Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Mail: BA to reduce pitch to 29"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Daily Mail: BA to reduce pitch to 29"

BA is planning to reduce the gap between seats from 30 inches to 29 on some of its planes, less than Ryanair.

The move, which would make BA’s legroom the same as easyJet’s, will make space for an extra two rows of seats to carry 12 more fliers. Ryanair’s gap is 30 inches.
The article continues to say this is for the A320 and A321

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-Ryanair.html

Edit March 6: Additional sources
Originally Posted by Worcester
Evening Standard British Airways to have less legroom on short-haul flights than RyanAir

The Sun - British Airways is shrinking the legroom on its flights, giving passengers less space than a Ryanair plane

Yahoo News - British Airways will soon have less legroom on short-haul flights than Ryanair
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
And currently climbing the BBC News website Top 10: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39184179

Last edited by Gig103; Mar 6, 2017 at 10:48 pm Reason: Adding additional sources
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold Executive Club
I saw the same article. For what it's worth my comment on the Daily Mail website, and my message to BA is as follows:
"BA what are you doing? Your selling point should be service and "luxury" (if it's possible to have luxury on a short-haul flight). Low cost airlines promise to get you from A-B without any frills whereas you should be aiming your business at people who want a little bit extra, e.g. extra service, a free meal and drink etc. From the reviews I've read your recent decision to stop supplying free food and drink in Economy Class hasn't been a big hit....and now you want to cram me into my seat? What happened to "To Fly, To Serve"? As one of your regular Club Class customers and gold Executive Club members I'm questioning my many years of loyalty to you. Please stop decreasing the quality of the service and pitch your product as a more "upmarket" short-haul option"
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Pretty bad decision. I assume they will similarly adjust CE? Will certainly make connecting in LHR from the US to various European destinations very unattractive.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Certainly a step in the wrong direction, but worth noting that the seat pitch comparisons are a bit misleading. Pitch is the distance between seats at the same point, but BA's seats are noticeably thinner. That gives greater knee room that say Easyjet, even with the same pitch.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Certainly a step in the wrong direction, but worth noting that the seat pitch comparisons are a bit misleading. Pitch is the distance between seats at the same point, but BA's seats are noticeably thinner. That gives greater knee room that say Easyjet, even with the same pitch.
So basically enjoy a few hours of decent knee room because your butt is going to be sore for 2-3 days after the flight is over.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:44 pm

Surely at some point the additional revenue from these seating changes must be offset by the cost of changing configurations every five minutes.

It's tight enough as it is. If they get thinner seats with narrower headrests (i find the current seats extremely claustrophobic) then it will make no difference. If they just squeeze the same seats further together...
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Stripe
Pretty bad decision. I assume they will similarly adjust CE? Will certainly make connecting in LHR from the US to various European destinations very unattractive.
Or maybe this will be a new differentiator between Club Europe/ Club UK and economy?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:01 pm

Alex Cruz is a one trick pony. He only knows and understands loco. He is Spanish and does not understand much about the USP of being a British Airline. He is a one man wrecking ball hell bent on destroying BAs reputation and brand image
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I expected this when the A320/321 densification was announced but reading it like this (29") makes it even worse!

Last edited by florens; Mar 5, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Alex Cruz is a one trick pony. He only knows and understands loco. He is Spanish and does not understand much about the USP of being a British Airline. He is a one man wrecking ball hell bent on destroying BAs reputation and brand image
Spot on. BA is destroying a legacy built over decades.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I drop to bronze next month....looks likely I won't be going far with BA anytime soon.

Only if QR have competitive fares will I be getting tier pts.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by AndyHunt
I saw the same article. For what it's worth my comment on the Daily Mail website, and my message to BA is as follows:
"BA what are you doing? Your selling point should be service and "luxury" (if it's possible to have luxury on a short-haul flight). Low cost airlines promise to get you from A-B without any frills whereas you should be aiming your business at people who want a little bit extra, e.g. extra service, a free meal and drink etc. From the reviews I've read your recent decision to stop supplying free food and drink in Economy Class hasn't been a big hit....and now you want to cram me into my seat? What happened to "To Fly, To Serve"? As one of your regular Club Class customers and gold Executive Club members I'm questioning my many years of loyalty to you. Please stop decreasing the quality of the service and pitch your product as a more "upmarket" short-haul option"
I honestly never thought this day would arrive. Ryanair product is superior to BA.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Absolutely dreadful. The lack of space for hand luggage and lack of time for BoB service will only become worse. If there was a better alternative to BA and OW for a London based person like myself then I would jump in a heartbeat because my "loyalty" is enforced by necessity only, but I don't think there is a better alternative. Out of interest, what are seat pitches on the likes of LH, OS, KL?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I would just drop the seat pitch to 28" and get ahead of the competition.
Also got to be cheaper doing this in one go rather than dropping to 29" and then having to further enhance it a year or two later.

Can't be too long before they realistically start looking at those "lie flat" economy seats Omar demonstrated in "come Fly With Me".
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Absolutely dreadful. The lack of space for hand luggage and lack of time for BoB service will only become worse. If there was a better alternative to BA and OW for a London based person like myself then I would jump in a heartbeat because my "loyalty" is enforced by necessity only, but I don't think there is a better alternative. Out of interest, what are seat pitches on the likes of LH, OS, KL?
This is what Cruz is not getting - He's turned BA into a flight experience that is a "necessary evil", instead of striving for retaining customers and earning new ones by saying "Remember that awful experience on Ryanair and Easyjet? Come over to BA!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.