nothing to even get remotely worked up about, unless you are a Sun reader looking for some limelight.
What's 'normal' on the Hi-J? Will they usually do it twice, or is this fairly standard procedure (or is 14+ CC the norm on this aircraft)?

I can't see how anyone would think this is terrifying.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz
What's 'normal' on the Hi-J? Will they usually do it twice, or is this fairly standard procedure (or is 14+ CC the norm on this aircraft)?

I can't see how anyone would think this is terrifying.
It is never "normal" to do the safety demo twice. It is only ever done when the crew compliment requires it for one reason or another.

Hi-J is 13 crew positions for the demonstration with a total of 14 onboard.

Super Hi-J is 14 crew positions for the demonstration with a total of 15 onboard.

The flight in question was crewed with 13, which is still above the legal required minimum cabin crew for the aircraft and pax load.

Figures above for demonstration requirements are off the top of my head, and I might be wrong.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With three pilots on board, what's a guy to do when he can't get a seat up front?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
With three pilots on board, what's a guy to do when he can't get a seat up front?
Do the pilots even know how to do the safety demonstration?

seriously I have never heard of this before. Has anyone ?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci - Diamond Hairbrush
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Oh come on... Its published in The Sun (and I think The Mirror ran it too), so of course it is going to be "terrifying"... They are the plebeians of the journalistic world.

Their hysteria cut and paste skills are about on par with BA customer service and their email responses.
Perhaps a chance to merge or outsource and save some more money!

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:07 pm Reason: Rule 16 - remove WW quote - no longer relevant
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Do the pilots even know how to do the safety demonstration?

seriously I have never heard of this before. Has anyone ?
It's probably just the pointing out the exits part, not the whole thing.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: FT
I LOVE to hate air Canada. But on a recent flight from sfo to yyz, they had an issue with the ife. They did all they could on the ground to get it going. No luck. As fa's did the drink service, I could see the captain, the senior captain, fiddling with the ife above row 1a in a a320 and would go in and out of the cockpit.

sure as crap I saw a cursor in the bottom right of the screen after about 30 minutes of his fiddling

I was not panicked. In fact, I was think this was most impressive to see all staff trying to help out.

so here, I honestly would have had a nice smile and a great change from the cheesy videos.

I mean, who thinks the BR video is even remotely proper. Although funny as heck.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/305521...e-move-runway/

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...abin-crew.html

Just saw this. First time I heard of something like this? Probably not illegal or anything, but the cabin crew were that short?
Which part of the plane would the pilot have been in for this?

If sun readers get hysterical because "the pilot" left the cockpit whilst the plane was taxiing on the ground I wonder what they would have thought if they saw the pilot going for a walkabout mid flight!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I once saw a deadheading Delta pilot helping out the FAs with the beverage cart service on one of their flights, to the amusement and bafflement of the normal cabin crew.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I recall an Eastern Airways flight where the pilot was helping to offload the baggage.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The interesting Journalistic (provocative) angle on this story is that the crew shortage was due to the MF strike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.