Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken First Seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Interestingly - one of my tweets has been retweeted over 500 times about this issue!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beetlebum
Interestingly - one of my tweets has been retweeted over 500 times about this issue!
Some news.

I after my second complaint to BA about this issue, I was told I would not be given another offer and the matter was final.

During the same weekend Victoria Cohen Mitchell wrote an article in the Observer that painted BA as a declining brand, it received a battering online also: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ritish-airways

The Monday after this was published I contacted my credit card company and disputed 100% of the charge - within a week, it was confirmed that my complaint was upheld and I was credited the entire return ticket costs for the flights. In addition, as this dispute was upheld, I was able to keep all of my Avios points and tier points. (A small caveat - the CC company have said that BA have a period in which to prove that the chair was not broken, but as BA confirmed to me in writing that the chair WAS broken, this is very unlikely to be turned over)

A positive result for me, however, I wonder if this is at the consideration of BA from the mauling it received earlier in the week. Call me a skeptic, but as my story has been shared over twitter, Facebook and here, I do wonder if this is potential PR tool for BA of benefit from my news of the refund. This is also timely as BA's First Wing is hitting the forums and being announced.

In short, refund via significant chasing. Could this have been managed better BA? Yes, certainly. If they had have communicated with me a little more positively, I would have been talking to everyone about how positive my experience was and how the First brand existing gloriously in spite of the Guardian article above. Would I fly BA long haul again, doubtful.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:57 am

Well done. Shows that with some persistence you can face down even the big companies.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:02 am

The Monday after this was published I contacted my credit card company and disputed 100% of the charge - within a week, it was confirmed that my complaint was upheld and I was credited the entire return ticket costs for the flights.
Quite a difference to BA's final offer of Ł100 off a future flight. Glad you got it sorted. ^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I don't get why you think BA have anything to do with your refund? It was your credit card company that refunded you, not BA.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Good to hear your positive news, just hope that BA do not try to overturn the dispute. As a matter of interest do you intend to fly BA again in the future?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdj1
I don't get why you think BA have anything to do with your refund? It was your credit card company that refunded you, not BA.
I don't think BA had a choice mdj1; beyond further disputing the claim and making it more difficult for the claim to be cleared so swiftly.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
Good to hear your positive news, just hope that BA do not try to overturn the dispute. As a matter of interest do you intend to fly BA again in the future?
Thank you. Undecided. We shall see.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I contacted my credit card company and disputed 100% of the charge - within a week, it was confirmed that my complaint was upheld and I was credited the entire return ticket costs for the flights. In addition, as this dispute was upheld, I was able to keep all of my Avios points and tier points.
That's a great result. Well done!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Congratulations beetlebum, can you confirm whether this was a Section 75 claim (for which BA is legally jointly responsible) or a Chargeback (for which it's a contractural not legal process)? It would also be good if you could disclose the credit card company too, but for privacy reasons I can imagine why you may not wish to be open on that one.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. I doubt the other publicity had anything to do with it, from what I know about how these things work. Small cogs, large wheel.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Congratulations beetlebum, can you confirm whether this was a Section 75 claim (for which BA is legally jointly responsible) or a Chargeback (for which it's a contractual not legal process)? It would also be good if you could disclose the credit card company too, but for privacy reasons I can imagine why you may not wish to be open on that one.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. I doubt the other publicity had anything to do with it, from what I know about how these things work. Small cogs, large wheel.
Thank you CWS - I have thought about all the questions above and I would rather keep that to myself. Not for onerous reasons, just for privacy.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you CWS - I have thought about all the questions above and I would rather keep that to myself. Not for onerous reasons, just for privacy.
Fair enough, and thanks for sharing the outcome.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Some news.

I after my second complaint to BA about this issue, I was told I would not be given another offer and the matter was final.

During the same weekend Victoria Cohen Mitchell wrote an article in the Observer that painted BA as a declining brand, it received a battering online also: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ritish-airways

The Monday after this was published I contacted my credit card company and disputed 100% of the charge - within a week, it was confirmed that my complaint was upheld and I was credited the entire return ticket costs for the flights. In addition, as this dispute was upheld, I was able to keep all of my Avios points and tier points. (A small caveat - the CC company have said that BA have a period in which to prove that the chair was not broken, but as BA confirmed to me in writing that the chair WAS broken, this is very unlikely to be turned over)

A positive result for me, however, I wonder if this is at the consideration of BA from the mauling it received earlier in the week. Call me a skeptic, but as my story has been shared over twitter, Facebook and here, I do wonder if this is potential PR tool for BA of benefit from my news of the refund. This is also timely as BA's First Wing is hitting the forums and being announced.

In short, refund via significant chasing. Could this have been managed better BA? Yes, certainly. If they had have communicated with me a little more positively, I would have been talking to everyone about how positive my experience was and how the First brand existing gloriously in spite of the Guardian article above. Would I fly BA long haul again, doubtful.
I wouldn't count your chickens just yet. I presume your credit card company is handling your complaint under the Consumer Credit Act provisions or under its supplier agreement. Whilst it is clear you are entitled to compensation for the affected flight, what you are not entitled to is a refund of the entire round-trip ticket.

The credit card company cannot arbitrarily decide a supplier is liable and to what extent, it cannot simply charge back and think that is the end of it. This charge may well reappear in your account in the future. It depends on what the supplier thinks of the chargeback, and how it wishes to deal with it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:08 am

I could very well be wrong but in my (rather limited) experience with chargebacks, the decision once made is final. When I've had to chargeback a purchase, the CC company would usually offer a provision credit that saves you from needing to immediately pay for the charge after the usual statement grace period. The provision credit is then either finalised or overturned when the final decision for the dispute has been made (usually within 90 days). Once it has been finalised, then the dispute is considered closed with no further appeals possible by either side.

So, if the OP's decision was the final decision, then I would imagine that the chances of this matter coming up again in any form is essential non-existent.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

I had the initial temporary credit.

I then received a letter from the CC company telling me that the matter had been closed and settled. Hence my doubt that this will be overturned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.