Search

What would you change about Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:45 pm
cjt
Original Poster

What would you change about Avios?

Hi all,

I have an interview with an Avios-related loyalty company in a few weeks. I'm wondering what people would change about the Avios/BAEC program, what feature you'd like to see introduced etc?

Or any other changes to the general culture of loyalty/frequent flier programs?

Any insights will be much appreciated....
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:57 pm

At risk of cross posting, (see Aer Lingus forum) I would like to see continued expansion of transparency and mobility of points across BA, EI, IB, Avios, etc.

One point of confusion is whether or not membership in Avios comes with joining BAEC, AerClub, etc., as it seems it does but maybe isn't supposed to if you are not a UK resident.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I would like airline FFPs to allow award flights to count for status, which is the case in many hotel loyalty programs.

Apart from that the only thing, which is probably a universal gripe, is that points continually devalue and there is a trend of moving to revenue-based earning and revenue-based redemption which I hope Avios does not adopt.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:35 pm

A way to convert Qmiles in to Avios at 1:1
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Avios needs to open up waitlisting for awards/upgrades.

I don't see why BA is doing PUGO only for cash but not miles.

I also don't see why Gold members need to fight for any award seat opening up with the Blue mortals.

Gold Awards for 200% of the miles are overpriced - LH and SQ do this for much less.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:41 am

Giving 'Plus' fare benefits to RFS sectors - in particular the same day flexibility.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
As several FFP the possibility to pay extra luggage/overweight with Avios, seat reservation with Avios (even better for free as a lot of airlines).
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
More redemption availability. Pretty much every flight I have tried to book with Avios other than short haul to Europe from London has been unavailable - both on BA and IB.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:12 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by NYTA
More redemption availability. Pretty much every flight I have tried to book with Avios other than short haul to Europe from London has been unavailable - both on BA and IB.
It's this for me too. With Avios especially, it's the reward flight availability which makes it unattractive compared to other FFPs (in my case Virgin Atlantic Flying Club).
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:20 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:51 pm
cjt
Original Poster

I agree with most of this - particularly improving the atrocious availability.

Personally, I'd love to see some sort of system where elite members are offered last minute (24-48hrs) seats for a reduced avios price. I think this could work for the FFP's if they limited these redemptions to economy/premium economy. These seats would otherwise go unsold, and this method potentially reduces the amount of avios that the elites are redeeming in business/first (ie. classes that give Avios the worst value for money, and conversely the customer best value per point)...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
I would love to see a system much like the Gold Priority Reward for Gold members but open to other tiers as well whereby you could choose to pay double (or more) Avios to book the flight. Obviously there are good reasons why it wouldn't work on short-haul but perhaps opening it up on long-haul close to departure wouldn't be the worst idea.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by source05
As several FFP the possibility to pay extra luggage/overweight with Avios, seat reservation with Avios (even better for free as a lot of airlines).
I agree with this as well actually, would be nice to be able to buy extra suitcases and the like with Avios. I also think allowing people to use Avios instead of paying cash for seat selection may reduce some of the grumblings from people about being made to pay a premium for a good seat.
Passengers could use Avios that they know they will earn back from the flight anyway (on a cash ticket) to offset the cost of seat etc
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I would get rid of that stupid Avios.com thing and merge the whole thing onto one platform. Avios.com is a marketing scam anyway, because the points rarely if ever post anyway, especially from outfits like Flybe. Consequence: I don't use Avios.com any more.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:06 am
cjt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
I would get rid of that stupid Avios.com thing and merge the whole thing onto one platform. Avios.com is a marketing scam anyway, because the points rarely if ever post anyway, especially from outfits like Flybe. Consequence: I don't use Avios.com any more.
I believe that they have plans to merge everything together this year to create a "bank" of some sort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.