FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Selected quotes from the IAG 2016 Annual Report (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1827697-selected-quotes-iag-2016-annual-report.html)

lost_in_translation Mar 7, 2017 6:03 am

Selected quotes from the IAG 2016 Annual Report

For those looking to understand what the next year of flying BA brings, the IAG 2016 Annual Report was published last week - http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zht...-reportsannual. Selected sections I found to be of interest below (some reiterating plans already revealed elsewhere and some adding new detail):

Originally Posted by IAG
£400 million will be invested in Club World to transform food and drink offered to customers, deliver a step-change in service; providing more opportunities to sleep on overnight flights by changing service routines and providing new bedding and amenities. The potential for a new Club World seat is also currently being examined.

Possible roll-out of sleeper services beyond the US East Coast? Also, sounds to me like a new Club World could still be scrapped.

Originally Posted by IAG
The number of Airbus 319s in our fleet will reduce from 44 to 26 by 2021 (being replaced by Airbus A320neos and Airbus A321neos from 2018), while Heathrow-based Airbus A320s will be densified to 180 seats (from 168 seats). Airbus A321s will be densified to 218 seats (up from 205 seats) starting from early 2018.

Originally Posted by IAG
IAG has started the Group’s In-Flight Portal development to unlock revenue from a new channel in the air. The portal will launch for shorthaul in September 2017 and for longhaul in October 2017.

Sounds like some sort of IFE streaming is planned with the advent of in-flight WiFi.

Originally Posted by IAG
In 2016, the IAG Management Committee continued to review the joint business arrangement with American Airlines with respect to the inclusion of Aer Lingus.

Not yet finalised that EI will join the TATL JV.

T8191 Mar 7, 2017 8:36 am

I will just be happier when EI is properly embedded in OW, and shares the rules (baggage allowances, lounge access, TP/Avios). Personal issue, of course ... others may take a wider view.

fransknorge Mar 7, 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 28002944)

Originally Posted by IAG
IAG has started the Group’s In-Flight Portal development to unlock revenue from a new channel in the air. The portal will launch for shorthaul in September 2017 and for longhaul in October 2017.

Sounds like some sort of IFE streaming is planned with the advent of in-flight WiFi.

Sounds like some sort of not-free IFE streaming.

T8191 Mar 7, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 28003734)
Sounds like some sort of not-free IFE streaming.

"Unlock Revenue" is BA's favourite phrase these days.

scillyisles Mar 7, 2017 12:25 pm

BA is planning to charge for wifi and content and thinks that customers will pay premium prices for this. The BA app is being modified to support this feature. They plan to move content from IFE and charge for this on their wifi.

crazyanglaisy Mar 7, 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by scillyisles (Post 28004723)
BA is planning to charge for wifi and content and thinks that customers will pay premium prices for this. The BA app is being modified to support this feature. They plan to move content from IFE and charge for this on their wifi.

If BA stop offering free options on the IFE, or even restrict new TV and movies releases to a pay-only channel over wi-fi or through the IFE, they might well find themselves locking back up some revenue, particularly from folks down the back.

I've got a couple of colleagues who make airline booking choices solely on the basis of the movies being shown on the IFE that month. What that says about them, and their priorities, need go unsaid!

T8191 Mar 7, 2017 12:57 pm

My [and her] Kindles always fly fully charged, given the unreliability of BA's IFE.

If they think I'm going to pay-to-view, or use WiFi, they will have a VERY long wait.

"And so the sun set slowly on yet another aspect of BA's pretence at being a premium airline ..."

Calum Mar 7, 2017 1:06 pm

Didn't know Easyjet was going long haul!

Just wait until the wifi fails on a BKK flight...

scillyisles Mar 7, 2017 1:16 pm

1. BA is planning to charge for wifi
2. The BA app is being modified to support this feature - perhaps you will be able to pay using Avios.:)
3. Certain content which is currently on the IFE will not longer be available on the IFE and you will have to use wifi to access content of this type.

nallison Mar 7, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by scillyisles (Post 28004930)
1. BA is planning to charge for wifi
2. The BA app is being modified to support this feature - perhaps you will be able to pay using Avios.:)
3. Certain content which is currently on the IFE will not longer be available on the IFE and you will have to use wifi to access content of this type.

Wow, that probably deserves it's own thread. Repeat after me, BA is not a low cost carrier...