FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   767 operating BA716/717 LHR-ZRH-LHR S17 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1827222-767-operating-ba716-717-lhr-zrh-lhr-s17.html)

Roger Mar 5, 2017 5:27 am

767 operating BA716/717 LHR-ZRH-LHR S17

I hadn't noticed this before. Planning future flights to/from ZRH, I see that a Boeing 767 is operating daily flights BA716/717 this summer, a change from the regular A320.

I suppose I'm one of the few around here who hasn't travelled on a s/h 767. My only BA experience on a 767 was on a l/h to/from NBO 14 years ago.

This presents an unexpected challenge: LHR or LCY? 767 or A319/320/321 if from LHR? I shall read up on the 767 seating thread to check how it compares with A319/320/321. I suspect BOB would be a bit of a bunfight. And deplaning at ZRH is likely to take longer (possibly a bus gate?).

We're likely to book ET as RFS redemption, unless anybody tells me that CE is worth it.

Gosh, AY 350, QR 787 and potentially BA s/h 767 in the space of little over a month. Such diversity!

rossmacd Mar 5, 2017 5:39 am

This has been in the timetable since it was released, but good news nonetheless :)

Not particularly useful for daytrippers ex-ZRH unfortunately - if it was on the 709 then it may have swayed me to book BA versus LX.

I think some of the higher D/B gates can handle bigger than the traditional Airbus airframes. However, E gates would be easier still, so Heidi will be making more of an appearance if this happens.

I wouldn't waste your Avios on CE, personally.

BA6501 Mar 5, 2017 8:07 am

No point going CE on the 767. They still retain the old cabin through to row 17 which makes a very comfortable ride.

Pilou Mar 5, 2017 8:16 am

I'm going to go against the tide and say that CE is *just* about worth it (perhaps more for ZRH than LCA). The difference in Avios (and the extra £ for RFS), in my opinion, isn't huge and is more than made up for with the (albeit somewhat minor) perks you get with CE. The last time I flew on the 767 was on LHR-ARN and it was a splendid little flight with a fun crew in CE. The BA 767s won't be around for much longer so I would definitely experience them in "style" (or as much style as is possible with CE).

Of course, none of the options compare with the 777 doing the runs on the LHR-MAD route this summer.

florens Mar 5, 2017 8:42 am

Booked one of those! Never been on a BA 767 and surely a nice change to the Airbuses

mec72 Mar 5, 2017 8:50 am

I generally consider CE on 767 a waste of Avios - given that most CE seats have Y layout (i.e. no empty middle seat), and otherwise it's an old tatty plane.

elitetraveler Mar 5, 2017 10:32 am

IMO the aisle seats in the middle section are the best as you get an empty seat next to you.

IanAsiaTraveller Mar 5, 2017 2:56 pm

Agree with the previous 2 comments. I wouldn't bother with the windows pairs of seats in CE as no middle seat free, so go for a seat in the middle section. The 767s are definitely showing their age now and I think I'd opt for the Airbus but, if you've never been in the 767 go for it as they won't be around (I hope) for too much longer.

ENTP Mar 5, 2017 3:39 pm

Contrary to the above contributors, I think these are wonderful old planes and would be my first choice amongst otherwise comparably-timed options on a given route.
That said, I would currently go to/from LCY to avoid the horrendous BoB insult.

mjuler Mar 6, 2017 1:25 am

I've been let down a few times recently by the aging (and reducing) BA short haul 767 fleet. I like flying on them, they make a nice change from the short haul Airbus fleet, but due to their age and the lack of like for like replacement when things do go wrong, I've had both cancellations and aircraft changes to smaller A321.

Roger Mar 6, 2017 2:20 am

Some very interesting POVs. Thanks, all. :)

I haven't reached a firm conclusion, but as I have several trips to book, I'm likely to book at least one on a 767, possibly out in CE and back in ET, just to compare. After all, there won't be many other opportunities to fly wide body to/from ZRH. Mrs Roger (and I for that matter) prefer/s window seats, so we'll probably forego the chance of spacious middle seats.

FWIW, our parameters:
  • LCY preferred in spite of the risk of fog disruption, even with no lounge at LCY;
  • RFS preferred. We're relatively Avios-rich (been in the game for donkeys' years *) and I see the need to reduce our balances, so RFS more likely than revenue bookings for the time being;
  • not too bothered about inflight catering, though the cheese roll and chocolate bars on our recent LX revenue flights were welcome. :) Oh, and I've had too much cold chicken salad in CE.
  • prefer not to use the Heidi train for the E dock at ZRH. Difficult to forecast, except our flights this year have been to the main terminal, so no Heidi train.

* Back then, there were just 3 BA and 3 Swissair flights a day between LHR and ZRH, with DA and charters from/to LGW. Gosh, how things have changed - for the better.

rossmacd Mar 6, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 27996907)
Some very interesting POVs. Thanks, all. :)

I haven't reached a firm conclusion, but as I have several trips to book, I'm likely to book at least one on a 767, possibly out in CE and back in ET, just to compare. After all, there won't be many other opportunities to fly wide body to/from ZRH. Mrs Roger (and I for that matter) prefer/s window seats, so we'll probably forego the chance of spacious middle seats.

FWIW, our parameters:
  • LCY preferred in spite of the risk of fog disruption, even with no lounge at LCY;
  • RFS preferred. We're relatively Avios-rich (been in the game for donkeys' years *) and I see the need to reduce our balances, so RFS more likely than revenue bookings for the time being;
  • not too bothered about inflight catering, though the cheese roll and chocolate bars on our recent LX revenue flights were welcome. :) Oh, and I've had too much cold chicken salad in CE.
  • prefer not to use the Heidi train for the E dock at ZRH. Difficult to forecast, except our flights this year have been to the main terminal, so no Heidi train.

* Back then, there were just 3 BA and 3 Swissair flights a day between LHR and ZRH, with DA and charters from/to LGW. Gosh, how things have changed - for the better.

There are plenty of widebody experiences to/from ZRH - just not on BA ;)

If you are heading into LCY, I only take LX. With the forthcoming BOB coming on BA, no idea why anyone would take BA. 99% likelihood on BA into LCY you will go from E gates, hence longer airport time. LX to LCY you are 99.99% likely to go from D gates, therefore less time required at ZRH.

My summation that the 767 would use the E gates is due to the space available - certainly some of the lower D gates (34-39 etc), I believe only have limited spaces more suitable to Airbus, and not to larger jets.

Roger Mar 6, 2017 6:33 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 27997535)
There are plenty of widebody experiences to/from ZRH - just not on BA ;)

In the context of BA716/717 being discussed in the BA Forum, I bow to your superior knowledge.

99% likelihood on BA into LCY you will go from E gates, hence longer airport time.
99% is an exaggeration. In our recent experience, our BA LCY flights have used D gates.

LX to LCY you are 99.99% likely to go from D gates, therefore less time required at ZRH.
Just as long as they don't use those dreadful Avros which were LCY-dedicated and part of the reason we paused flying LX.

Rationally, I need to get our Avios balances down so will be looking for RFS opportunities. This precludes LX for the time being in normal circumstances, cheese rolls and chocolate notwithstanding.

rossmacd Mar 6, 2017 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 27997664)
99% is an exaggeration. In our recent experience, our BA LCY flights have used D gates.

I'm afraid its not - I asked the BA-branded Dnata Supervisor at ZRH when I had a few minutes, what is the rational for using E for BA LCY, and it is linked to gate capacity and I also asked how often E-gates are used over D, and the answer is that the use of D for LCY is by exception only.

I spend too much time at ZRH :)

florens Mar 6, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 27997928)
I'm afraid its not - I asked the BA-branded Dnata Supervisor at ZRH when I had a few minutes, what is the rational for using E for BA LCY, and it is linked to gate capacity and I also asked how often E-gates are used over D, and the answer is that the use of D for LCY is by exception only.

I spend too much time at ZRH :)

My last 3 flights to/from LCY had D gates (2x airbridges, 1x C stand with bus transfer). I guess I was lucky then.