Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
British Airways Lounge - Boston (BOS) Edward L. Logan International Airport, Terminal E.

This thread gives details of the British Airways Lounge which opened on 23 March 2017. The lounge also service Iberia, JAL and Cathay Pacific passengers.

Location: Airside, after security, on level 4. Turn left after security, around the corner and then the lifts and escalator up to level 4 is by gate E11. Clearly signposted.

Access: one lounge with standard oneworld access rules, Sapphire and Emeralds plus one guest, GGL and Premier (2 guests), Club World passengers (no guests). First (1 guest). First Dining area reserved for BA First and Premier passengers only.

Open hours mornings: Three hours before the morning BA flight, so currently from 06:00 until 09:00 departure. Also 3 hours before the JAL Tokyo service, so currently 10:30 to 13:30
Open hours evenings: 3 hours before the first BA or IB flight (currently 15:30 for the 18:30 Iberia service) until departure of the last BA or CX flight (currently 01:30). However these will change according to the timetable. Passengers from BA, IB, JL and CX can use the lounge while it is open.

Photo review from tripodjw can be found in post 33.
Photo review from corporate-wage-slave can be found in post 65, with hot food options located in post 66.

Print Wikipost

Boston British Airways Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
i hope they've kept Juan on.
Originally Posted by martyndavid
I agree. Juan is the best of the BA lounge staff I have ever met
I can confirm he has transferred to the new Lounge.

And while I deal with other points: the Virgin Clubhouse remains in the basement, not updated, near the former BA lounge. Emirates are getting a new lounge in BOS but as their manager has told me "You need two letters in your name to get anywhere with the BOS airport management, and there's no B in Emirates". Lufthansa's lounge is being finished off next to BA.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by tripodjw
that's the long white tables
Are there any individual tables for CW passengers? I'd rather eat just with my travelling companion than with the entire cabin.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can confirm he has transferred to the new Lounge.
It lloks like a rear view of Juan in one of the photos.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HilFly
Are there any individual tables for CW passengers? I'd rather eat just with my travelling companion than with the entire cabin.
Yes, the lounge has two large open areas, one at the end of the pier with the bar and the fabulous view of Boston, the other nearer the main entrance, overlooking the apron. This second area has the food cold buffet on one side, the hot buffet in the other side, and the Concorde Dining area on the apron side. In that area the only individual tables are in First, the rest of the area is dominated by the large long tables.

However just past there is the coffee / work zone with individual tables suitable for 2 or 3 (the tables aren't that large). There are six tables there. In the bar area at the end of pier are another 8 tables. In between there are seating areas with smaller occasional tables. Hopefully the photos in my next post will clarify.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:17 pm

BOS lounge - photo review

British Airways Lounge and Concorde Dining Room, Boston Logan International Airport Terminal E.

So here is my review of the new BOS lounge. In short, the transformation is massive: from a fairly dingy and cramped set of rooms down an uninviting corridor in Terminal E's basement, with no natural light, to a spacious, welcoming, top of the range lounge with eye popping views.

Access and Entrance
Access to the lounge is either by going up the same lift (elevator) that used to go down to the previous lounge, by gate E11. Or take the stairs, which is again a better layout than the previous fire exit:

The basic layout is of two main passageways along the length of the lounge, one going along the terminal side (the main one) from reception to the end of the lounge which is the bar area; and another on the apron side, this runs from the refectory area to the bar.

Bar area
I make no apologies for heading straight to the bar area, passing the refectory area and several seating enclaves. The view is amazing, and such a contrast to what we had before.

There are some work tables right on the end, with power sockets.

And three seating enclaves around the sides of the bar area, which were already much sought after even with a modest number of users.

Seating areas
There are quite a number of seating areas, and in common with the other BA Lounges (such as EDI and LGW), each area has a slightly different style of seating. There are 3 seating areas on the main passageway from the reception to the bar, on the left (so facing the terminal main entrances and Hilton). Another seating area runs along the windows overlooking the terminal entrances. Then there is one on the right side, overlooking the apron, between the bar and the refectory, so five areas in all.

Work area
This is smaller than the other lounges in this concept, but that may reflect the flight timings from BOS.

Note, only US power points and USB.

There is a copier and a wifi printer.

Concorde Dining
At the moment they are only allowing true First passengers to use this area, I suspect the memo from London may take a few weeks to arrive (as it did for IAD). It uses the same menu at JFK/PHL/IAD. As you can see it's a relatively open area, adjoining the main refectory.

Refectory
As noted upthread, the refectory area consists of 3 long tables, with seating for ten each. On one side is the hot buffet, and the cold buffet is on the other side. All passengers have access to this (at least at the moment).

Cold buffet

Hot buffet and menu

[More on the hot food and drinks in a further post]

The lounge has one shower and a good WC provision: this is down a mini corridor linking the apron side and terminal side passageways.

Overall the impression is of a very smart, very practical, light, area and spacious lounge, and a vast improvement on the previous offering. If one

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 24, 2017 at 5:33 am Reason: spelling updates
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

So round two, continuing on this lounge visit, focusing on hot food and drinks.

The menu is in the post immediately above, and there is a real kitchen, with real chefs in it! There is a salad bar, pasta station, a choice of soups, hot main dishes and a few desserts.

Then wine and beer are on self-serve. Hard liquor from the bar.

The beers include Samuel Adams Cold Snap, Amstel Light, Corrs and Heineken, all in bottles.

CCR drinks

And the direct exit gate, already featured:

There are then 2 escalators, the first that goes to the main departure floor level, and where non-lounge users enter the gate area, and another down to a lower area, where the two airbridges join up:

Incidentally, despite it being quite busy (the first flight is a Super J 747, and it's nearly full), the staff are doing a good job being personable and helpful.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 25, 2017 at 2:04 am Reason: more photos
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
True first class passengers as opposed to?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I got here early for my 9pm flight, the lounge is jammed!

There's no way that this volume of guests would have fit in the old lounge.

Lovely space though, BA have done a great job. I also noticed the work in progress on the Lufthansa and Emirates lounges.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jday
True first class passengers as opposed to?
CCR and Prem cardholders!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
CCR and Prem cardholders!
ah I see. Lounge looks nice. Similar style to the new LGW lounge which isn't a bad thing. Will hopefully be heading to Boston again for work sometime soon to try it out
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The lounge looks great and very aligned to the latest lounges BA are rolling out. It's nice to increase the consistency! Thanks for the photos cws.

I am slightly disappointed with the look of the Concorde Dining area - not a patch on the secluded booths and more private area of IAD.

Is there no dedicated Club World Pre-Flight Supper area? Can all lounge-eligible passengers take advantage of the hot buffet?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
Is there no dedicated Club World Pre-Flight Supper area? Can all lounge-eligible passengers take advantage of the hot buffet?
Yes, clearly you were as surprised as me!

The layout and buffet arrangement makes it difficult to enforce unless they dedicated two staff members purely to keep out WT and WTP passengers. But it's a great choice of food on option, in some ways better than the London Flounges, so a great boost for those travelling behind (or in some aircraft, in front!) of the CW cabin. It may, of course, change later on when the lounge is bedded in.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BCFC Season ticket
I'm here now and can confirm that:
a) it is really busy - where would all these people have gone in the old lounge ?
b) it is really nice - bright, light, clean - all the things the old one wasn't
c) the staff are great - upbeat, happy and doing a great job of keeping things clean.

For the first time in ages I feel myself wanting to say "well done BA" !
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:19 pm

I expect this is the last time I am ever going to write this. The old BA lounge was not in the basement!

I don't see how opening up the full buffet to all lounge users can work - with so many flights so close together it may not cope with CW passengers, never mind the various card holders. I also wonder about the amount of seating in general - is there enough to accommodate the crowds?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:31 pm

OK, it certainly felt like the basement, but you're right, it was actually level 2, so well above ground level. The new lounge is on level 4.

I'm wondering where all these passengers came from, but the first flight is being called now (18:30 for the 18:55 departure), and I suspect the lounge is going to me much calmer after that. Now that flight perhaps is bad as it gets: there is an Iberia flight (18:30 departure) just before, and this flight is a Super J 747 which is totally full in WTP, CW and nearly full in F and WT. [BA's accountants will be delighted]. The next flight is nearly full (21:10), a 777-200, and the last flight isn't so full, in any case it's a 52J aircraft. So the peak was around 18:00 hrs, and it should get quieter now.

The lounge was busy but just about coped, and it probably won't get much busier with the A380 given one service gets cut altogether.

Incidentally this is really strange: people are queuing through the bar for the boarding gate - what is the point of that? Just wait until the gate is open surely?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.