Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
No problems sharing information, but I think it's important to separate fact from rumour and conjecture.

But as we are at it I'll let you into a secret. BA are continually reviewing all aspects of their business both in the air (routes) and on the ground. Inevitably that includes lounges which are a major overhead. I didn't even need some gofer in Aberdeen airport to tell me that
Agree, I'm pretty confident that they are under review, and probably have been every couple of years for the last 10 years. So what. They reached the right conclusion last time, and I'm sure they will this time - to keep them. It is good business practice to do these reviews and to challenge yourself.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA CCR, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
If the lounge is outsourced will there be a BA staff member available? Having a BA staff member is very useful / essential during IRROP and in fact generally as a chat with a BA staff member is always welcome!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Some feelers have been sent out about this topic, and I'm pleased to say the underlying rumour here has not been substantiated. Indeed, pretty much the opposite: from about September BA will get a new lounge in a prime position on top of the airport building, with I suspect great views, as we have seen in other lounge developments such as BOS and LGW. There will be another lounge next door, run by Compass, with not quite so good an aspect.

Now I say September, and of course building works don't always go to plan, as we saw briefly at LGW. But I suspect the end result will be another good quality lounge. The only downside is that there may be a period of time over the summer, perhaps 3 months, where there may be some sort of temporary arrangement will be required: the old lounge area is needed as part of the same project. I don't know what the temporary arrangement(s) will be yet, but I will report back if I hear more.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Good news c-w-s! Aberdeen Airport's website announced the other day that they will be opening a new lounge on 01st July - Northern Lights Lounge. I think this may be the new Servisair one used by all except BA. Maybe the original story is getting muddled with BA using this one temporarily?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
so a major investment by BA to keep JamieABZ and Stu1985 happy and fizzed-up......
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Luckily we've only been in there at the same time once! They can cope with one at a time normally. Looking forward to it
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Luckily we've only been in there at the same time once! They can cope with one at a time normally. Looking forward to it
I hear Stu1985 is only just getting over the experience himself!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
well good news for ABZ

now if only BA would reintroduce domestics Aberdeen - Crawley international

cs
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
so a major investment by BA to keep JamieABZ and Stu1985 happy and fizzed-up......
You missed Jamier45 from the list.more fizz needed then
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Just had some updated information on this item relating to ABZ specifically.

As I noted previously the BA lounge in ABZ is closing on August 6th (part of the terminal refurbishment). My information now is, however, that it WILL reopen in the new location (the shell of which is now fully constructed, awaiting fit-out by BA) but not before May 2018.

In the interim BA Gold, First and Business ticket holders, will have access to the new shared (and very nice) Northern Lights Lounge which opens on July 1. I understand it is not yet confirmed if BA Silvers will get access (which will be a bit controversial if they are denied).

The current shared Swissport Lounge closes June 30th, replaced by the Northern Lights (run by Compass Group).

Also the international arrivals hall is now open (used it last night courtesy KL1451), and the new domestic area opens first week in July. There is also a new central security area that will come live around June 2018 (part of Phase 2 terminal redevelopment).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Just had some updated information on this item relating to ABZ specifically.

As I noted previously the BA lounge in ABZ is closing on August 6th (part of the terminal refurbishment). My information now is, however, that it WILL reopen in the new location (the shell of which is now fully constructed, awaiting fit-out by BA) but not before May 2018.

In the interim BA Gold, First and Business ticket holders, will have access to the new shared (and very nice) Northern Lights Lounge which opens on July 1. I understand it is not yet confirmed if BA Silvers will get access (which will be a bit controversial if they are denied).

The current shared Swissport Lounge closes June 30th, replaced by the Northern Lights (run by Compass Group).

Also the international arrivals hall is now open (used it last night courtesy KL1451), and the new domestic area opens first week in July. There is also a new central security area that will come live around June 2018 (part of Phase 2 terminal redevelopment).
Good to hear.

Never trust a horse http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27985154-post4.html

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
My info is from the horses-mouth so to say. Whilst the ABZ facility is almost built it may be incorporated into a larger shared lounge space, either way the current ABZ lounge shuts no later than August 6.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Phew! Coincidentally, I'm sitting in the ABZ BA lounge *right now* as I came across and read this thread! Good to hear plans are still ongoing, but impatient for September to come around so I can have a gander at the new lounge!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:23 am

Aberdeen Lounge Closure [Temporary]

Hi everyone, just found out through work that the Aberdeen BA lounge is closing on the 30th of July.

Gold members can use one of the other lounges apparently but the silvers are out of luck.

Kind of annoying as I do over 25 return flights per year to Aberdeen (to get silver) and now I have no lounge access!

Coming to the point where I am asking why stay with BA?

I think this might p-off many of the silver frequent flyers in the UK!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

How can they give lounge access to Gold but not Silver?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
How can they give lounge access to Gold but not Silver?
This was just from my line manager, I am flying up next week and can check.

If anyone can talk to the lounge angels and see if they can confirm this then great. If not i'll report back next week.

I think there are lots of job losses from the lounge staff as well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.