Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Southwest invented this with the 10-minute-turnaround. Everyone (FA's, pilots) run up the aisle with a bin liner to collect the mess. It's a way to stay in business.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:18 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by ianwall
Another example of the Skift Article "If one particular day we don’t come up with an idea to reduce our costs, then we’re not doing our job."

I'm sure there's a middle manager at Waterside towers somewhere who got their picture up on the "Cost Cut of the Week" wall-chart, a gold star and a free flight to Band 1 (HBO) to say well done.
I'm sure they'll be coming up with another great idea soon enough. Didn't Ryanair cme up with the idea of charging for toilet access? Who knows what BA will jump on to next - bring your own hand soap? Perhaps a coin box to contribute to the fuel costs on top of fuel surcharges?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
which ?
Not specifically answering your question, but weren't Swiss short-haul CC asked to "tidy" the planes when doing turnarounds at outstations?

There was some noise on the LH board about this a few years back.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I wonder how many Sun 'journalists' empty the bins at home if it's only a 3rd full?
Do you have any other irrelevant analogies?

This is all fine when things run smoothly, but when you hit IRROPS (which happens all too frequently at LHR), aircraft get stuck off stand or down route holding for a slot, then the proverbial hits the fan (or gets stuck in the pan).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Do you have any other irrelevant analogies?

This is all fine when things run smoothly, but when you hit IRROPS (which happens all too frequently at LHR), aircraft get stuck off stand or down route holding for a slot, then the proverbial hits the fan (or gets stuck in the pan).
It's not an irrelevant analogy.

And the trial doesn't apply to LHR so that's irrelevant.

Emptying the toilets when the tanks are only 1/3rd full does seem to be a waste of money. Over half full then yes empty them wherever the plane is.

If a plane is doing short runs then empty them at LGW when they return to base.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
And how much is really saved with the fuel needed to cart all of this toilet waste back to base?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
And how much is really saved with the fuel needed to cart all of this toilet waste back to base?
A s**tload !
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:45 am
Suspended

The next step is that one or two of the cabin crew will be asked to clean the seats and two others to aid the boarding process so that BA can save labour cost in out stations. Qantas is doing this by using cabin crew to man the gate boarding process so I can see BA may wish to trial after Alex Cruz used every trick he knows and still can not achieve any result.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The extra fuel used would measured in grams on a short haul sector. ie immeasurably small.

Is this story actually true anyway? I haven't heard a peep from any LGW crew friends. There was a payment years ago when cleaners couldn't get to aircraft without causing delay, are we sure this isn't just this?

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Mar 7, 2017 at 3:58 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
which ?
Apologies, I was slightly misinformed. The airline I was referring to does still use cleaners at outstations but doesn't get the toilets emptied except on long sectors - on shorter sectors they're only emptied on request, i.e. when necessary.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by rum
I'm sure they'll be coming up with another great idea soon enough. Didn't Ryanair cme up with the idea of charging for toilet access? Who knows what BA will jump on to next - bring your own hand soap? Perhaps a coin box to contribute to the fuel costs on top of fuel surcharges?
It's definitely heading that way
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
So what happens if & when all the toilets are full? and you're dying for a number 1 or 2?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:37 am

Maybe like the trains a "travelling cleaner" could be employed. Passengers will be asked to temporarily stand in the aisle whilst their area is cleaned.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:38 am

Does anyone actually read the last 2 lines of the story before posting?

Last night British Airways told The Sun: “In the rare event that cleaners are delayed, our Gatwick cabin crew can carry out light cleaning of the cabin to ensure flights depart on time.

“This flexibility has been in place for many years and helps us keep our flights punctual.”
It was certainly in place when I last operated out of LGW in the early 2000s, its a complete non story.
Sealink and TedToToe like this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It seems we have passed the point where you could comfortably come up with some sarcastic hyperbole about BA cost-cutting measures knowing full well it would be read as a joke. Now finally the truth is worse than the fiction - if anyone on FT had suggested this it would have been put in the trash (sorry).

I'm scared that someone at Waterside at the end of their tether will jokingly suggest something like making pax pay for speedy boarding, and AC will adopt that as his latest 'initiative'.

First they came for the cleaners.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.