Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA downgraded me to Blue for not taking Longhaul flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club

My tier point year ended yesterday, while being over 300 TP's and taking twelve BA flights over the last year BA have downgraded me to Blue for 'not taking at least two eligible flights'. They said that I needed to fly on at least two long haul flights....

Something new? Doesn't say anywhere on the website - just 300 TP's and 2 BA flights.

Called them, and they said it would be changed on this occurrence... Although I don't hold out much hope.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 9, 2017 at 3:11 am Reason: Edit thread title to clarify that LH means Longhaul not Lufthansa
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:58 am

I'm sure someone far more knowledgable will be along shortly, but that sounds very odd and isn't something I'd heard of before - either in terms of it being a restriction/rule, or of other people being told that.

I certainly hope it isn't a new requirement, as it will scupper any chances of me hitting status anytime soon. I rather suspect that is also the case for many people who travel heavily in short haul economy (e.g. due to corporate policy), so can foresee a mass outcry if this is indeed a changed requirement.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many eligible BA flights' did you take in the previous year?
Excluding award flights.
BA marketed (flight number)?
BA operated (other airline flight number)?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:06 am

AFAIK there isn't a requirement for long haul flights. Especially given that BA grants status to frequent short haul only fliers (50 short haul flights makes silver)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to be clear you do need two eligible flights in the membership year for bronze as well as achieving 300 TPs. This has been the case for many years. They can be flights of any kind, so domestic, short haul, or long haul.

In terms of what flight are eligible flights, this is the list, how many did you take?

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways, and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

-'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
-'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
-'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).

Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:08 am
Original Poster

I make it 12 BA marketed/operated flights - 0 reward flights. 325 TP's.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
There is no requirement to take a longhaul flight. Someone is making things up.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Something isn't right here. Two BA revenue flights is fine, they could be the cheapest JER-LGW flights which cost under £30 each, and various other options are OK too. If you want you could put a few example flight down here, since your thread so far is non specific so it is very difficult to advise, alternatively call BAEC and talk to someone there. BA IT glitches are well known, but I've never heard of a problem here. Well, there is a well known one relating to the way the BA App displays information in this area, which is confusing, BA.com has a clear layout here.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by luxurytravelled
What did your account summary say (before the year end) on ba.com? It tells you how many TPs and eligible flights you need to maintain / elevate your status.. did it mention these 2 flights even after you had taken the first few?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:20 am
Original Poster

LGW-VLC (ET), LGW-SVQ (ET), LHR-TXL (ET/CE), LGW-ALC (ET), LGW-RAK (CE), LHR-BCN (ET/CE)

Spoken to BAEC and they have said that they would let me have Bronze - I would have to wait 72 hours for it to be done, is this correct?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LGW-VLC (ET), LGW-SVQ (ET), LHR-TXL (ET/CE), LGW-ALC (ET), LGW-RAK (CE), LHR-BCN (ET/CE)

Spoken to BAEC and they have said that they would let me have Bronze - I would have to wait 72 hours for it to be done, is this correct?
Either someone has a warped sense of humour or are new employees. The flights listed above, assuming they are revenue tickets which earned TPs and Avios, all are good for Bronze, Silver, Gold or GGL purposes. I find it odd you were downgraded by the computer, otherwise we would have dozens of threads on this, so I'm wondering if there is some special factor here.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Poster

That's what I thought CWS - not been having the best of luck over the last couple of weeks!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did all 12flights post to BA avios?
Purchased from BA or a real travel agent?
Something seems odd. Would expect the BA computer to pick up eligible flights.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:36 am
Original Poster

All 12 posted to avios, and all purchased directly from BA. No reward flights - I'm saving them for a US trip next year.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
All 12 posted to avios ...
Did they post to avios.com or to BAEC?

You need to have had two Avios/TP-earning BA flights posted to BAEC. On the basis of what you say, it sounds like all 12 went to BAEC and what's happened here sounds very odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.